2004 August - Arm & Hand Strength Challenge - Dave H

Dave H

On Saturday, the 21st of August Donnie JaJohn put on the Arm & Hand Strength Challenge in the little village of Centerburg, Ohio up in Knox County. He had talked about it earlier in the summer but the last I heard, it was not going to happen. Friday night after I got home from work and had my workout, my wife and I drove into town for dinner and a few beers at The Harvest Bar & Grill. Amy told me that the comp was going to happen at 1pm the next day. That night I made a few late night phone calls. I called Cobra, Dan Victor, Mike Bowling, Bryon Wellman and Bill Ballanger. My computer has been in the shop and my wife did not pick it up until Saturday afternoon so there was no way to PM Doc (Sean Dockery). And I could not find his phone number. Sorry buddy, I did try. Also, I could not get a hold of Cobra, Bill or Dan. Mike said he could not make it. Bryon, as I knew, works nights driving a truck across the state hauling bulk mail. I called his cell phone and got him just as he was leaving the dock on his run. He said he would be there! At about 12:30 pm Saturday Bryon rolls down my road throwing a dust trail behind his Caddy and by the time we got back into town it had almost started. Bryon had driven from Youngstown to Knox County after driving the truck all night!

To make this short, Bryon smoked the 45 pound Blob with both hands (None of us lifted the 50 pound Blob.). There was an 18 inch table and to be credited with a lift you had to place the Blob on the table. Bryon did this with both hands. I got the 40 pound Blob with both hands and cracked the 45 pound Blob from the ground a few times but could not get it to the table. 24 year old Paul Kazee, 6 foot, 3 inch 190 pounds, got the 40 pound Blob to the table and came damn close to getting the 45 pounder. He had never heard of a Blob until that day!

Bryon closed the #3 gripper with his right hand 3 times. That was a first for him. He had actually thought that he had picked up a #2 and finding it "rather hard" had cranked into it. He got the "ok" from the judges and I said, "Great Job!" He looked at me and said, "No it wasn't! I almost didn't get it!" Then I said, "That's a #3!" He looked at it and then danced a jig! He did it 2 more times after that. I closed the #2 for 10 reps and then a little later tried the #3. I missed it by about an eighth every time. I should not have did so many reps with the #2 or the Blob! My son, Jim Hampton, closed the #2 with both hands, and came within a half-an-inch on the #3. Paul Kazee closed the #1 but could not get the #2. Donnie and Ken Hilton closed the #1 as well.

Then we moved to the DB-Swing. We started with an 80 pounder. Everyone got that. Then we went to a 100 pounder. I got that with both hands. Jim got it right-handed, Paul got it right-handed on his 3rd try. Donnie and the rest missed at 100 pounds. Byron when on to get 120 with his right hand. I missed 120 twice and figured that was enough.

Then came the EZ-Curls and the DB Wrist-curls. Donnie decided that this would be for reps at 100 pounds. That was fine with me. My PR at 100 had been 25. I figured if I could do 20 I would win. Well, I hit 20 reps and was still going strong. Everyone was screaming to keep going, and I did. I ended up getting 40 reps with 100 pounds in the EZ-Curl! All the rules stated was that you could not bend your knees at any point and your heels had to be together. You could move your upper body, but without bending the knees and with the heels together, you could only move about 3 inches in either direction without falling over. And everyone could do it the same way, so it was fair. Bryon got 15 reps, Jim got 5 reps, Donnie got 2. No one else could get any reps.

In the DB Wrist-Curls, I got a 100 pounder for 20 reps each hand. Bryon got 8 and Jim got 1. No one else got any reps with the 100 pounder.

Afterwards we stopped at The Harvest for some food and beer. Then Me, Bryon, Jim and Paul, along with my wife and one of her friends from work, ended up at our place and drank beer into the weee hours of the morning. My biceps and forearms are still fried! Anyway, we had a great time. Next time I will try to get Sean out there because he would have manhandled that 50 pound Blob.

Sixgun...

Sounds like a fun contest and a good time for all. Thanks for the report!

I wish I could have made that. I was down here putting insulation in my shed. Get togethers are way more fun than inhaling fiberglass and getting all itchy....

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I coulda been there!

What kind of range of motion was required on the dumbbell wrist curls? By the way, great lifting, Sixgun!

That sounds like fun :D. I wish someone made a contest around where I live :cry

There have been 3 grip contests and 2 gripboard gatherings in the last six months in the LA area!

Eric,

As standard to most Armwrestlers, we go below parallel - or below flat - and then come up above flat in the hooked position. I have been doing those for many years. We had a great time. and I hope to have Sean out there for the next one. He and Nick will blow the Blob away!!

Sixgun...