Changing The Spread Of Your Gripper

Dude

Crap. I ordered a HG300 to do some no set work to help with my #3 close. Was excited until it arrived today. It has a spread of 2 1/8, the handles look like they're almost parallel. Even with my 7.5" hands a no set attempt is just as good as a good set with a regular gripper.

I was wondering if I could make the spread bigger, 2 3/4 at least would be nice. Is it possible to pull the handles apart to make it wider? I just took it out of the package so i can't imagine what its going to season down to.

I was thinking of maybe pulling the handles to the spread I wanted and heating it and letting it cool and maybe it would stay there. I thought I remember a thread with people talking about making their spreads bigger. Not sure if heat would weaken it significantly to the point it would be trashed, maybe some light constant heat would be different.

BTW, if your wondering if its gonna go up for sale or trade if I cant fix the spread the answer is yes, and prob will be the last HG I own if they're this inconsistent.

Yes, HGs are very inconsistent. Mine was like 3" and some change when I first got it, and harder than most #3s. Now it's 2 ½", and about a Super Master. If you really want to work on TNS for a #3, sell the HG and get a Super Master. Sounds like you got a rediculously easy HG300.

As far as the spread thing goes, if you are planning on selling the gripper, don't heat it. I don't know what pulling on it might do, but honestly I would just sell it and get the damn Super Master.

When that thing seasons it is going to be under 2". Is it pretty weak compared to a #3?

I'd say sell or trade it. I don't think it's a good idea to screw around with heating, cooling, and stretching the spring on a gripper. Too much injury risk for something so inexpensive to replace.

I would just sell it. If you try to modify the gripper to make it wider, it would probably break. I had a HG300 that I sold and I measured it before shipping it and it was a 1 3/4" spread. Sucks. No more HGs for me.