No Set Close With A Gripper

amaury

What is the most difficult part in a no set attempt on a gripper for the gentle folk of short handed gripsters ?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most difficult part in a no set attempt on a gripper for the gentle folk of short handed gripsters ?

• The first inch ?
    • The entire sweep ?
    • The close ?

Where do you feel the short handed guys are the most handicapped when attempting a no set close on a gripper, assuming they can reach the handle at first ? Is it the sweep (because their leverage are poorer at the beginning) or the close (because the gripper is necessarily set very far in the palm compared to long handed guys) ?

Thanks for the input ! We are planning to do a "sweep test" in the next french grip comp : no set will be allowed and the gripper will have to be closed on a small block of wood 1" thick (it will be like a strap hold but with a very thick strap to only test the sweep). We would like to know whether the "no set" is fair or not for the short handed competitors...

Amaury,

I think it ends up being the close part of the gripper. Usually, to do a no-set you have to position the gripper slightly differently to accentuate the sweep, which invariably makes the gripper out of position to apply full force for the close. It seems like you don't run out of strength at the close as much as range of motion.

I think if you tried to lay the palm side handle at the same spot it sits when you do a set it would make the sweep part (even getting hold of the outside handle) nearly impossible, at least for me.

oh yeah it's got to be the close part from me my little hands are only 7" long i HATE no sets.

Got to be the close, my hands being just over 7 in. the size of the hand has alot to do with the ability to no set close a gripper. not impossible but still difficult.

I think you have to REALLY be able to dominate a gripper to no set close it. As Term pointed out, the hand position is "off" and therefore pure hand power is necessary to finish it off. I find the last 3/8 the hardest right now. I sweep it in and it hits a wall like a lead brick.

I think you have to REALLY be able to dominate a gripper to no set close it.

So guys like Ken Blackman and Josh Bigger who closed #3's the first time they tried have pretty damn strong hands. I believe Josh did a no set if I remember right and I would guess that Ken did too. I wonder how long a #4 would survuve if they went for it.

I'd also like to add that the bigger the hand, IMO the easier to get better gripper position for the close. For me, I basically have to start it with my finger tips and my pinky can't get around the gripper at the start.

Pat Lemieux always close the grippers without setting them. He litteraly pinches the two handles together. He has long hands and fingers which help him to have a good start even without setting the grippers.

Yay!!!

All those guys with 7 inches unite :blush

Haha, yes the no-set is definetly a pure strength thing when using small paws, I found that once the #1 was under my spell I could then start attempting this style of close.

It became quite addictive and now my training on the #2 involves no-sets although it will be a while till I master that one :tongue

The area I feel is the hardest is the close because unless your technique is perfect you might find the beast in slightly the wrong position and you find yourself really having to go some to shut it that last bit, so for me....its the close.

Digz.