Grip "powerlifting" Total

bencrush

I bet I'm not the only one lately that thinks of these three events as the "powerlifting total" of grip.:D

MMS Grippers would be the obvious " raw bench press" comparison.

Axle would I guess have to be the "raw deadlift" comparison.

And that leaves 2HP being the "raw squat" comparison.

Just like I enjoy looking at the powerlifting single-event world records and adding them to see what a theoretical world record total could be - I like doing the same with Grip Sport's version of the powerlifting trio too.

Contest performances interest me most - but huge performances (witnessed or just a well-known figure) also get my attention and I mentally add those up and daydream about them.

-MMS Grippers: 205lbs-ish calibrated gripper

-2HP: 264lbs-ish.

-Axle: 503lbs-ish.

That total is approximately 972lbs!:whacked - Elite is 800lbs.

If you take 75% (which is what some people consider a "world class" or just "very good" percentage of Olympic lifting records) of that number (which is what Tom Black used to do with grip "best or world records" on his website) you'll get about 729lbs.

Or broken down by event - all are 75% of the above best performances:

-MMS Grippers: 154lbs

-2HP: 198lbs

-Axle: 377lbs

The MMS Grippers and 2HP number are both very close to the NASGA qualifying standards. The gripper number is 4lbs higher. The 2HP number is 2lbs lower. The Axle number is 52lbs higher.

Who has the highest single-competition Elite total? In a contest that featured all 3 events - not spread out over several contests.

Who will be the first to total 900lbs in a contest? It's possible that someone already has since there have been some monstrous Axle numbers floating around lately. Andrew Durniat, Mobster, Chad Woodall come immediately to mind as possibilities. I know Jedd, Dave T., and Aaron C, and Ryan J., Adam Glass, and a few I'm missing right now would be pretty close on really "on" days too.

I'm a total grip n00b so I have nothing substantial to add, but I love this kind of stuff. I wasn't aware that grip sport even had qualifying totals. Makes me want to think about competing down the road.

When I started PL a year ago my mid-term goal (~3 years) was total raw elite for my weight class and it would be nice to have a similar, grip-specific mid- to long-term goal. I'll be watching this closely--thanks for posting!

My best total all in one comp is something like this:

Gripper - 182

Pinch - 249

Axle - 386

Total - 817. Those are just estimates off the top of my head.

Great total Jedd! Thanks for adding your info. I'm unofficially going to start keeping track of all the Elite contest totals. Good stuff!

Who will be the first to total 900lbs in a contest?

If Rich Williams were to ever enter a "tradtional" grip contest, he would certainly do it. I am not sure that will ever happen.

If Rich Williams were to ever enter a "tradtional" grip contest, he would certainly do it. I am not sure that will ever happen.

That is a good idea you came up with Ben.Powerlifting for grip.

I think my best total at a comp where all 3 events occurred was in Early 2010 at Cactus Grip 3

Grippers 185

2HP 224

Axle 400

Total: 809

My best ever in comp on these events has been:

Grippers: 195 MM6 Dup, also 194 #4

Pinch: 246.4#

Axle: 400

- Aaron

Has Rich ever tried the 2 HP on an actual Euro type setup? I'm sure he would do well but until the day who knows. But with a 500# Axle and maybe a 180 or so grippers - he isn't going to need much to total Elite - is he?

No just best of the two hands.

Has Rich ever tried the 2 HP on an actual Euro type setup? I'm sure he would do well but until the day who knows. But with a 500# Axle and maybe a 180 or so grippers - he isn't going to need much to total Elite - is he?

No, he wouldn't need much at all.

I think Steve Gardener must be over 900lbs, not sure about all in one contest though. Were those events all in the Woodall contest?

In my contest in 2009 I hit these numbers:

Grippers - 199

2HP - 245

Axle - 441

Total - 885

In my contest in 2009 I hit these numbers:

Grippers - 199

2HP - 245

Axle - 441

Total - 885

Shocking! :yikes

If this were to become the standard for measuring a grip athlete, i would say it should be the total on grippers, best of right and left hand combined. Otherwise you may as well do best one hand axle/pinch lifts and only ever test one hand in a contest.

Edited by Paul Savage

If this were to become the standard for measuring a grip athlete, i would say it should be the total on grippers, best of right and left hand combined. Otherwise you may as well do best one hand axle/pinch lifts and only ever test one hand in a contest.

I like this idea. I always want to feature both hands in any contests I promote or help put together. But due to time constraints that usually gets dropped.

Quick thought on this as well is that if you combine the two you then get an elite level of a 1000lb club e.g 175+175 350lb gripper / 425lb axle / 225lb pinch for 1000 even.

I like this idea. I always want to feature both hands in any contests I promote or help put together. But due to time constraints that usually gets dropped.

Sure, but looking at this purely from a single contest stand point, and not personal best, you only need those 3 events plus a wrist and static event. It's only doing medleys and such that takes a ton of time. I don't like the idea of it having to be in the same contest or even a contest at all though, that puts a lot of limits on it. I think clear video proof to a required standard should be good enough.

The Movement Minneapolis contest in Nov will have MMS grippers, 2HP, and Axle...so its a chance for people to get all three events in single day.

All in one comp was:

Gripper - 182

2HP - 204

Axle - 386

Total of 772. I was 18 at the time.