Got My 16 Lb Hammer Today

ruffhans

well, i got a call yesterday that my hammer i ordered was in.

i stoped after work today to pick it up.

it is a beautiful thing! nice hickory handle with a huge shinney 16 lb hammer on the end of it.

after paying for it my wife and i went to pizza hut for lunch. when we got out of the car i wanted to see if i could lever it rite away.

i held it out in front of me and slowly lowered it to my nose. the first time i tried i knew i would not get it back up with just my wrist strentgh, so i didnt go all the way to my nose,.i would say about 3/4s to my nose.

i tried a 2nd time and went slow again. what i noticed is the webbing in my hand hurt very bad, and so did my wrist. but this always happens to me if i donot warm up. also i wasnt in the mood for levering. ididnt have the mindset to do it. this is due to some personal probs.

however, on the 2nd try i leverd it down to my nose all the way, but it didnt go anywhere from there!

i was useing a 12 lb hammer with 3 lbs taped to it, but the 16 is much harder i think. i know it is only a lb, but it feels like 5 lbs.

one thing that did make me feel better though. i havent been able to find my 8 lb hammer in two months. i found out soemone had used it and didnt put it back. so today i got it back. i picked it up to do some levering with it and, after a few months of levering a 12 and working up to 15 lbs the 8 lber felt like paper!!!!!!!!!!

i levered to 15 reps, very strict, and am very close to levering it from the floor out in front of me. one thing i did that i think is fun, i levered the 8 lber to the side of my head so the handle was straight. then i held it there to see how long my wrist could take it. after training with the 15 lb hammer for awhile i was able to hold the 8 lber in that position for one good min.

i wanted to add that getting the new hammer home and trying to lever it feels alot like when i got the #3 coc gripper in the mail.

what i mean is that it terms of levering ( for me anyway), this how much harder it is than the 12 lb i was coming from. although i am at 15 lbs now, i.m.o. a 12 would be a #2 gripper and a 16 would be a #3,..so im guessing anything over 20 lbs would feel like a #4! this is for me, someone else that can lever a 20 lb hammer easy would feel different obviously.

Wow, cool. That's it -- I lever tomorrow!

yeah i recomend getting a 16 lb hammer even if you can only lever an 8 lb.

it provides a great workout due to its weight.

i was at a store called "Biglots" and they had some 6 lb hammers. i was able to put two in one hand and lever them. it is the same as 12 lbs wich i could already lever, but it was harder due to me having to have my hand open further from the width of two handles. it was fun though.

i realy want to put a clip on here to show everyone, but i got to figure out this dam new gigital camera!

im going to have to pretty soon though,....you cant go around saying your levering something 16 lbs or bigger without a lill proof :tongue

i saw a clip of both "Clay" and "Handgripperman" doing a 16lber so i was inspired.

i was at a store called "Biglots" and they had some 6 lb hammers. i was able to put two in one hand and lever them. it is the same as 12 lbs wich i could already lever, but it was harder due to me having to have my hand open further from the width of two handles. it was fun though.

That's actually really damn cool !

its actually something you can do to impress people if you want. if you can already lever a certian poundage,..say 12 lbs or 16 lbs aslong as it is an even number, you can take two smaller hammers that are equal to what you can lever and do them both.

it will be a little harder for balance but it is cool to do.

i think anything bugger than two 6 lb hammers may put your wirst at harm. yo have to open your hand alot to hold the hammers so,..(to me) it feels a bit unatural.

i was useing a 12 lb hammer with 3 lbs taped to it, but the 16 is much harder i think. i know it is only a lb, but it feels like 5 lbs.

its only a pound on the head but its about 30 more pounds of pressure on your wrist(inch pounds), assuming the shafts are the same length.

good point Wayne!

thanx

for a min there i was feeling like a wimp! :(

i guess compared to Slim i am and always will be! :tongue

Edited by ruffhans

im glad you mentioned that Wayne,..i measured my hammers and the 16 lber is 1 and 1/8 inches longer than my 8 lber or 12 lber!

no wonder it feels so much harder.

the handles of all the hammers are,.............

8 lber, 32 inches 12 lber, 32 inches 16lber 33 inches.

total length of hammers including heads are,.....

8 lber 34 inches, 12 lber 35 inches, 16lber 36 inches.

wow, more like a 48 inch pound increase. your 16lb. is a beast. i have an 8 and a 16 and they both have 31'' handles. i can lever my 16 but i doubt i could do yours without choking up on it.

good luck with your levering.

A quick question - when people say 8 lb hammer or something like that, does that mean that the whole hammper weighs 8 lbs or just the head of the hammer?

thanks

yeah i recomend getting a 16 lb hammer even if you can only lever an 8 lb.

it provides a great workout due to its weight.

i realy want to put a clip on here to show everyone, but i got to figure out this dam new gigital camera!

im going to have to pretty soon though,....you cant go around saying your levering something 16 lbs or bigger without a lill proof :tongue

i saw a clip of both "Clay" and "Handgripperman" doing a 16lber so i was inspired.

Biglots. You must be Canadian or were in Canadia.

I was inspired today (thank you ruffhans) at work when I saw an 8#er by the trash compactor. I put my arm up on a flat surface (happened to be the back of a forklift) and tried a strict comp style lever. Phew, way harder than just holdin it up and going to the nose.

So I went out to the garden dept and tried a 10#er and got it to the nose with a slightly more sloppy style. (still a PR)

Feeling good I picked up (barely) the 16#er. What a monster. I got it to my nose w/ good form from the middle of the handle and bad form from about 7 inches from the end.

As soon as I have $35 I am going to join you ruffhans and get myself a nice big sledge.

Blood- when most talk about the lbs of hammers they are speaking of the hammer end itself and its weight. not the whole hammer. unless someone had a steel handle i dont think they would worry about including the weight if the handle. all my handles are hikory so they weigh lillte to nothing.

Number ten- thats cool to hear about your levering, i struggle with my 14.5 hammer on a flat surface it does make it very much harder for sure. but i do use the most strict form i can when levering. do me a favor will ya? next time you lever do it while kneeling on the floor on your knees. my apartment is not high enough for me to stand while holding my hammer straight up so i have to kneel. i want to know from someone else if they feel this has any effect on levering. (making it easy or hard).

yeah , go get a 16 lb hammer and let me know when you do. now that i have one i think it would have been better to just get one in the begining of my levering days and work up to it. it has a feel that my other hammers dont have.

im going to try to do something new in my training on it. instead of choking up on the handle a bit and levering, i will hold it down at the bottom of the handle and lever it down asfar as i can to my nose and still be able to get it back up going a lill farther each time. give this a try sometime see what you think,..i like it better

I've got the week off work, so at some point I'm going to travel to B&Q or similar and try to find a small sledge.

The smaller the better, as my current lever is a shorter piece of inch tube with a weight plate attached to the other end, and I bet I'll struggle even with a 6lb or 8lb.

I fancy the step up though!

Edited by doctordeath