Mmg1 Signups - 4rd Session

Bill Piche

Hey, move him to the back of the list if it is necessary. But I want to point out a few things:

#1 - Eli has closed all the threes and Elites I have closed except for the ones I no longer have in my possession.

#2 - I signed him up, thinking there was a video that showed the close posted on the Diesel Crew site. Eli almost never gets on the board, so I didn't want him to miss his window. That video does not clearly show the close, however, so we have been trying to get a video that does show it, but we have not been successful. The reason we have not been trying hard to get the video is because there were two people to go in line before him.

#3 - I am surprised to see all of this "checking up" by other members. I am all about protocol, but I was unfamiliar with the rule of having to have the video of the three close before even signing up.

Either way, no problem. But I am interested to know if the cause for bringing this up was to stick with protocol or more to cast doubt on whether Eli has closed a three.

Franky, feel free to be direct and to the point next time you want to ask a question - I have no problem with that.

-Jedd-

I just checked the pinned thread called "The Rules" and there is no indication that someone must provide video before signing up. It only says they can't attempt the gripper without providing the video.

Are we still allowing video of GM closes as a qualifier?

Sorry for the confusion.

-Jedd-

I for one have no doubt when Diesel proper makes a claim. I've never once seen you guys say something you couldn't back up. I doubt anyone else would. You guys are class acts. With that in mind, I will give Bill and others the benefit of the doubt and say it is about following protocol to avoid playing favorites or being accused of doing so.

If I'm wrong I'm open to discussion, but I would put the odds that I am at less than 5%.

Ps. Eli is a freak of nature under expert tuteledge with an apetite to work hard. Enough for me.

With that in mind, I will give Bill and others the benefit of the doubt and say it is about following protocol to avoid playing favorites or being accused of doing so.
Hey, believe me - Bill has always been direct with me. We've gone around on a couple things, and I respect that. He has skirted NO issues in this thread at all, so I'm in agreement with you there, dubthewonderscot.
I for one have no doubt when Diesel proper makes a claim. I've never once seen you guys say something you couldn't back up.

Thank you for that. Personally, there's nothing more annoying to me than when someone makes claims they're going to do something, or claims they did something when they didn't.

I have a lot of respect for people who are reserved and let their actions talk. I especially like the way Dan Cendicoza put it a few weeks back - "Always round down." That way if you can't repeat a feat, you don't look like a liar.

-Jedd-

Edited by Jedd Johnson

I guess I've always understood that you either had to be a CoC or "certified" on the #3 or BBGM via pic and witness, recently amended to Video and a witness. I wouldn't get too worked up about it. My personal opinion is that the MM0 process is a bit overkill, as I indicated on the Rules thread. But the rules were voted on and the video/witness decision was made, process set in stone. Score Eli a MM0/CoC cert, get the MM1 and get 'er done.

Rule #8 of "The Rules" explains the process clearly
Yes, Rick - you are right, it is plain as day.
8. The close must be video taped at the time it's witnessed. The video must be of sufficient quality to take a CLEAR still of the gripper handles shown touching (the equivalent of taking a still picture with a camera). The video must then be submitted to Wannagrip for gripboard posting. VHS, 8mm, 8mm digital, or digital format from digital cameras are fine. For the entry level MMG, the handle ends must CLEARLY be shown to prove it is an IM#3 or Tetting Grand Master. If the video is in question, two other gripboard members will be called on to judge. The witness and the 2 other judges will then vote with a 2 out of 3 verdict passes the certification. The gripper must not go "off camera".

It is plain as day that it does not say that the gripster has to have shown the video before SIGNING UP.

-Jedd-

I am glad you now are no longer confused!... As I recall, one of the

German members went through the video/witness process for the

MMG0 to verify his qualifications for the MMG1 level

I just checked the pinned thread called "The Rules" and there is no indication that someone must provide video before signing up. It only says they can't attempt the gripper without providing the video.

Are we still allowing video of GM closes as a qualifier?

Sorry for the confusion.

-Jedd-

I haven't updated the rules yet after we hashed this out. One has to be qualified on the MMG0 and Jedd and I recently had a discussion via PM on the rules going forward. And, I posted a poll on it to get feedback before we set the rules.

It's never been an issue where someone might say..sign up for the MMG3 before they even qualify for the MMG2 or even the MMG1. It should be inherent but I guess I need to spell it out in the rules. No big deal.

You have to be qualified at a previous level before you sign up for the next.

Somone mentioned "who" it was with respect to who did what and "that they believe they did it, etc.". Frankly, I don't care if God came on here saying he closed the #3 and was MMG0 qualified. He better have a video that shows the close and had it witnessed. :laugh

Sorry guys that the rules have not been updated. I have been pretty busy. :)

I hope this clears everything up?

Gee, I hope no one thinks I was trying to cut in line. If it was up to me, Eli could go next. Lord knows I need all the training time I can get.

I am glad you now are no longer confused!... As I recall, one of the

German members went through the video/witness process for the

MMG0 to verify his qualifications for the MMG1 level

The point you said was in the rules ISN'T in the rules, Rick.

-Jedd-

I updated the rules. I added one word to this rule as well to make it more clear:

10. No member can signup or attempt an MMG1 or higher levels unless they have been certified as a Mash Monster. Higher levels are qualified by certifying at the lower level (e.g., must certify at Level 1 to try to cert at Level 2).

The word in blue is the word I added. I hope this makes them more clear.

Since Eli got stuck in rule changes/clarifications he can remain as is provided he meets the criteria prior to him being up.

Going forward, the rules are now clear and set.

• 1 month later...

I have my witness lined up-larsontodd- and camera girl as well.

If everything is up to date on your end (cert fee, address, etc) go ahead and send the MM1 for my attempt whenever you are able. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Austin had to drop out this time around. Looks like Jason Allen is up next. Jason, you out there?

Austin had to drop out this time around. Looks like Jason Allen is up next. Jason, you out there?

I'm ready. My witness will be Matt VanWeele. I will contact him to get a date ready. Larry Malcomson will probably be certifying on the same day as well. I will contact him to let him know we are next in line. Jason Allen