The Andrew Durniat Show

bencrush

First off, let me say that I had a great time chatting with Andrew the night before the contest. We talked about training and I got a glimpse into his thoughts on some strength-related things. He's one of the most thoughtful guys I've ever talked with. Where most of us might just grab a bar and center it with a quick glance, he has spent a lot more time going over other subtle - but quite significant - details. Sometimes his ideas go completely against what the standard practice for that lift might be. But his results are beyond questioning. He's still so humble that I think my wife had a hard time believing that he had done all the crazy strength feats I told her about since he was quietly (while still friendly and approachable) going about his business at the contest. Andrew spent as much time cheering on the least accomplished lifters as the top 5 guys. Afterwards he gave out some of his great personalized shirts and then put on another show in the record breaking and feats part of the grip contest.

I don't have time right now for a big write-up of the contest. So I'll pick and choose some of the most impressive things he did on Saturday.

DURING THE CONTEST:

Andrew pulled 250lbs on the 2" vbar and won by 20lbs over my 230lb pull. He also pulled 275lbs to a legal height, but couldn't pause it. He can now comment on how much harder 2" vbar is in the USAWA comps since even 275lbs is probably 35lbs below his max on an FBBC 2" vbar with standard grip contest rules. He now has the all-time USAWA 2" vbar record.

In the One-Hand Thumbless-Grip Deadlift he stunned most in attendance with a super solid 308lb pull!!! He had more in the tank. Pulled it to the front and to full lockout too. My OHTGDL strength was down quite a bit, but I had 2nd place with 230lbs. There was that big of a difference in his strength and everyone else's. I had predicted a few weeks ago when I was training with Al that Andrew would be the first man to pull at least 300lbs on that lift in the USAWA. He was so impressed when Andrew pulled that 308lbs with no problem at all.

In the Double Inch Handle Deadlift Andrew finished with 180lbs per hand! Broke another all-time USAWA record previously held by Matt Graham. The Inch Handles that we used feel VERY similar to the Inch Replica handles. They might even be a tad slicker since I heard that comment more than a few times. I only got 120lbs a handle for comparison.

In the Pinkys Deadlift he also stunned most with a 200lb pull! I also guessed that's where he'd finish at. I had some uncanny guesses and I think I was right on the money with most of them and only off 8lbs on the OHTGDL estimate. He had never even practiced the Pinkys Deadlift. I, on the other hand, had been working on it for quite some time. Glad I did too because I needed every bit of pain tolerance and strength to hang most of the way with him. I ended with 175lbs on a 3rd attempt and won that event since he pulled 165lbs on his 3rd. The 200lb lift was an extra record attempt.

He lifted 6lbs on the Weaver Stick to the front. A very solid lift.

His after-contest performances were very strong too. Here's just some of what he did afterwards:

-Full deadlifted the Inch Replica lefty with ease.

-Attempted - and got about 3/16" to 1/4" away from what I heard - Jason Payne's "Heartbreaker." Josh nicknamed it that because it's a calibrated 190lbs+ old, steel-handled, wide spread #3.

-Hub lifted the nasty slope-hubbed York 45 to his armpit and then paused it for a picture! That 45 hub has stumped everyone who's tried it so far. And some pretty strong hub lifters have tried. That impressed a few guys more than any of his other performances.

-Reeves Deadlifted 365lbs on some plates that didn't have very favorable rims. I pulled 275lbs on them and had a lot more in the tank, but I don't think I would've been able to pull the weight he did since I train on more favorable plates.

-Pulled 212lbs (or thereabouts) on Al's Rolling Thunder.

He probably did more than that but I lost track since I was doing some of my own stuff by then.

Very impressive lifting by Andrew. He's simply one of the best.

Great reports! While all the feats described are very impressive the 308# thumbless OHDL to the front just really sticks out :bow

Great reports! While all the feats described are very impressive the 308# thumbless OHDL to the front just really sticks out :bow

It's my vote for the most impressive feat he did that day too. I'm not exaggerating when I say that he looked so comfortable at the lockout - holding that weight perfectly still and under total control - that it looked like he could've nonchalantly smoked a cigarette during the lift.

It's my vote for the most impressive feat he did that day too. I'm not exaggerating when I say that he looked so comfortable at the lockout - holding that weight perfectly still and under total control - that it looked like he could've nonchalantly smoked a cigarette during the lift.

Ben, when you say thumbless, does it mean just "no hook" or is the thumb actually wrapped on the same side of the rest of the fingers, like many people wrap them when they do a pull-up?

Ben, when you say thumbless, does it mean just "no hook" or is the thumb actually wrapped on the same side of the rest of the fingers, like many people wrap them when they do a pull-up?

The thumb is just wrapped on the same side as the other fingers.

Then that is off the charts!! What can he do with a regular no-hook grip with the thumb wrapped over the finger!?!? :whacked

Then that is off the charts!! What can he do with a regular no-hook grip with the thumb wrapped over the finger!?!? :whacked

I have no idea what he can do with a normal grip. Safe to say it would be pretty big. Maybe 375-400lbs on a good bar?

Not sure now, but in September it was 440# just above the knees. I would bet he could lock it out now.

I think a hook grip was used there. Andrew may clarify this. If no hook grip was used, that would be... :yikes

Like Florian, I'm assuming he used a hook grip for the 440# attempt.

Me too since he's already pulled 440lbs (with a hook) in a USAWA competition a few years ago.

The 440# was with a hook grip. I'm posting videos of my lifts as I type and will embed them once they are up.

It was a great comp and I highly encourage all to get to Al's Dino Gym at some point in time, it's just incredible. The lifting and energy in that building is beyond belief. Al has build just about every piece of equipment in the building. Everything from strongman to highland games and everything in between. I also believe he has every grip implement ever created.

It was great to final meet Ben and his wife Carrie. You were very warm hosts. Ben and I got to talk training the night before and lots of training talk was happening throughout the contest. It was great to talk with the few guys training strongman after the comp and watch them go through medley runs.

Ok, here are my lifts. Not a bad day and a good set-up for the upcoming Arnold.

• 4 years later...

Well even I did weightlifting after taking a cig.. I know it is not good but I was really very comfortable with it..

Well even I did weightlifting after taking a cig.. I know it is not good but I was really very comfortable with it..

So you're first post here on GB was to bump a 4 year old thread with an insight where you completely mmissed the point trying to be made. Nice.

• Like 2

So you're first post here on GB was to bump a 4 year old thread with an insight where you completely mmissed the point trying to be made. Nice.

It's my vote for the most impressive feat he did that day too. I'm not exaggerating when I say that he looked so comfortable at the lockout - holding that weight perfectly still and under total control - that it looked like he could've nonchalantly taken some molly during the lift.

FTFY

Just kidding. :)

It's my vote for the most impressive feat he did that day too. I'm not exaggerating when I say that he looked so comfortable at the lockout - holding that weight perfectly still and under total control - that it looked like he could've nonchalantly smoked a ecig named as Aerotank during the lift.

Sorry for dumping an old thread but it was just my experience which I wanted to share..