Tendinitis Or Worse ?

Richard Maguire

Below in an exert from an email with a friend of mine who is a physical therapist. I had been reading on the various grip forums about injuries, tendinitis and the like and asked his opinion about continuing training with an injury.

This was his response:

Attached is an article describing the difference in tendinitis and tendinosis. There are distinctions between these two types of tendinopathy. In short, tendinitis is an acute inflammatory condition and tendinosis is a chronic condition resulting from repeated bouts of tendinitis. One thing I think this article does not mention is that there can be an acute episode (tendinitis) superimposed on the chronic tendinosis. Regardless, these are by definition overuse syndromes or cumulative trauma. In other words, repetitive injuries with relatively low force over a long period of time, as opposed to blunt force trauma that is high force in an instantaneous time frame. Emphasis on the relatively, because what you guys are doing is repetitions to failure, i.e. high resistance, low reps. As with everything, there are different degrees.

Here is a link to the site he refers to

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2000/05_00/khan.htm

Please Notice in the article times suggestted for recovery . This may answer the question as to why some get over there Tendinitis quickly and others who don't may actually have tendinosis.

Please excuse me if this has already been posted. I am new to the forum but did do an archive search looking for similiar info. Army