Making the CoC's more comfortable

Guest Sebenza

Guest Sebenza

Many of you veterans have probably already found a solution (like callouses!), but if you are just starting out, like me, this may help.

I work in healthcare so my hands don't get very roughed up.  When I work in the yard I'm usually wearing leather gloves.

I found that working with my CoC T was limited to the amount of pain I could take from the sharp checkering on the handles, not how tired my forearms got.  Not wanting to wait until calluses appeared before I could really work the Trainer I took a diamond knife sharpener and very very lightly brushed the checkering.  This took off the sharp tops of the checkering.  However, it still leaves it with a very tough and secure gripping surface.  In fact, I can tell no difference in its grip.  It just doesn't hurt anymore, even though it still feels rough enough to cause callouses.

I'm sure a file would do the same job, just be sure to do it very lightly.  You can't put back what you've taken off.

• 3 months later...
Guest badkarma67

hey sebenza..my beef builder did the same thing..so instead of permanently altering it..i just bought a 99 cent roll of athletic tape at wal mart....one wrap per handle and it`s toned down enough to allow callousing but not murder on my hands

• 1 month later...

Here's my 2 cents on the sharp checkering, otherwise known on this forum as "knurling" - on those grippers.

I HATE IT!!  I hate sharp knurling, and I always have.  There are some on this board that say that your hands will "get used to it".  How can you get used to pain?!?  Forget it!  I tried all sorts of things, but what worked for me is this:  go to any hardware store (like Home Depot), and get those foam rubber sanding blocks with light grit.  Then sand down the gripper to your liking!  No more sharp knurling, and no more pain.  Now life is wonderful again!  :)

Guest kINGPIN

I wanted to wait before I posted a reply to this subject because I only had my first proper workout with them last night.  My hands are not roughed up, I wear gloves for all my pulling movements and don't do any manual labour.  I am not in any way trying to be macho or play the toughman when I say this, but, I do not find them that uncomfortable when I am using them.  I was going all out on the gripper last night for 3 sets on each hand after all my other work.  Compared to the sets of squats I did that night, the disscomfort in my hands from this gripper was bliss.  I managed to take a slice of skin off the little finger on my left hand which is a bit sore now, but that was becuse I slipped.  My veiw on this may change when I move up to the #2.  :)

One idea that I have gor for you that is not so drastic as filing off the knurling it to use loads of chalk on the handly to clog it up a bit.  It may make the points of the checkering a little less deep.  I figured this because this is what can happen with the bars in my gym when the hav'nt been cleaned in a while.