Thoughts/concerns About 2014 Nationals

jvance

First off, I want to thank Andrew, Brandon, and everyone else at Durniat Strength for hosting another big competition. Many thanks to Kody and PK for taking time off to judge (anyone else I missed I wholeheartedly thank and apologize for not mentioning). This year was my second year and third competition, and I want to put out my thoughts on how it went without coming across as whiny or sore... Some points:

-Great move by using a standardized competition set of cal'd grippers, the difficulty of the closes felt very proportionate to their ratings.

-The standardized pinch apparatuses were a great way to even the playing field and take away questions about who's setup was harder/easier because the necessary 2 platforms.

-The two platform axles went great as expected.

-The pinch curl... where do I start... 1. Time I expected this event to move quickly, instead it sucked up what seemed to be the most amount of time (i wasn't keeping track, maybe someone else was?). 2. Event rules: Compliance with these utterly new rules seemed to take up a lot of mental energy, as any minor screw up (four points of contact with the wall [head, both shoulders, and posterior], as well as trying to keep the elbow level and outside the body, would result in a NO lift. This negated good lifts for infractions which occurred after the most difficult part of the lift was completed. 4 Judging and consistency, I didn't feel as if the judging was as consistent as I had hoped. I was flagged twice for unintentional small infractions which cost me points, on the aforementioned rules I had only learned minutes before the event started. I also noticed other competitors were not being scrutinized for similar infractions and, in several instances, a second judge was not even watching the lifter. Maybe non-participating judges like Kody or Paul would have eliminated this as an issue for the event 5. The implement: As far as I know, few of the competitors had any familiarity with the device and lifting techniques (please, anyone who had the device within a reasonable time prior to NAGSC speak up and correct me here). I would imagine the results would have been much less disparate if everyone could have had reasonable time to either buy or make a similar implement to prepare.

-Finally, the sledge choke: When this lift was first introduced recently, I expected it to be a test of levering strength, instead, it has become a test of wrist ligament and tendon tolerance to extreme leverage disadvantages and the skill of keeping a quarter on a downward sloping hammer head. I think this event will lead to injury as more competitors are pushed to dangerous levels of tension in order keep up in the standings. If the goal was hold the hammer level and not let the wrist break, I think we would see a dramatic decrease in inch pound scores.

-Also, chalking the head of the hammer and other tricks to make the coin stay on take away from the integrity and intention of this lift. It allows the coin to stay on even though the handle is nearing a 45 degree angle, definitely not what I consider a true sledge deadlift.

Finally, as a side note, I would like to add these two one handed lifts, en total carry as much weight in the contest as the big three core lifts. By doing them both handed we are diluting the value of 2hp, axle, and grippers in the contest, and giving weaker competitors the chance to make up huge points in these smaller and lesser practiced lifts.

Please remember this is all constructive and I took a good deal of time in writing this in a way that doesn't create a war here on the board. I just wanted to let my concerns be heard and considered. Thank you for taking the time to read.

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

The only thing I can comment on is the set of grippers sponsored in part by Cannon PowerWorks and not possible without the generousity of a handful of great guys.

The set took us the better part of a year to assemble, finding cantidates here and there as we rated grippers for orders.

We're glad it was a hit!

• Like 5

the grippers were top notch. in the past there have been weird jumps that were possible because of different brands. also there were often 1 or 2 pound jumps in some spots followed by 8# gaps in others. now it's evenly spaced and and very straight forward. I feel like the new gripper set is a huge leap forward.

• Like 4

-The pinch curl... where do I start...

First off, I just want to say that EVERYTHING in this post about the pinch curl, could have been brought up to me or Andrew, in person, if it was bothering you. I always welcome face to face discussion, and will continue to in the future.

1. Time I expected this event to move quickly, instead it sucked up what seemed to be the most amount of time (i wasn't keeping track, maybe someone else was?).

This took much more time than I expected as well, so I agree.

2. Event rules: Compliance with these utterly new rules seemed to take up a lot of mental energy, as any minor screw up (four points of contact with the wall [head, both shoulders, and posterior], as well as trying to keep the elbow level and outside the body, would result in a NO lift. This negated good lifts for infractions which occurred after the most difficult part of the lift was completed.

I put a video demo up on my YouTube channel weeks and weeks before the competition, along with a description and video of the implement. I also emailed out about it and posted it on my website, as well as here on the Gripboard. I know Eric Roussin purchased one almost instantly. I believe he may have been the only competitor to purchase one.

4 Judging and consistency, I didn't feel as if the judging was as consistent as I had hoped. I was flagged twice for unintentional small infractions which cost me points, on the aforementioned rules I had only learned minutes before the event started. I also noticed other competitors were not being scrutinized for similar infractions and, in several instances, a second judge was not even watching the lifter. Maybe non-participating judges like Kody or Paul would have eliminated this as an issue for the event

I judged the entire time, except for on two cases where I took a bathroom break. I called you for shoulder because your shoulder blade clearly came off the wall on one occasion. I don't remember the other one. The rules were clearly explained and demonstrated prior to the event itself in an effort to make sure everything was clear. All of the early attempts that were flagged or DQ'd were explained.

Who was not being scrutinized for an infraction? I would be happy to take the criticism for this on something I missed.

5. The implement: As far as I know, few of the competitors had any familiarity with the device and lifting techniques (please, anyone who had the device within a reasonable time prior to NAGSC speak up and correct me here). I would imagine the results would have been much less disparate if everyone could have had reasonable time to either buy or make a similar implement to prepare.

As mentioned before the implements were advertised for sale in 3 different locations. They were also in the room where the event was contested throughout the entire day. I announced this prior to the contest.

-Also, chalking the head of the hammer and other tricks to make the coin stay on take away from the integrity and intention of this lift. It allows the coin to stay on even though the handle is nearing a 45 degree angle, definitely not what I consider a true sledge deadlift.

This particular hammer has some kind of slick paint on it, comparable to the paint on Wade's Blob used at the GNC booth. Even slight tilt would allow the coin to fall off. Luke and I became aware of this very early in training.

I'd like to make note that we did not choose the hammer for this event. Andrew announced a 14-lb hammer would be used. I had never seen a 14-lb hammer in my life. So I wrote him and asked him what hammer he was using. He sent me a link to it and I ordered the exact model of hammer to train on.

As for the 45-degree angle - go back and look at the videos as Gripmas. Some of those angles were quite steep as well. That was the first time I'd seen that.

The rules for the event don't state an acceptable angle. It says the coin can't fall off.

By the way, it is not like the head of the hammer got chalked for some and not others. It was chalked from the beginning of the event until the end.

Some of what you are typing is suggesting that the lift was unfair for some lifters over others or that certain variables were permitted for some and not others, and that is absolutely not the case.

-Finally, the sledge choke: When this lift was first introduced recently, I expected it to be a test of levering strength, instead, it has become a test of wrist ligament and tendon tolerance to extreme leverage disadvantages and the skill of keeping a quarter on a downward sloping hammer head.

The fact is the event execution has changed for some people. However, all of these changes are within the rules as they are written currently.

I think this event will lead to injury as more competitors are pushed to dangerous levels of tension in order keep up in the standings.

That's always possible. I will counter with the fact that after Gripmas, my left hand was injured for several weeks from the Sledge Choke, and I was striving to keep my wrist level. It was something deep under my left pinky pad.

Today, after NAGSC, that area has no pain at all, and I have just a little bit of DOMS in my radial deviators.

If the goal was hold the hammer level and not let the wrist break, I think we would see a dramatic decrease in inch pound scores.

No doubt.

I didn't see a problem with the pinch curl. About every one was in the same boat since it was new to almost everyone there. from what I could tell it was fairly judged all around. as stated before It did run a little long but since it was new I thought it would. If done in the future they will have 2 implements running at the same time and that will speed it up. The date of national was changed this year because of conflicts with the date with the guys running it. Next year we will have more judges available.

the grippers were great! Thanks for the hard work put in Matt!

The rules for the event don't state an acceptable angle. It says the coin can't fall off.

^Thanks for clarifying, Jedd.

Just want to chime in here and say that I don't get the complaints people have about the hammer event and the "tendon/ligament/wrist bent" argument. The rules say lift the hammer to the platform with the coin on it in accordance with all other rules. What does it matter if someone's wrist is bent? Do all competitors execute all other grip events in exactly the same manner? No. Why should the sledge choke be any different? If you can lift to the platform with the coin on, your "form" shouldn't matter as long as it's within the bounds of all other rules.

Looks like it was a good day all around. Hoping I can compete next year!

Great job by all & some good observations by JV! I feel judging was handled fairly & consistently imo... thanks Andrew, Jedd, Kody, Paul & anyone else I forgot I apologize. Awesome event & well run although it ran on a lot longer than I expected.. of course I'm a newbie! ;-)

Congrats to all winners & hope to see y'all next year!

On a side note I have an excellent idea for the sledgehammer event as I'm a welder... more details soon! Cheers!

• Like 3

^Thanks for clarifying, Jedd.

Just want to chime in here and say that I don't get the complaints people have about the hammer event and the "tendon/ligament/wrist bent" argument. The rules say lift the hammer to the platform with the coin on it in accordance with all other rules. What does it matter if someone's wrist is bent? Do all competitors execute all other grip events in exactly the same manner? No. Why should the sledge choke be any different? If you can lift to the platform with the coin on, your "form" shouldn't matter as long as it's within the bounds of all other rules.

Looks like it was a good day all around. Hoping I can compete next year!

I know the first comp this event was held at, in which I was present, was the Holdfast Gauntlet. Even at that competition, the sledge was held at different angles. For me, at the time, the strongest angle was actually to have the spot I was gripping at LOWER than the point that the handle connected the sledge head.

• Like 1

Finally, as a side note, I would like to add these two one handed lifts, en total carry as much weight in the contest as the big three core lifts. By doing them both handed we are diluting the value of 2hp, axle, and grippers in the contest, and giving weaker competitors the chance to make up huge points in these smaller and lesser practiced lifts.

All the events at Nationals have always carried the same value as the core lifts. Each event was worth 100 points. I believe Andrew scored each hand as 50 points this year. That was mentioned in the discussion after the announcement of the top 10 placings, anyway.

Please remember this is all constructive and I took a good deal of time in writing this in a way that doesn't create a war here on the board. I just wanted to let my concerns be heard and considered. Thank you for taking the time to read.

Let me just explain my side of this. I am the kind of guy who welcomes this sort of discussion in person, at the time when it can actually be handled and corrected if necessary. Maybe it is due to my experience in an industry where you must interact face-to-face in order to get things done, because doing it over email will likely delay an important decision by hours if not entire work days.

Either way, I hope if there is a case where someone is unhappy with something I do or am involved in, like an event at a Grip contest, I invite you to come up and say something.

To know that something was bothering someone, and it was never brought up, makes me feel bad. Both because the person doesn't feel comfortable and because there are likely others who feel the same way, and there could be multiple people irritated about these things.

I guess to me it is always best to bring them up on the fly...

if the one hand events were score with hands combined or half points I 100% missed that. no idea what they were marked on the scoresheet.

All one-handed events were added together before scoring. R+L= your score

I had a great time at the comp. It was nice seeing a lot of guys again and meeting some people for the first time as well.

I was pleased with my results on grippers, pinch, and axle. I actually did a bit better than I expected, as I had not trained grip as much leading up to this year’s event as I had for last year’s comp.

As for the pinch block curl, looking back I really should have done more experimenting with this event. As Jedd has mentioned, I ordered this device and had it for about a month before the comp. My mistake is that I didn’t train the lift very strictly. Most of the time, I was not up against the wall, which allowed me to hit significantly higher numbers. I didn’t realize how much the butt, shoulders, and head against the wall would affect me. I actually didn’t even realize that the head touch was a requirement – I really should have paid more attention. Consequently, this was a very stressful event for me – lots to think about during the lift.

The pinch block curl is not my favourite event, as I feel it incorporates quite a bit of non-grip related strength. I think I would prefer to use the device to test something like an inside-the-knee wrist curl, where the emphasis would be strictly on wrist strength.

Regarding the sledge choke, I started to hit bigger numbers during the course of the comp once I realized exactly how much the sledge could tilt without the quarter falling off. I’m not a big fan of this event, because it feels a bit dangerous and it seems to be a measure of who can endure the most stress rather than radial deviation strength. I’d rather see the event contested where the hammer must remain vertical throughout the lift. (Though I admit it could be difficult to evaluate this.)

I do like the fact that the fourth and fifth events vary from year-to-year. It keeps things interesting. But I would be in favour of testing only one hand on these two events, just to speed things up. The strength of both hands is tested in the three core events, so I don’t think there is a big need to test them on the last two.

Thank you to everyone who played a part in running this great contest!

All one-handed events were added together before scoring. R+L= your score

Thanks Andrew, I should have verified with you before commenting. My apologies.

Disregard this:

Jedd, please don't take my comments as a personal thing between me and you. I wholeheartedly appreciate what you do for this sport and I am not questioning your integrity. Perhaps we could have spoken face to face at the comp, however I was pretty heated and I wanted to give it a day or two before I spoke about it. Sometimes its best for things to settle down in the mind before discussion. The one thing that really set me off about the pinch curl was the inconsistent judging. It wasn't you but I know Luke flagged me twice as you seemingly called good lifts. That's all good and fine and I probably did move my shoulder or rear like he said I did... That's not the issue... This issue was that I noticed him at least two occasions (that I saw) carrying on conversations with others while he was supposed to be watching his side. I don't want to accuse him of selectively scrutinizing certain lifters, but it came across that way and really pissed me off at the time.

As for the device itself, it is fine and I think it is a legitimate event. I don't think it's fair to the competitors to announce a completely new event 9 weeks from the competition. Perhaps it could have been announced for future comps but I really think 'dark horse' events should be randomly chosen the day of the event. Maybe the IGC could discuss a list of definitive possible events, which are made public but not chosen until the day of the contest. Either a vote or picking it out of a hat would work perhaps. This will take away any perception of unfair advantage to promoters or insiders.

Also Eric Roussin made a good point about the sledge lift... I think we are getting away from the spirit of a true sledgehammer deadlift. Broken wristed, drooping hammer, coin barely staying on lifts don't look good for grip sport and differences in hammer head texture and even the coin itself can affect consistency. David Horne's pickaxe is a better representation of sledge DL IMHO... again.. most people don't have them so more notice will be needed for future comps. However one can train with their own hammer and be reasonable prepared for the event.

I 100% believe someone will get injured doing the sledge choke the way it is currently contested.

Edited by jvance

I had a great time at the comp. It was nice seeing a lot of guys again and meeting some people for the first time as well.

I was pleased with my results on grippers, pinch, and axle. I actually did a bit better than I expected, as I had not trained grip as much leading up to this year’s event as I had for last year’s comp.

As for the pinch block curl, looking back I really should have done more experimenting with this event. As Jedd has mentioned, I ordered this device and had it for about a month before the comp. My mistake is that I didn’t train the lift very strictly. Most of the time, I was not up against the wall, which allowed me to hit significantly higher numbers. I didn’t realize how much the butt, shoulders, and head against the wall would affect me. I actually didn’t even realize that the head touch was a requirement – I really should have paid more attention. Consequently, this was a very stressful event for me – lots to think about during the lift.

The pinch block curl is not my favourite event, as I feel it incorporates quite a bit of non-grip related strength. I think I would prefer to use the device to test something like an inside-the-knee wrist curl, where the emphasis would be strictly on wrist strength.

Regarding the sledge choke, I started to hit bigger numbers during the course of the comp once I realized exactly how much the sledge could tilt without the quarter falling off. I’m not a big fan of this event, because it feels a bit dangerous and it seems to be a measure of who can endure the most stress rather than radial deviation strength. I’d rather see the event contested where the hammer must remain vertical throughout the lift. (Though I admit it could be difficult to evaluate this.)

I do like the fact that the fourth and fifth events vary from year-to-year. It keeps things interesting. But I would be in favour of testing only one hand on these two events, just to speed things up. The strength of both hands is tested in the three core events, so I don’t think there is a big need to test them on the last two.

Eric, perhaps attaching a small level somewhere on the handle and having a judge ensure the bubble stays between the lines will ensure strict parallel with the ground.

I'll share some of my thoughts since the rabbit has been raised.

1) Voicing one's opinion mid-contest presents a sticky situation. Perhaps judging complaints can be made, but can a person really be expected to bring a complaint about the rules or scoring mid-contest? Even if the event has already started? I don't think that would be well received. Furthermore, people, including promoters, are trying to focus on their performance during the contest, so it isn't an optimal time to raise complaints. I understand where Jedd is coming from, but I think that critiquing events mid-contest may not be the best practice. Plus, competitors may not have time during or immediately after the contest to fully form their opinions.

2) Events:

I loved the gripper uniformity. Great job. I thought the block curl could have been improved by using a two handed apparatus to save time. I also share Jonathon's opinion that failing attempts for mistakes lowering the weight was a little heavy handed. In my opinion, the lift should have been over once the curl was completed. If lowering was required, there shouldn't have been a strict form requirement. Too many people failed good lifts lowering the weight either due to misunderstanding the "good" command or forgetting to keep their head on the wall.

I liked the sledge event. I always train with a locked wrist and hammer level, but the rules provide only that the coin must stay on. I adjusted my technique during the contest and performed well. I think that sledge placing would have been in approximately the same order regardless of the rules used. As Eric points out, it would be very difficult to set a standard for sledge angle. Perhaps a different object could be used (ex- a ball) to ensure a level hammer.

3)

I am a fan of contesting both hands. I think the block curl should have been a two handed apparatus, but I think sledge was fine. Andrew mentioned that the two hand total was used for scoring out of 100. That seems fair to me. I like that the "non-core" lifts are weighted equally with the core lifts. They are just as much legitimate tests of grip strength as the core lifts. I also like that the lifts contested outside of the core lifts are variable each year. That seems to keep people on their toes and keeps the spirit of well roundedness alive.

The only thing that really struck me as being capable of significant improvement was the pinch curl. In any case, I had a blast. Thank you to the promoters and sponsors. I hope to see everyone again next year.

Jedd, please don't take my comments as a personal thing between me and you. I wholeheartedly appreciate what you do for this sport and I am not questioning your integrity. Perhaps we could have spoken face to face at the comp, however I was pretty heated and I wanted to give it a day or two before I spoke about it. Sometimes its best for things to settle down in the mind before discussion. The one thing that really set me off about the pinch curl was the inconsistent judging. It wasn't you but I know Luke flagged me twice as you seemingly called good lifts. That's all good and fine and I probably did move my shoulder or rear like he said I did... That's not the issue... This issue was that I noticed him at least two occasions (that I saw) carrying on conversations with others while he was supposed to be watching his side. I don't want to accuse him of selectively scrutinizing certain lifters, but it came across that way and really pissed me off at the time.

Jon, I don't want drama with anyone. I understand wanting to calm down before expressing views, as well. I am not the most evenly keeled person sometimes, but I do still wish we could have addressed the concerns as they came up. Hopefully, next time we can.

As for Luke - there was one time in particular where I should have checked that he was ready, but I was trying to keep things moving. I don't remember another time, although it could have happened.

As for the device itself, it is fine and I think it is a legitimate event. I don't think it's fair to the competitors to announce a completely new event 9 weeks from the competition. Perhaps it could have been announced for future comps but I really think 'dark horse' events should be randomly chosen the day of the event. Maybe the IGC could discuss a list of definitive possible events, which are made public but not chosen until the day of the contest. Either a vote or picking it out of a hat would work perhaps. This will take away any perception of unfair advantage to promoters or insiders.

The thing about not announcing events until the day of, in my opinion, is the risk of injury due to lack of prep. If someone knows the events and chooses not to train them, they put themselves at risk. If the athletes don't know until the day of, then they could all be at risk.

Also Eric Roussin made a good point about the sledge lift... I think we are getting away from the spirit of a true sledgehammer deadlift. Broken wristed, drooping hammer, coin barely staying on lifts don't look good for grip sport and differences in hammer head texture and even the coin itself can affect consistency. David Horne's pickaxe is a better representation of sledge DL IMHO... again.. most people don't have them so more notice will be needed for future comps. However one can train with their own hammer and be reasonable prepared for the event.

My point here is that the Sledge Choke is not a Sledge Deadlift. It never has been as far as I know. I actually am not sure at all how the pickaxe lift is done.

I 100% believe someone will get injured doing the sledge choke the way it is currently contested.

That would suck. My question back is are people training it to get conditioned? If not, then they are accepting the risk. You and I may not be able to come to an agreement on this event, unfortunately.

Eric, perhaps attaching a small level somewhere on the handle and having a judge ensure the bubble stays between the lines will ensure strict parallel with the ground.

The numbers would drop to the single digits and just about everyone would have the same score.

I'll share some of my thoughts since the rabbit has been raised.

1) Voicing one's opinion mid-contest presents a sticky situation. Perhaps judging complaints can be made, but can a person really be expected to bring a complaint about the rules or scoring mid-contest? Even if the event has already started? I don't think that would be well received. Furthermore, people, including promoters, are trying to focus on their performance during the contest, so it isn't an optimal time to raise complaints. I understand where Jedd is coming from, but I think that critiquing events mid-contest may not be the best practice. Plus, competitors may not have time during or immediately after the contest to fully form their opinions.

These are good points. However, since Jon clarified his frustrations, I think the points he had should have been brought up. At least then, we wouldn't have someone as dedicated as Jon stewing about it for a day and a half.

2) Events:

I loved the gripper uniformity. Great job. I thought the block curl could have been improved by using a two handed apparatus to save time. I also share Jonathon's opinion that failing attempts for mistakes lowering the weight was a little heavy handed. In my opinion, the lift should have been over once the curl was completed. If lowering was required, there shouldn't have been a strict form requirement. Too many people failed good lifts lowering the weight either due to misunderstanding the "good" command or forgetting to keep their head on the wall.

Good points. I understand what you mean as far as being more lenient once the concentric portion was completed. But don't you have to control the 2HP and Axle to the Floor as well? Plus, these rules were outlined weeks ahead of time in video and then covered again at the comp.

The two handed device sounds cool. I will talk to my guy and see if we can come up with a prototype.

I liked the sledge event. I always train with a locked wrist and hammer level, but the rules provide only that the coin must stay on. I adjusted my technique during the contest and performed well. I think that sledge placing would have been in approximately the same order regardless of the rules used. As Eric points out, it would be very difficult to set a standard for sledge angle. Perhaps a different object could be used (ex- a ball) to ensure a level hammer.

Interesting.

3)

I am a fan of contesting both hands. I think the block curl should have been a two handed apparatus, but I think sledge was fine. Andrew mentioned that the two hand total was used for scoring out of 100. That seems fair to me. I like that the "non-core" lifts are weighted equally with the core lifts. They are just as much legitimate tests of grip strength as the core lifts. I also like that the lifts contested outside of the core lifts are variable each year. That seems to keep people on their toes and keeps the spirit of well roundedness alive.

The only thing that really struck me as being capable of significant improvement was the pinch curl. In any case, I had a blast. Thank you to the promoters and sponsors. I hope to see everyone again next year.

All feedback is very welcomed and is taken into consideration. I can assure you that any and all decisions made for Nationals are done by a group and thoroughly discussed for safety, ease of judging, effective grip test, speed of event.

I'm glad everyone liked the standardized grippers. That was a 2+ year project by many.

Standardizing the 2hp and multiple smooth-ish running platforms has been a 2-3 project as well. I remember when the euro pinch was more rare than an InchDB.

We have come a long way in the last few years and we do strive to continue getting better. We talked at length about a 2 handed pinch curl, but there is history of biceps/forearm injuries from this very thing. Rules were based on the USAWA strict curl to create uniformity between similar organizations (our weight-classes as well).

Please continue giving feedback, it IS welcomed and noted. But hold judgement if you think a decision is made quickly, most are 6 months to multiple years in the making.

Lets continue to move this sport forward.

• Like 3

If the sledge had to remain level, I agree there would be less dispersion in the scores. But this could be somewhat adjusted for by moving to half-inch increments.

A 12-lb sledge would be big enough for use in a level-lift contest.

I have looked at the David Horne design for his "Pick Axe" and his "tilt device". I have never tried one to see what amount of tilt may or may not be possible. But the idea of a "nut" glued in or on the handle with a ball bearing etc would be easy and certainly cheap enough to add on to our existing sledge set ups with almost no cost or work. It might be fun to "try one" anyway just to see if it allows the same amount of tilt??? I think the more important issue is going to be the method of gripping the handle allowed to be sure everyone is testing the same muscles etc???

I have looked at the David Horne design for his "Pick Axe" and his "tilt device". I have never tried one to see what amount of tilt may or may not be possible. But the idea of a "nut" glued in or on the handle with a ball bearing etc would be easy and certainly cheap enough to add on to our existing sledge set ups with almost no cost or work. It might be fun to "try one" anyway just to see if it allows the same amount of tilt??? I think the more important issue is going to be the method of gripping the handle allowed to be sure everyone is testing the same muscles etc???

Seems like a small Mercury switch like in an old school thermostat, battery and buzzer would be perfect to enable consistency and immediate feedback for judging.

- Aaron

• Like 1

I'm glad everyone liked the standardized grippers. That was a 2+ year project by many.

So is this going to be a traveling set of Grippers for all sanctioned contests? Just for Nats?