2016 North American Grip Sport Championship

Jedd Johnson

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

People don’t want to have to travel – that I understand but by gaining one thing we will certainly lose out on what has always been the best thing about Grip Nationals – that “I worked my ass off and here I stand with the best in the world at something, all under one roof going head to head with the very best”.  You aren’t going to have that with multiple venues.  Things that come too easily have very little value in the long run.

I agree!

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

People don’t want to have to travel – that I understand but by gaining one thing we will certainly lose out on what has always been the best thing about Grip Nationals – that “I worked my ass off and here I stand with the best in the world at something, all under one roof going head to head with the very best”.  You aren’t going to have that with multiple venues.  Things that come too easily have very little value in the long run.

Yup, I agree that's why I'm being patient and gaining strength. I want to be competitive and not an easy win for Jedd..or anyone else. Screw that, even if I lose as long as  gave one of the top guys a hard time on the field of combat, I would be happy. Can't win them all but if I'm going to spring the money to go a national event with the best, I need to be the best.

I think a Novice division is what's needed. That way people can get that taste, they win the division they can't compete in novice. Since we are a small group it shouldn't be too hard to track and make sure strong people aren't trophy hunting. That's one aspect of NAS I like, win novice you move up, if the contest is heavy, train harder. Or be patient.

2 hours ago, climber511 said:

17 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

I agree!

From my heart...I agree with you @climber511 (and @Lucasraymond).

From my head...I'm not so sure.

I don't know how many on the board read and then analysed the NAGSC stats I pinned, but...

in the last 5 years, there have been...

58 (total) individual competitors at NAGSC.

3 people have gone 5 times in 5 years.

1 person has gone 4 times in 5 years.

5 people have gone 3 times in 5 years.

8 people have gone 2 times in 5 years.

41 people have gone 1 time and have yet to come back.

If that's okay with you...well then, don't make any changes in Gripsport in the U.S...and nothing will change.

If it's not, then we need to talk about it.

I think it would be great if Gripsport reached a "tipping point"...where the numbers of gripsters created a momentum that would carry it forward (like...errr Crossfit?).

I think it's obvious that we are not there yet.  I'll train grip whether or not it gets bigger, or whether or not there are contests, but I feel that the majority of people would like the sport to grow (and that's how I lean also).

• Like 4

I am attending Nationals this year.  This will be my first time although I have been meaning to go for awhile.  I have competed at least a dozen times in grip, but my location in Michigan has given me many opportunities to compete without have to drive more than 3 hours.  Gripmas is the furthest I have traveled, I think it was in 2009, and it was about a 6 hour drive.  I had a great time, one of my favorite contests, but lately I've been vacationing in Florida around that time so I haven't made it back.

If I am going to travel farther than a few hours and spend money on food hotels etc. I want to be able to train specifically for a contest for at least 3 months.  Last year I was not able to do this so I didn't go.  This year I was and I am looking forward to it regardless of my placing.  That being said, Nationals are only about 4 hours from me so I can drive.  If it was in California I probably would not go as financially it just would not be possible for me unless I sacrificed money that I could be spending on my family for vacation, something I would not do.

I think regionals sounds like a great idea.  For nationals I like the sound of a novice division that has no qualification standards.  It would be really beneficial for newer guys to see Nationals and still get to compete even though they are not on the strength level with National competitions that have met qualification standards.  It sounds like a lot of guys would like to go but do not feel "ready" yet or can't qualify.  For those of you that this describes, would a novice division get you to come to Nationals and compete? 

5 hours ago, Jeff Parker said:

For nationals I like the sound of a novice division that has no qualification standards.  It would be really beneficial for newer guys to see Nationals and still get to compete even though they are not on the strength level with National competitions that have met qualification standards.  It sounds like a lot of guys would like to go but do not feel "ready" yet or can't qualify.  For those of you that this describes, would a novice division get you to come to Nationals and compete? 

Absolutely not, it would be like any other contest in that case. When I think of nationals I think of folk who've competed in the season and won, and qualified. I think novice should be just be regulated to the "Contest Season" If you don't meet the required qualification to go to nationals simply train harder. I keep going back to how North American Strongman does it, because I believe that's a model that works. If you win a novice division in a regular contest, then you should bump up to open classes/divisions. Top 3 in the open should get to go to nationals, and or those that have completed the already established qual standards. I see no reason in fluffing the qualifications to boost numbers. 

What could also be done is have regionals as the stepping stone to Nationals. With the top 3 in each class from regular contest going to regionals (again numbers matter here) I can't for the life of me figure out any other way to boost numbers other then setting up contests in conjunction with Expos, and with other strength contests. Another Idea is set up a GripBoard booth at the arnold and have people try all the cool toys we mess with. WE as community buy the spot and a bunch of us congregate there and have fun.

National's should be earned!  Novice division is fine for regular competition but at National's - no way!  You earn the right to stand on that stage - and until you do you're a spectator there.  Lots of different regular comps being held these days - Nationals are supposed to be the Olympics of Grip Sport.  The only thing that should be of a higher standard is if someone manages to put together a "World Championship" - for which qualifications should be even higher. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, climber511 said:

National's should be earned!  Novice division is fine for regular competition but at National's - no way!  You earn the right to stand on that stage - and until you do you're a spectator there.  Lots of different regular comps being held these days - Nationals are supposed to be the Olympics of Grip Sport.  The only thing that should be of a higher standard is if someone manages to put together a "World Championship" - for which qualifications should be even higher. 

World Championship sounds mind blowing. 

I guess this thread kind of took a turn when there were questions about attendance. I apologize for my part in it.  Perhaps there should be a different thread created to address those concerns? I'll throw one out there.  Now...back to NAGSC 2016. GL attendees!

This is still what we've got at this point (below).  I'm not opposed to letting more people sign up if they missed the deadline, HOWEVER, Andrew and I are deciding how to award medals this year, so if the numbers all of a sudden shift in a big way any later in the game than this, there is definitely a chance that enough medals will not be able to be ordered.  Just an FYI.

Women
Maria Bascetta

Men

83kg
Michael Rogowski

93kg
Lucas Raymond
Gil Goodman

105kg
Jeff Parker
Andrew Durniat
Jake Sahlaney

120kg
Jedd Johnson
Andrew Pantke

These look like some good match ups in most classes. I think we are going to see a fight for the overall.

• Like 1

@nickr104, Nick Rosendaul informed me this morning that the prior commitment he had has changed, and would like to attend Nationals.  He then provided 3 qualification videos that show he appears to be stronger than ever, primarily based on Strongman-related grip work.  So, the updated list is:

Women
Maria Bascetta

Men

83kg
Michael Rogowski

93kg
Lucas Raymond
Gil Goodman

105kg
Jeff Parker
Andrew Durniat
Jake Sahlaney

120kg
Jedd Johnson
Andrew Pantke
Nick Rosendaul

• Like 6

I have mixed feelings about a novice division at nationals. If I'm going to nationals to compete with the best of the best. I want to hang with them the whole way. I believe I could in a year or 2, if I'm still training for grip sport.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2016 at 1:10 PM, JStepien said:

I have mixed feelings about a novice division at nationals. If I'm going to nationals to compete with the best of the best. I want to hang with them the whole way. I believe I could in a year or 2, if I'm still training for grip sport.

I think you're being very hard on yourself.  Your numbers are very good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I think you're being very hard on yourself.  Your numbers are very good. 

Based on his FB posts...I actually think he's got an odd (depreciative) sense of humor Jedd.  

You are correct...and I fully expect him to impress everyone in 10 days.

• Like 1

Honestly, I agree, probably, being too hard. I've have really not trained for SJ3. Usually, under 2 weeks to an event, I'm excited, but lately, I've been depressed as hell

Edited by JStepien
Missed word

Good Luck and safe travels to everyone going to Nationals this weekend!

• Like 2

A small but mighty field.

I'm really curious to see who wins the 93kg class. With this line-up of events, I really think it could go either way.

44 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

A small but mighty field.

I'm really curious to see who wins the 93kg class. With this line-up of events, I really think it could go either way.

Gil...no questions! Im no where peaked for grip right now!

It's that sledge event that I think you may be able to really make up for other events.

• Like 1

Results:

Weigh-In (pounds)

Maria Bascett - 151.0

Andrew Durniat - 220.0

Gil Goodman - 204.8

Jedd Johnson - 248.3

Andrew Pantke - 236.2

Jeff Parker - 226.4

Lucas Raymond - 204.8

Michael Rogowski - 177.0

Nic Rosendaul - 249.0

Jacob Sahlaney - 238.0

Right Hand Gripper (in pounds)

Nic Rosendaul - 135

Jake Sahlaney - 140

Maria Bascetta - 66

Gil Goodman - 175

Andrew Pantke - 140

Mike Rogowski - 135

Jeff Parker - 160

Luke Raymond - 150

Andrew Durniat - 165

Jedd Johnson - 175

Left Hand Gripper (in pounds)

Nic Rosendaul - 110

Jake Sahlaney - 150

Maria Bascetta - 70.9

Gil Goodman - 165

Andrew Pantke - 125

Mike Rogowski - 125

Jeff Parker - 145

Luke Raymond - 145

Andrew Durniat - 155

Jedd Johnson - 160

• Like 3

2 Hands Pinch 

Nic Rosendaul - 182.73 (64mm)

Jake Sahlaney - 202.32 (58mm)

Maria Bascetta - 104.70 (44mm)

Gil Goodman - 192.04 (58mm)

Andrew Pantke - 171.45 (50mm)

Mike Rogowski - 185.41 (44mm)

Jeff Parker - 202.32 (58mm)

Luke Raymond - 202.32 (58mm)

Andrew Durniat - 201.87 (54mm)

Jedd Johnson - 237.26 (58mm)

2" Axle Deadlift

Nic Rosendaul - 303.47

Jake Sahlaney - 343.16

Maria Bascetta - 157.97

Gil Goodman - 402.68

Andrew Pantke - 310.09

Mike Rogowski - 310.09

Jeff Parker - 290.25

Luke Raymond - 336.54

Andrew Durniat - 422.52

Jedd Johnson - 396.07

• Like 1

Sledge Rotation total score

Nic Rosendaul - 0.5

Jake Sahlaney - 15

Maria Bascetta - did not compete

Gil Goodman - 16

Andrew Pantke - 4.5

Mike Rogowski - 9

Jeff Parker - 19

Luke Raymond - 12

Andrew Durniat - 13.5

Jedd Johnson - 26

Medley total score (time of last item lifted)

Nic Rosendaul - 6.5 (43.39sec.)

Jake Sahlaney - 5 (58.88sec.)

Maria Bascetta - did not compete

Gil Goodman - 10.5 (57.64sec.)

Andrew Pantke - did not compete

Mike Rogowski - 5.5 (36.81sec.)

Jeff Parker - 6.5 (47.58sec)

Luke Raymond - 9 (53.53sec)

Andrew Durniat - 10 (57.18sec)

Jedd Johnson - 9.5 (59.2sec)

Final Placings:

83kg class