Thomas Inch

Blackdog

I am sure many of seen this but I just wanted to share. He picked it up so easily

• Like 1

Didn't the "Inch" have a hole in the handle for a little hook that was strapped to the wrist? It was a smart way to practice lifting it, if the spinning was an issue.

That didn't act like a 176# bell when he picked it up.

• Like 1

Because it wasn't. That was a hollow shot loadable with unknown weight for showmanship purposes.

• Like 7

Because it wasn't. That was a hollow shot loadable with unknown weight for showmanship purposes.

So did Inch actually ever

So did Inch ever pick up a real Inch dumbbell?

pick up a real Inch?

It would be pure speculation cause the old time strong man shows of the 1800's had a lot of trickery going on.

Clearly the Inch can be lifting by anyone willing to put the time into it.

• Like 1

I really doubt that. Not all people respond well to all types of training.

• Like 1

What's you reason for doubting that.

There's many different ways you can train to lift the Inch, you find what works for you and you put in the time training for it and it will happen. Might take years of dedication but if its what you really want then it will happen.

• Like 1

There's many different ways you can train to lift the Inch, you find what works for you and you put in the time training for it and it will happen. Might take years of dedication but if its what you really want then it will happen.

I doubt it because some people simply doesn't respond well to strength training and deadlifting the INCH is not childs play, it's a world class strength feat.

People have different potential with their genetic composition. I know it's boring but it's unfortunately the reality.

• Like 2

I see what you're saying, but I still think a good majority of people can do it. Sure some people don't have the discipline, or have biomechanical reasons why they couldn't, or can't recruit enough of their CNS, etc. but I'm still amazed at the wide variety of folks who have been able to lift it so far. Then there's the question of gender - will a woman eventually lift it? I'd say it's possible.

• Like 2

I see what you're saying, but I still think a good majority of people can do it. Sure some people don't have the discipline, or have biomechanical reasons why they couldn't, or can't recruit enough of their CNS, etc. but I'm still amazed at the wide variety of folks who have been able to lift it so far. Then there's the question of gender - will a woman eventually lift it? I'd say it's possible.

There are a lot of really strong women in Powerlifting now.

I think the biggest reason you don't see more people lifting is cost. Not everyone has $500-$650 sitting around for one. If someone could have them made for half that or did a big group buy and get some more of them out there I think you would see them getting lifted more often.

• Like 2

Womens grip strength is too weak I think. World record for women in RT is 77 kg. Add (20 kg?) to that number then maybe that woman will have a chance to lift the inch?

I'm more interested if a women will certify on the COC#2.5. I think thats possible, more reachable at the moment.

I doubt it because some people simply doesn't respond well to strength training and deadlifting the INCH is not childs play, it's a world class strength feat.

People have different potential with their genetic composition. I know it's boring but it's unfortunately the reality.

Genetics can be beat with dedication and training. To blame genetics is the easy way out. If a person wants something bad enough they will do whatever it takes to get it. Regardless of genetics. Anyone that is healthy enough is more than capable to do great things.

• Like 7

So did Inch actually ever

So did Inch ever pick up a real Inch dumbbell?

pick up a real Inch?

There is a place you might be interested in that will give you the info you need to make the decision for yourself on whether Inch actually "lifted" the full-size Inch dumbbell in the fashion(s) he claims to have done it. Iron History. Join up and enjoy the reading!

• Like 1

Not every man, no matter how hard they try, is capable of running 100 meters under 10 seconds. Same for running a mile under 4 minutes. Grip training is not immune from genetic limitations; there are not special laws of nature that apply only when it comes to matters Grip.

That being said, lifting the Inch is not as difficult as breaking 10 seconds or 4 minutes. There is no place like this forum to see what is possible. So far, on the Inch, I nominate Bob Sundin for taking us to the edge for all to see what can be done with the Inch.

• Like 7

Now you are applying common sense which, sadly, is not common at all. Often you will find that people who believe the sky is the limit in grip never actually achieve greatness in grip strength. What often happens is that they train extremely hard and then the hands break because they never had the genetics required in the first place. How many times have we heard..."I will close the #4 one day"... Bob Sundin had pretty good thickbar strength for his size (eg as measured by his RT numbers) when he decided to go after the Inch for example so it did not exactly come out of nowhere.

Not every man, no matter how hard they try, is capable of running 100 meters under 10 seconds. Same for running a mile under 4 minutes. Grip training is not immune from genetic limitations; there are not special laws of nature that apply only when it comes to matters Grip.

That being said, lifting the Inch is not as difficult as breaking 10 seconds or 4 minutes. There is no place like this forum to see what is possible. So far, on the Inch, I nominate Bob Sundin for taking us to the edge for all to see what can be done with the Inch.

• Like 4

Couldn't agree more.

Bob is most defiantly a source of inspiration for me since we are pretty much the same size. Granted I'm only working towards getting my Baby Inch in the air but still its great to see what someone around 175lbs can do.

• Like 2

This thread fueled my Inch Dumbbell desire more. There's a guy at my gym that I just found out is a grip dude also... we talk the same language. Maybe he will go halves on the Inch and we leave it at the the gym.

This thread fueled my Inch Dumbbell desire more. There's a guy at my gym that I just found out is a grip dude also... we talk the same language. Maybe he will go halves on the Inch and we leave it at the the gym.

You could also start with something like the wrist wrench the replicates the feeling of it.

• Like 1

I think it's difficult to compare to grippers because of the fact that grippers vary in their resistance. The INCH dumbell doesn't. It has always been and will always be the same weight, same handle diameter and the same rules for lifting it.

The reason there is more COC#3 closer is obviously because it's very difficult to find an INCH to train with, it's not like everyone can just buy one and have it at home and most gyms doesn't have one. Anyone can buy and have grippers, even carry them around where ever they want :)

Imagine if some dumbells had slightly narrower handle diameter and slightly lighter weight, we would probably see more people lifting some of them. Welcome to gripper world :D

Also, armwrestlers do thickbar training so it's not like they haven't done the proper training for it. Same with grippers, most armwrestlers has probably trained with grippers at some point in time.

I think it's difficult to compare to grippers because of the fact that grippers vary in their resistance. The INCH dumbell doesn't. It has always been and will always be the same weight, same handle diameter and the same rules for lifting it.

The reason there is more COC#3 closer is obviously because it's very difficult to find an INCH to train with, it's not like everyone can just buy one and have it at home and most gyms doesn't have one. Anyone can buy and have grippers, even carry them around where ever they want :)

Imagine if some dumbells had slightly narrower handle diameter and slightly lighter weight, we would probably see more people lifting some of them. Welcome to gripper world :D

Also, armwrestlers do thickbar training so it's not like they haven't done the proper training for it. Same with grippers, most armwrestlers has probably trained with grippers at some point in time.

Thank you for all the pointers. I only just started training grip. I hope to one day close a #3, lift the inch, and maybe get a chance to train with some real world class arm wrestlers at some point, and hear from them directly how and what they train. I think one day when i have done all those things, i will come to a different conculsion than my above post..

Haha! Something to aspire to!

Thank you for all the pointers. I only just started training grip. I hope to one day close a #3, lift the inch, and maybe get a chance to train with some real world class arm wrestlers at some point, and hear from them directly how and what they train. I think one day when i have done all those things, i will come to a different conculsion than my above post..

One day buddy, one day. Then maybe you could take up bending and bend some elite things as well. The sky is the limit. You better get to it.

• Like 3

I have actually seen guys walk right up to an inch and fully lift it, on multiple occasions. Without ever having specifically training for it. Were they all monsters, or very competitive arm wrestlers?.. Of course. But, i have never seen, with my own eyes, anyone ever walk up and close a #3 that had never specifically trained for it. Ever.

That said, and being that there are a ton of #3 closers out there, i would be willing to put money on the fact that if there were an inch db replica in every gym out there, we would see way more inch lifts than we do 3 closers.

To me, deadlifting the inch is only a world class feat if a guy like Bob, who basically weighs the same as the bell, lifts it. Or if a guy with sub 7" hands were to lift it. Or if a female were to one day lift it. Im not at all saying that lifting the inch to a full upright deadlift position isnt quite a feat.. But have a very hard time allowing myself to believe that deadlifting my bell with 1 hand to a full deadlift position, is world class.. I am a 220lb guy who works with my hands every day... Imo, i BETTER be able to lift that bell with at least 1 hand! Lol

I come to this conclusion based simply off the fact that i have literally seen more people lift an inch db in person, than i have seen people CCS a #3 in person. But somehow the list of #3 closers is bigger than the list of inch db lifters. Even when only counting the guys on the #3 list who have certed with a CCS.

cleaning the bell is world class. Bar none. Simply lifting it is more of a staple, or benchmark thickbar feat. ....imo. Unless you are as light, or lighter than Bob. Or have sub 7" hands. Or are a lady. Lol

I read this about 5 times. I can't really disagree with it, because I believe you.

Weird thing is, I "respect"the feat of strength, in general, more of an Inch Lifter than I do a Number 3 Closer, even a credit card set closer. I guess because I think it is a combination of grip and strength that is more "respectable" than closing a gripper. I have no explanation as to "why", I just do. So yeah, Bob Sundin pulling that sucker up is more of a "take that sucker" move to a giant than a 150 pound guy closing a Number 3 to the same giant. It might just be how cool the old-fashioned style of the thing is, I don't know...

• Like 3