Racing Towards The Red Nail, Who Will Be First?

Jared Goguen

Anthony,

I call SHENANIGANS!!!! Lol, that was a great bend. Your tucking your chin very nicely. So now you know you are in 400-410lbs territory. This is a great starting point. If you have a lot of 'L' left I would do volume work with that or anything lighter. You can dial in your technique and learn to loosen those shoulders up. Do not max for a few weeks. You could also push hard: kink, sweep and crush on different days using M. Right now I would not recommend doing that unless you are OK with being sore everyday. If you choose to go the M route remember to eat more and sleep more.

• Like 1

Anthony,

I call SHENANIGANS!!!! Lol, that was a great bend. Your tucking your chin very nicely. So now you know you are in 400-410lbs territory. This is a great starting point. If you have a lot of 'L' left I would do volume work with that or anything lighter. You can dial in your technique and learn to loosen those shoulders up. Do not max for a few weeks. You could also push hard: kink, sweep and crush on different days using M. Right now I would not recommend doing that unless you are OK with being sore everyday. If you choose to go the M route remember to eat more and sleep more.

Thanks EJ. During the bend I made a conscious effort to keep my chin tucked.

Funny you should give me this advice because I was planning to do volume work for a few weeks. I still have G, J, K and L drill rod, so plenty to choose from. Hopefully after killing some of that steel I'll come back and get the M again in a much easier fashion. I definitely can't separate all three aspects of the bend RIGHT NOW, because of all the other training I do. I learned that I require a crapload of rest in between sessions so I won't become one of those guys that had success bending a bunch of stuff everyday, but so far this is working. Thanks again man!

• 3 weeks later...

First day off the break, and first session with the big box of IM steel from NBranson (thanks very much). 5x Yellow and 5x Blue made for a pretty good workout. Looking forward to the next one, whenever that might be. Figure I should feel how the hands feel in a few days.

3 2 15 Pre Bending

3 2 15 post bend

What a nice looking graveyard.

• Like 1

Update:

Went at it again today with another red nail in single IMP's This time I got it down to 3.75'' as opposed to last weeks which stopped me at 4''

Here's a pic of this weeks nail on top of last weeks nail, to show the difference.

post-23333-0-79941600-1425663257_thumb.j

Edited by Anthony C.

Anthony next session do isos on those bars and you will smash it very very soon! Awesome progress!!!!

• Like 1

Anthony next session do isos on those bars and you will smash it very very soon! Awesome progress!!!!

Thanks Josh! It's tough because after I try one of these bad boys, my palms are sore for like days afterward. So not only does it limit the amount of bending I can do but I also can't really train grippers too heavy right now. I guess my hands just need to toughen up more!

They will get used to it, just takes time. I failed at a similar spot on those squares if you remember at 3.5", It took me 3 attempts on 3 different bars before the crush went down, I think you will get the same thing. Next time you will get it closer to 2" if you really go for it, focusing on driving all your upper body strength into the ends of the bar! Again, awesome bending brother!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Added a bit of volume work this past Saturday. 10x IM Yellow nails, Kinked then Swept, then Crushed.

3 21 15 Pre

3 21 15 Crushed

Pretty easy set, just trying to make sure I don't hurt myself yet. Looking forward to getting back into the G and H stock in the coming weeks.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=43354&p=629256

Edited by JaredWith1R
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going to add my name in here. I bend reverse only now so not aiming for a red anytime soon if at all but we shall see. Working on a drill rod order now (planning O-1 F,G and one I, also some W-1 L). I'll get a vid of some of the CRS I have during next weeks session.

• Like 1

Going to add my name in here. I bend reverse only now so not aiming for a red anytime soon if at all but we shall see. Working on a drill rod order now (planning O-1 F,G and one I, also some W-1 L). I'll get a vid of some of the CRS I have during next weeks session.

Stay away from W-1. I've seen it snap more that a few times.

With reverse you will need a very clear ladder of bars going up in strength by very small increments otherwise it makes progress very hard, as you will plateau very easily with that style

I'm chasing a red reverse myself at the moment ;)

Stay away from W-1. I've seen it snap more that a few times.

Well that settles that not going there.

With reverse you will need a very clear ladder of bars going up in strength by very small increments otherwise it makes progress very hard, as you will plateau very easily with that style

I'm chasing a red reverse myself at the moment ;)

Working on setting that up now. I think the drill rod will help a lot, just need to get a starting point figured out. I'll be following your lead me thinks.

When you get some harder stock post a video on here. Also look at Ivan beritashvilli's channel he has some awesome videos on reversing.

Glad to have you in the running, brother. Bending seems to be a gentle progress, so the more people chasing that red, the more interesting and motivational this thread will be.

Good luck!

Couple videos of some of the harder 1/4x7 CRS I can get. This was an extra session this week. I did a third after it where I only kinked it reverse and did the rest DO. I really do not enjoy DO and kinking that way is not kind on my wrist injury. These are in thin suede pads will be in IMP'S next week and can get a video in those if you want or for the next one later.

https://youtu.be/3CKN8RR3x3A

https://youtu.be/wH7nKRJLM90

Late edit: Should I lower my hands? Something I thought about after the fact that might increase my leverage possibly. Would need to test it of course if you think it would be better or worth trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Jared, I cut off the head myself. At 6" it's cal'd 366lbs but at 5" it gets about 30% harder I believe than at 6"! The kink is easier than the crush but I couldn't quite manage the transition. Bolts are a bugger to wrap!

I'd like to see how you fair on a G5 mate, should be reasonably easy for you!

• Like 1

Jared, I cut off the head myself. At 6" it's cal'd 366lbs but at 5" it gets about 30% harder I believe than at 6"! The kink is easier than the crush but I couldn't quite manage the transition. Bolts are a bugger to wrap!

Hey man, this is pretty badass! Have you tried a red nail yet? Seems like you would pretty much walk through one, at least in doubles.

Thanks brother! I haven't got any reds, I do have a few iron grip 140/145kg bars which is the same level to try once my technique is adjusted and better as recently bending has sucked for me. Getting power into the bar especially! I'd love to see how you'd do on a 5" G5 man, should be easy for you dudee

Edited by JoshW

Thanks brother! I haven't got any reds, I do have a few iron grip 140/145kg bars which is the same level to try once my technique is adjusted and better as recently bending has sucked for me. Getting power into the bar especially! I'd love to see how you'd do on a 5" G5 man, should be easy for you dudee

Haha I appreciate the fluff but hell no, I really doubt that it would be easy for me lol.

I would say the same thing EJ said; tuck your chin and hold the hits. Those two adjustments were huge for me.

• Like 1

I like the sound of that! I've got a few bolts that people have sent me with other steel. I'll have to see where I've got and give it a shot for ya. I'm in the O1-I range of about 340lbs right now, so we'll see what a 6" G5 can do to me! I'll definitely get that one on video.

• Like 2

I like the sound of that! I've got a few bolts that people have sent me with other steel. I'll have to see where I've got and give it a shot for ya. I'm in the O1-I range of about 340lbs right now, so we'll see what a 6" G5 can do to me! I'll definitely get that one on video.

Awesome! Get it up asap mate. Watch out for the springy crush ;)