N.a.g.s. Grip Sport Elite Totals

Jedd Johnson

I have been emailing with several people over the course of the year about the Elite Totals for Grip Sport.

As you most likely know, the first Elite totals were set at 800lbs, based on the total between RGC Gripper, Double Overhand Axle Deadlift, and Two Hands Pinch. Totaling 800 on all three lifts within one year's time would qualify you as having an Elite total. Those who totaled Elite would then compete separate of the rest of the group at the competition to keep things more fair and allow newcomers the opportunity to compete amongst people of a similar expertise level.

As time has gone on, with the movement toward weight class divisions, there was an interest in developing Elite Totals for each weight class. The total would be some of a goal to shoot for and something to be proud of once you attained it, and not necessarily a way to continually split groups at contests.

Using the Wilks formula, this is what we have come up with (below) for each of the current weight classes. Brent Barbe spearheaded this one along with others, so if you have questions on how the numbers were attained, I will be giving him the nod to offer the explanation.

120k - 840

120k - 800

105k - 770

93k - 730

83k - 690

74k - 640

66k - 585

59k - 530

Pretty nice spacing between the weight classes. Of course, the athlete must have been weighed the legal ammount prior to the contest per the rules in order to qualify for the Elite placing for that weight class. In other words, if I weigh 120k one contest and then weigh 120k+ the next and I need to use scores from both comps, I can not count the scores attained when I was 120+ toward my 120k Elite total. To me this is pretty straight forward. It is imperative that promoters have their scales properly point-calibrated prior to competitions if the athletes' performances are to be counted.

As always, any questions, please post here.

Lots of stuff going on behind the scenes. Sometimes news develops slowly, but it is not for a lack of efforts. Thanks to Brent and the others who gave suggestions towards reaching this goal.

Jedd

I'd like to thank everyone (especially Brent) for their work on this - I think the numbers are pretty reasonable and give everyone regardless of weight something to shoot for that can be done with some hard training. Ten years from now - as things hopefully advance - we may look back and say they are too easy (or too hard :)) but I like it real well. Now we need to attract some lighter guys like climbers etc to competition and start putting some names on the lists.

Cool idea.

Cool idea.

Welcome back Clay - it's been a while now.

And I'd like to say thanks again to Brent as well as the others that put their heads together on this. I know there was a meeting of the minds after Nats this year and a lot of the groundwork was laid then. Thanks again guys.

I am also looking forward to setting up standards for the women competitors as well once there are enough lifters and enough data to compare.

Brent, does the Wilks system take women's lifts into account at all?

• Like 1

Guys once I get the contest results for the performance list up to date I will see what I can come up with for a page for the combined totals.

- Aaron

Well thought-out guys. makes a lot of sense and you can obviously adjust it over time if necessary.

chris rice did tell me at some point this past 6 months at durniat's place that there would be an effort to adjust things for the lighter guys. through some of the recent changes, it has become obvious he wasn't blowin smoke. hopefully this does get some lighter guys more interested in competing.

• 2 weeks later...

2012 Nationals One Contest One Year Bests

Grippers (20mm block) 146.3 146.3 156

Pinch 224.53 232.61 232.61

Axle 356.38 356.38 356.38

Totals 727.21 735.29 744.99

2011 Gripmas Pinch 232.61

Best Gripper 156

So the formatting went crazy - here's the cliff notes

Best Elite one contest total is 727.21#

Best one year total is 735.29#

Best lifts ever in competition is 744.99#

So under the new weight class numbers - I made Elite !

• Like 1

IF, you were in the 93K weight group at the time.

for instance, i have in the last year competed at 280#, 204#, and 225#. I can't used my 2hp from my 280# days to qualify elite in the 204# class. it does however work the other way, ie, if I total 900 in the 66k cclass than I am elite in all weight classes above that as long as the total meats the requirement.

i apologize if this isn't clear using my real body weights off memory instead of kilo's for the classes.

for instance, i have in the last year competed at 280#, 204#, and 225#. I can't used my 2hp from my 280# days to qualify elite in the 204# class. it does however work the other way, ie, if I total 900 in the 66k cclass than I am elite in all weight classes above that as long as the total meats the requirement.

i apologize if this isn't clear using my real body weights off memory instead of kilo's for the classes.

Brent - I was in 93K class within the rules agreed upon. My BW really hasn't changed but a few pounds for a long time.

This chart gives me motivation to lose weight - a lot of weight, if I want to hit elite numbers :grin:

I understand. I wanted to put that out there for everyone. I know that not too many people swing weight like I do but, I'm sure there's more than a couple of people who are at the line who might bounce back and forth over it. this is especially tru with things like WSH where the different weight classes are not as emphasized so someone might not drop the extra 2 pounds. plus, we don't want to establish a bad precident.

Brent - I was in 93K class within the rules agreed upon. My BW really hasn't changed but a few pounds for a long time.