Roughing Up The Blob

Dagars

Can't remember where, but I watched a youtube video that made sense to me. It said rough up part of the surface of a blob that you can't lift it if your goal is strength gains rather than comparisons with others (i.e. its a bit of a cheat but it will help you lift it).

My question is: whats the best way to rough it up a bit in one or two select areas? I want some texture and for it to hold chalk well. I tried some sandpaper but it wasn't that great - just removed some paint really.

Cheers

Before altering the surface try cleaning it really good and lifting with no to very very little chalk. Once you get to where you can lift it regularly - you might be sorry you altered it.

• Like 3

Before altering the surface try cleaning it really good and lifting with no to very very little chalk. Once you get to where you can lift it regularly - you might be sorry you altered it. -

I guess cleaning would get rid of grease etc but the paint is still really slippy. I was thinking of just roughening one small region of each side of the circumference that my fingers contact.

I may try masking tape on mine tomorrow. Little bit of texture, should hold chalk, and most importantly it is reversible in about 10 seconds.

I would leave the surface the same and just deload it.

• Like 1

I am getting the message I should avoid anything permanent - probably good advice that I will take. Thanks all...However, has anybody altered the surface and found it a good thing?

I am getting the message I should avoid anything permanent - probably good advice that I will take. Thanks all...However, has anybody altered the surface and found it a good thing?

The closest I have came is misting a really slick one with a water bottle and then dusted it with chalk, they made it chalk stick and seasoned up a bit faster.

• Like 1

If you invested the money to have a Blob don't change the surface. If it just a blockweight, have at it. Wire brush the paint off, sand it, grind it, coat it with crinkle paint, and when it gets too easy coat it in oven paint.
  • Like 1

If you invested the money to have a Blob don't change the surface. If it just a blockweight, have at it. Wire brush the paint off, sand it, grind it, coat it with crinkle paint, and when it gets too easy coat it in oven paint.

My blob is a bit scuffed up already from drags and the like - I wasn't planning on changing the profile or anything. Just wanted a surface only slightly rougher than the drag scuffs. A grinder certainly sounds a bit drastic and wont be going down that line.

You could try skate board grip tape on small sections of the blob which is easy to take off after.

Is

Can't remember where, but I watched a youtube video that made sense to me. It said rough up part of the surface of a blob that you can't lift it if your goal is strength gains rather than comparisons with others (i.e. its a bit of a cheat but it will help you lift it).

My question is: whats the best way to rough it up a bit in one or two select areas? I want some texture and for it to hold chalk well. I tried some sandpaper but it wasn't that great - just removed some paint really.

Cheers

Is this from my Block Weight DVD? In it, I show how you can turn 1 block weight into at least 3 with some slight modifications, which I learned from Clay Edgin.

In my opinion, it's a great training method, provided you're honest with yourself and the rest of the community if your first lifts are done on the modified portions of the blob/block.

However, I'm with the others - I wouldn't do anything to a half 100 york. They are too sacred, in my opinion, to modify. I wouldn't even re-paint them.

• Like 2

The blob 50s are painted with flat black Rustoleum when they are in the new condition.

Is

Cheers

Is this from my Block Weight DVD? In it, I show how you can turn 1 block weight into at least 3 with some slight modifications, which I learned from Clay Edgin.

In my opinion, it's a great training method, provided you're honest with yourself and the rest of the community if your first lifts are done on the modified portions of the blob/block.

However, I'm with the others - I wouldn't do anything to a half 100 york. They are too sacred, in my opinion, to modify. I wouldn't even re-paint them.

Now that you mention it - I think it probably was.

I have decided no to do anything to my blob except keep on trying to lift it...its one tough task!!

Thanks to all for your advice

Altering the surface of the Blob by anything other than natural rust ,wear and patina is kinda defeating the challenge. The shape and finish make it a worthy feat. 50 lb. Isn't much of a pinch otherwise.

Keep hydrated, Blob degreased,and clean , wash Hans right prior to gripping to raise natural ridges of fingerprints and to eliminate oils. Chalk.....never used it with good results . If you keep a warm wet cloth nearby you can easily hydrate your hands. The dryer , and tougher skin is the less chance for success. Let nature do its work.

• Like 2

Altering the surface of the Blob by anything other than natural rust ,wear and patina is kinda defeating the challenge. The shape and finish make it a worthy feat. 50 lb. Isn't much of a pinch otherwise.

Keep hydrated, Blob degreased,and clean , wash Hans right prior to gripping to raise natural ridges of fingerprints and to eliminate oils. Chalk.....never used it with good results . If you keep a warm wet cloth nearby you can easily hydrate your hands. The dryer , and tougher skin is the less chance for success. Let nature do its work.

Really interesting. I have heard about washing your hands to get rid of oil etc but the fingerprints thing is new to me. Also I had never considered keeping my hands hydrated throughout training and always used lots of chalk. I will certainly give this a go and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the advice - new stuff to try is always motivating.

Cheers

Do as what everyone said. Do not modify your blob

I sprayed all my blobs with "truck bed liner" its very similar to rhino lining. Ive really noticed no difference as far as how much easier it makes it. But it does however hold chalk evenlly and make every lift like a good lift with perfect chalk... Good luck plus if it ever became a problem i could take it off with some kind of paint remover.