Like Scale Weights? Try This!

climber511

Still want to mess around with the way it's built but it's darn hard - about took my thumb off trying for a max :). I got 65# each side but 70# is stopping me cold.

post-3084-0-47726300-1452890259_thumb.jp

post-3084-0-93489200-1452890296_thumb.jp

• Like 9

Still want to mess around with the way it's built but it's darn hard - about took my thumb off trying for a max :). I got 65# each side but 70# is stopping me cold.

Very very cool.

Of course you know you just gave Napalm the secret to scale weight mastery.

Quite the Gripmas gift. :santa::santa::santa:

Very nice! Planning to sell some?

Very nice! Planning to sell some?

This was a prototype - it works pretty well but I have an idea I think might work better. I'll probably sell a few once I'm happy with it.

• Like 1

Very very cool.

He spilled the beans after the comp, actually.

Very very cool.

He spilled the beans after the comp, actually.

I never thought about there being "a secret" to it - I just always did it the same way - I wasn't hiding any tricks etc. I've see some people "scoop" them but that never worked for me and seemed to go against what I was trying to test with it in the Medley. This new toy lets you go heavier than my scale weights and it can be used as a one rep max kind of test if you want - kinda fun. I guess I'm going to have to come up with something else to stop Jedd dominating the Medley :)

Chris - how heavy are your scale weights? I have a set of 50#'ers and they are impossible for me at the moment, so your trainer design is definitely intriguing.

Chris the Scale weights have kicked my butt for too many years. Definitely interested in this.

Maybe you can also do same concept but pinch style

Chris - how heavy are your scale weights? I have a set of 50#'ers and they are impossible for me at the moment, so your trainer design is definitely intriguing.

My scale weights are 50# each but one of the handles is bigger around than usual and it also doesn't match up as it isn't square but sort of tapered in shape. I have also added 5# to each scale weight on the bottom (where they increase leverage the most) so they are a good bit harder than the average pair one will come up against.

• Like 1

Maybe you can also do same concept but pinch style

Hummmm. I'll have to put my thinking cap on and see what comes out. But I already have a Tombstone on a gripper that I really like for pinch training. It would be fun to make a "test" one though.

Noob question, What purpose does scale lifts serve? Is it another goofy grip thing that is fun to play with?

Noob question, What purpose does scale lifts serve? Is it another goofy grip thing that is fun to play with?

It's an item in my Gripmas Medley. As to what it does - beats me but Jedd Johnson hasn't done them yet if that says anything :).

Seriously - it's a test thing like a Blob - none of these things cure cancer or anything but scale weights are a nice challenge. They can be cleaned and pressed but most have enough trouble simply dead lifting them. I'm not sure how to explain "why" they are hard - they just are - and some are much harder than others - the one's where the handles are flat on top and fit together well are the easiest - mine are the hardest I have personally tried but I'm sure they are not unique and there are others out there even harder.

• Like 2