Strengthening The Fingers That Set The Gripper, Thumb And Index Finger

strongman2332

I know this may sound different but I realized that if I was able to set the gripper better in my hand (help close the gripper with my index and thumb) I would be able to assume a deeper set enabling me to close heavier grippers. My technique is pretty good! I am able to close my IM#3 pretty easily now! I understand that a deep set is not getting me stronger but this mainly has to do with my success level. I feel as though with more success and closes, the more I want to hit gripper work.

Do any of you guys target these regions with specific exercises? Currently I am doing thumb exercises such as Mighty Joe's static holds with a gripper attached to a loading pin, thumbbell curls, plate curls, thumbbell deadlifts etc...

I am also thinking about pinching a 3/4 inch block attachment or maybe even something thicker which would simulate a set.. a a deadlift variation or something along those lines.

If anyone has suggestions or just insite, please spill the beans! :yikes

I know this may sound different but I realized that if I was able to set the gripper better in my hand (help close the gripper with my index and thumb) I would be able to assume a deeper set enabling me to close heavier grippers. My technique is pretty good! I am able to close my IM#3 pretty easily now! I understand that a deep set is not getting me stronger but this mainly has to do with my success level. I feel as though with more success and closes, the more I want to hit gripper work.

Do any of you guys target these regions with specific exercises? Currently I am doing thumb exercises such as Mighty Joe's static holds with a gripper attached to a loading pin, thumbbell curls, plate curls, thumbbell deadlifts etc...

I am also thinking about pinching a 3/4 inch block attachment or maybe even something thicker which would simulate a set.. a a deadlift variation or something along those lines.

If anyone has suggestions or just insite, please spill the beans! :yikes

Just try setting heavier grippers.

:D

Yea I guess I could just set grippers more lol...

Less spending is the key as well.. I bought a shit ton of grippers so that will work. Do a fews sets of gripper sets without the close. Getting the handle as close to parallel as possible.. sound pretty good?

Yea I guess I could just set grippers more lol...

Less spending is the key as well.. I bought a shit ton of grippers so that will work. Do a fews sets of gripper sets without the close. Getting the handle as close to parallel as possible.. sound pretty good?

Yeah, just practice the set with heavier grippers. Work it as an exercise in itself. :)

Autolupus is correct! Nothing beats the actual movement you're trying to

improve upon (SAID principle).

Couple of things will help if you just stick with heavier grippers:

1) Alternate some smooth handle grippers in the mix.

2) Try setting the gripper without chalk.

3) Timed, sets at parallel.

4) Attach a light stretch band to the gripper spring and the other end to

a stationary object. Now apply tension (slight at first) as you attempt the setting

of the gripper. The tension should be towards the thumb pad as if the gripper is about to flip

out from your thumb. You MUST try this technique to believe the difference it makes in difficulty.

Alternate one setting with the band and the next without. The set without the band becomes

easier each workout. STOP before you experience fatique in your setting strength. Adaptation

takes place no matter what, you don't have to force it.

Hope this helps!

Try it out and let us know.

Edited by Mighty Joe

Autolupus- sounds a plan man!

Mighty Joe- Always great to rep the benefits of your suggestions : )

This attaching a band to a gripper business sounds pretty snazzy! Im having a little trouble understand how to apply the proper tension... is there a possibility for you to take a picture of this set up??

Instead of the smooth handled ones I actually just wrapped the handles in electrical tape... actually works pretty well! I plan on combining this band idea and the wrapped handle gripper. The harder the better : )

Heres a video of the wrapped gripper... tough stuff!

Autolupus is correct! Nothing beats the actual movement you're trying to

improve upon (SAID principle).

Couple of things will help if you just stick with heavier grippers:

1) Alternate some smooth handle grippers in the mix.

2) Try setting the gripper without chalk.

3) Timed, sets at parallel.

4) Attach a light stretch band to the gripper spring and the other end to

a stationary object. Now apply tension (slight at first) as you attempt the setting

of the gripper. The tension should be towards the thumb pad as if the gripper is about to flip

out from your thumb. You MUST try this technique to believe the difference it makes in difficulty.

Alternate one setting with the band and the next without. The set without the band becomes

easier each workout. STOP before you experience fatique in your setting strength. Adaptation

takes place no matter what, you don't have to force it.

Hope this helps!

Try it out and let us know.

This band idea sounds great. Do I understand correctly that you say it will be tougher to set the gripper and make your setting hand stronger?

Thanks.

Hi Jedd!

Yes, it will make setting the gripper more difficult because with the band

attached to the top of the gripper spring you're placing a leverage on the gripper

which trys to lever the gripper out of your hand while your attempting your set.

The neat thing about this strategy is you can control the difficulty by controlling

the tension you can also tweak your positioning allowing force to be applied to your

gripping hand from different angles.

I can do a video demonstartion tomorrow if everyone would like.

Really effective!

Take care and have a wonderful New Year my Grip friends!!!

Edited by Mighty Joe

Very excited for the video demonstration! Jedd, thank you for having him go into greater detail... you worded that perfectly!

I hope you guys have a wondeful new years celebration!

Matt

Hi Jedd!

Yes, it will make setting the gripper more difficult because with the band

attached to the top of the gripper spring you're placing a leverage on the gripper

which trys to lever the gripper out of your hand while your attempting your set.

The neat thing about this strategy is you can control the difficulty by controlling

the tension you can also tweak your positioning allowing force to be applied to your

gripping hand from different angles.

I can do a video demonstartion tomorrow if everyone would like.

Really effective!

Take care and have a wonderful New Year my Grip friends!!!

PLEASE! This sounds innovative. :)

Video is downloading NOW!!!

Should be LIVE within the hour! ;)

Edited by Mighty Joe

Sorry for the delay!

I couldn't get online for hours after video downloaded.

My apologies...

Here's the video:

Edited by Mighty Joe
  • Like 1

Sorry for the delay!

My apologies...

Here's the video:

Now thats what im talkin about! Joe, you are the man : ) thank you for this wonderful demonstration and clear explanation!

Sorry for the delay!

My apologies...

Here's the video:

Mighty Joe, your a genius...you always have new ideas to help us all get strong :bow You da man :rock

Joe thats cool

Parris

Thanks very much guys!

Glad you like it and I hope it helps you and any others that may give it a try.