The decision to attend a Grip Contest.

anwnate

Once a person becomes addicted to Gripsport, they are soon confronted by the realization that he/she cannot attend each and every grip contest. :( 

I'm pretty sure that for 99% of us, the biggest limiting factor is cost. There is a limited amount of money you can invest in attending contests.  This may mean you attend only local competitions…or maybe make one "away" trip, such as Nationals or Gripmas.

I think it's a given that local contests are within everyone's scope…even if they have to promote their own. 

For this exercise, let's assume that everyone has the funds to cover one "away" contest a year (usually involves 2 nights in a hotel, plus gas/tolls/food…and some people a plane ticket).  Carpooling/bunking can often defer the cost.

Money aside…I'm interested to know how other people make their decision about attending a contest …specifically, which factors rate the highest.

I'm going to write some factors in no particular order.  If I didn't mention yours…add it in to the mix.  

Events:  You love the stub lift!  Finally these knuckleheads realized the stub's greatness and this is your time to shine!

Time:  You have the time…or don't (work, baby, conflicting dates).

Social atmosphere:  Grip comps are opportunities to meet people (who share your passion) who you know online and never see.

Training Update:  You've been training hard…it's time to see what kind of progress you've made in the last 6 months.

Friend:  Your buddy is throwing a contest.  No way you are gonna miss supporting your grip pal!

Numbers:  This comp is gonna be BIG!  More people, more weight classes.  Thank god you are not the only one in Bob Sundin's weight class.

Attendees:  Your hero is attending.  Whoa!  Gotta meet this guy/girl.

Supporting Gripsport:  Better attendance = better contests = more contests = Gripsport growth.

Learning:  While particularly important to newbies, people like Chris, Jedd, etc. are always dropping the knowledge bombs at these events.  A little in person instruction can rev up the PR machine.

Event "Aura":  Gripmas?  Let's call it "Grip Reunion Comp."  People who have disappeared show up from nowhere to be part of a well run, good rep contest.

Reciprocity:  Shit!  Shoggoth attended your comp.  Now you got to go to Rocky Mountain Canada???

Road Trip!:  Life is burning you out.  Time to get the heck out of Dodge.

Basically…I'm curious what's most important to you.  Each one of us are inherently different.  As a new promoter I'm particularly interested as it may help me organize a better event.

• Like 7

Top 5 for me are probably:

Distance - How far am I going to have to drive? Will I need a hotel? Do I need to fly?

Time - How many contests do I have this month? How close am I to peaking for whatever I'm training for? Do I have any other conflicts?

Body Condition - How beat up am I from previous contests? Am I running a risk of injury by competing right now?

Attendees - Will I have the opportunity to meet new cool folks that I have only met online or seen in videos?

Friends - Self explanatory

• Like 5

The following are some of my biggest factors:

Event Timing - Are there other armwrestling / grip sport events that I'm already scheduled to attend during the same time period? It's hard to properly peak for multiple events that are close together. And I don't like competing when I don't feel like I'm ready.

Expected Competition Level - I'm most interested in going to an event where it will be challenging, but not impossible, to place top 3. Competing in an event where I have either no hope of doing well, or where I win easily, isn't very motivating. This factor is particularly important for events where I'll be travelling long distances.

Events - Due to long term wear and tear on the body, or simply due to a recent injury, there are a few events that I simply cannot perform with heavy weight (either for a certain period of time or forever). If a contest involves one of these events, and I know my score will tank because of it, I'm much less motivated to attend.

• Like 1

Since 99% of comps are between 2500-3000 miles for me the main factor is will my flight be $300 or $700, then add to that food, uber or a rental car, and two nights in a hotel that I wouldn't dare turn on a black light in and its easy to be $900+ for me.

That's one the many reasons I have been trying to grow it more on the west coast.

Edited by Jared Goguen
  • Like 2

All valid (especially trying to build on that reciprocal aspect :D). Another factor for me is what else is available to do in the area. The distance I typically have to travel means I'm better off spending a decent amount of time in the area and take in the sights, food, sounds, food, and the local cuisine. Heading out east to Mike's comp was an awesome experience that'll be tough to duplicate as well as the couple of times down to Aaron's. Awesome people, tons of history, and oh mama, the food. I can honestly say I probably never would've had the opportunity to try scrapple without traveling down south. 

• Like 2

With the SJ3, it was two things: meeting people from the board/seeing some old people from past comps (knowing turnout was going to be big) and the chance to compete in a bending contest again.  The thought of bending against other competitors really helped to light the fire again for me.  

I think the swaying point for me all-around is having events that aren't going to kill me due to hand-size-or at least having some events that will even things out overall.  Like the New York event was great, even though it had the RT, as it also had the Hub and 20mm block set grippers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, anwnate said:

Reciprocity:  Shit!  Shoggoth attended your comp.  Now you got to go to Rocky Mountain Canada???

Reciprocity?!? Dude, when are we going to Canada, eh?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JHenze646 said:

Reciprocity?!? Dude, when are we going to Canada, eh?

Actually...I just got a passport card. 

Note: The first part of that deal was Shoggoth attending say...SJ4?

"Another factor for me is what else is available to do in the area." -Shoggoth

BTW Jason...I'm 20min from Philly, 1hr from the coast (A.C. anyone?) and 2 hours from both D.C. and NYC. ;)

• Like 1

Distance and events.

Distance is really only an issue because of the time spent away from home and the cost, and this is sadly the largest factor.

I do not particularly care for a handful of events, and am unlikely to attend a comp. with said events.

I know cool people and a great atmosphere is a part of essentially every comp, so no worries there :)

1 hour ago, anwnate said:

Actually...I just got a passport card. 

Note: The first part of that deal was Shoggoth attending say...SJ4?

"Another factor for me is what else is available to do in the area." -Shoggoth

BTW Jason...I'm 20min from Philly, 1hr from the coast (A.C. anyone?) and 2 hours from both D.C. and NYC. ;)

Gail bugs me a lot to go to New York. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

Gail bugs me a lot to go to New York. 

I really like Gail.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, avasatu said:

Distance and events.

Distance is really only an issue because of the time spent away from home and the cost, and this is sadly the largest factor.

I do not particularly care for a handful of events, and am unlikely to attend a comp. with said events.

I know cool people and a great atmosphere is a part of essentially every comp, so no worries there :)

Heya Anthony.  Could you elaborate on the handful of events? 

Here in North America, it's pretty much the standard to have 4 (such as Nats, WSH, KK or Gripmas), while the "sanctioned" minimum is 3.  In general, they spread crush, pinch, support and a medley.  

Contests with 5 or more are much less common (in the US particularly).  

They seem very dependent on time...due to number of contestants (such as this year's Gripmas) or the events being particularly light in weight (such as Horne's Griptopz implements).  

I actually don't remember the last time a NAGS contest had only 3.  Pardon...technically SJ3's "official" sanctioned contest had 3, but there were 6 contested events total...or 5 + Bending.

Events would be the most important consideration as most of the time I would be the only one in the 74k class anyway. I would not compete unless the Euro pinch is contested and preferably also the axle deadlift. When you live on the other side of the planet from most you want to make the most of it by ensuring you get a result in the most contested events. I have to fork out with several thousand dollars if I want to compete as grip competition interest in Australia is very close to zero. Too expensive to fly overseas just to score results in some of the more obscure events.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Events would be the most important consideration as most of the time I would be the only one in the 74k class anyway. I would not compete unless the Euro pinch is contested and preferably also the axle deadlift. When you live on the other side of the planet from most you want to make the most of it by ensuring you get a result in the most contested events. I have to fork out with several thousand dollars if I want to compete as grip competition interest in Australia is very close to zero. Too expensive to fly overseas just to score results in some of the more obscure events.

I'm sorry I don't know...you've been on the GB predating myself by a heck of a lot.

Have you ever promoted contests from a local gym etc?  

I've seen a lot of really strong gym guys like to (attempt anyway) show off.  Grip seems to humble some to run away...and inspire others.

A big factor is advance notice. The sooner the announcement is made the easier it is to schedule things(or to start complaining till the schedule changes). 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

A big factor is advance notice. The sooner the announcement is made the easier it is to schedule things(or to start complaining till the schedule changes). 

According to our PM's...you were officially informed about SJ4's date on April 6th 2016 :) .  No...seriously.

I'm hoping that 467 days will make it super easy for yah. ;)   No...seriously.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, anwnate said:

According to our PM's...you were officially informed about SJ4's date on April 6th 2016 :) .  No...seriously.

*drops the mic*

• Like 3

10 hours ago, anwnate said:

Heya Anthony.  Could you elaborate on the handful of events? 

Here in North America, it's pretty much the standard to have 4 (such as Nats, WSH, KK or Gripmas), while the "sanctioned" minimum is 3.  In general, they spread crush, pinch, support and a medley.  

Contests with 5 or more are much less common (in the US particularly).  

They seem very dependent on time...due to number of contestants (such as this year's Gripmas) or the events being particularly light in weight (such as Horne's Griptopz implements).  

I actually don't remember the last time a NAGS contest had only 3.  Pardon...technically SJ3's "official" sanctioned contest had 3, but there were 6 contested events total...or 5 + Bending.

I personally prefer to avoid blockset grippers (tiny hands and setting aggravates my thumbs and elbows), axle deadlifts (personal preference plus back issues), and medleys (don't like the idea of lifting fixed objects at a comp.). I am also not a fan of bending in the slightest because it seems to produce injury and slow all other training for most. Yes, I realize a large chunk of contests will have one or more of these events. I'm at peace with it! :D

I like the idea of wide pinch in principle, but would not be thrilled to compete in it also due to hand size. It should be noted that when I attend a competition, I go there in large part to perform reasonably well with respect to my peers, not JUST or even primarily to meet people and talk to other guys (though that obviously IS a huge draw). This line of thinking of course affects my event preferences compared to, say, the people who go mainly for the social aspect. Of course, my preferences are expected to change over time, since I am still very new.

An example of a recent contest which on paper fits my desires almost exactly would be NCGC. Choked grippers :rock, 1HP, revolving handle, and tips tester. Any type of V Bar, Hub, Key Pinch, Sledge event is also attractive to me. The more one handed a comp is, the better, I suppose. 

Edited by avasatu
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, anwnate said:

I will try to squeeze it in. Maybe... 

• Like 1

Events (that I enjoy training for) and the whole road trip aspect.  I have had some of the best laughs on trips to armwrestling and grip competitions and have traveled with some of the strongest fellas.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Biggest factor: not strong enough yet :cool

Booooooo!

Unless there is a qualifier...you are cheating yourself of a good time and lots of advice from top grip guys.

I had the same thought as you at first.  Jedd convinced me to go to my first comp.  "Come and get the experience Brotherrrrrr!"

I came in second to last...barely beating Brents wife.  But!  I had the time of my life and started a journey I hope to continue until I'm old and gray (or older and grayer).;)

• Like 3

I know I know, just had to put it out there. Mostly don't have the time lately but I prefer to have multiple excuses.