Gripper Strength Going Down Since I Started Doing Thick Bar Work.

steve0

I have been adding a lot of thick bar/dumbbell, RT, and blob/block lifting to my program. It seems that my gripper volume and strength have suffered a bit. I assume that this is just temporary as things balance out. Any advice would be appreciated.

When I add a lot of something new I have always taken away a lot of something old.

Taking a break from grippers or reducing the volume is not a bad thing because if you have any baseline strength you will hold pretty steady and probably comeback stronger on gripppers after the other work.

• Like 2

i ordered fat grips to work on my support grip. I was thinking its gonna mess with my gripper training but if i only do thick bar work a couple times a week for one to two exercises a day. then i dont think it will affect me much

When I add a lot of something new I have always taken away a lot of something old.

Taking a break from grippers or reducing the volume is not a bad thing because if you have any baseline strength you will hold pretty steady and probably comeback stronger on gripppers after the other work.

Good sound advice here Heath

Good sound advice here Heath

Thanks for the advice. My gripper work has gone down about one level but I am slowly adding volume. I think when all is said and done that adding the other stuff will help me break through the plateau I have been on.

I use fat grips mostly twice a week I do my back arm days with them. At first the new exercise working with thick grip taxed my hands out more then usual since I wasn't used to the exercise. Yet as I adapated to the exercise I was able to train grippers like normal and don't notice a decline in strength in fact noticed that the thick bar has helped me out a bit as long as you make sure to have enough rest between thick bar and grippers.

Thick bar training in general tends to lower your overall grip strength (if you are in to overall grip strength training) and I totally agree with Dennis Roger's view on this. If you want to be good at thickbar lifting while maintaining your grip strength in other areas then work your wrists as much as they can take.

Thickbar training is especially beneficial if you want to kill your pinch strength.

Thick bar training in general tends to lower your overall grip strength (if you are in to overall grip strength training) and I totally agree with Dennis Roger's view on this. If you want to be good at thickbar lifting while maintaining your grip strength in other areas then work your wrists as much as they can take.

Thickbar training is especially beneficial if you want to kill your pinch strength.

My mainfocus since christmas have been on thickbars. Have done allmost everything with fat gripz in gym. Now MMS strength is higher than ever and 2H pinch have remained same. Last week got air under 41kg on 1H pinch which is my best effort ever. So it depends on person and where are weaknesses.

My mainfocus since christmas have been on thickbars. Have done allmost everything with fat gripz in gym. Now MMS strength is higher than ever and 2H pinch have remained same. Last week got air under 41kg on 1H pinch which is my best effort ever. So it depends on person and where are weaknesses.

I agree with you, I have been doing the same routine, a lot of thick bar and my pinch got really strong, especially with the blobs