Im Red Nail Rule Clarification/modification

Clay Edgin

To me it is in the same category as card tearing, phone book ripping and the like. A difficult feat that requires strength and technique and also impresses onlookers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• CMunger

• jad

• Zach Passman

My point is that bending is a "feat", not a wrist exercise.

How can bending (not including folding here) not be a wrist exercise when I feel tremendous strain in my wrists when going all out. You could call a 700lbs one hand lift or closing a #4 party tricks as well based on your vague definition. Did you say that you just went back to bending after your wrists had recovered? Why the wait since it is not a wrist exercise? Is pinching just pinching and not about thumb strength?

My point is that bending is a "feat", not a wrist exercise.

How can bending (not including folding here) not be a wrist exercise when I feel tremendous strain in my wrists when going all out. You could call a 700lbs one hand lift or closing a #4 party tricks as well based on your vague definition. Did you say that you just went back to bending after your wrists had recovered? Why the wait since it is not a wrist exercise? Is pinching just pinching and not about thumb strength?

Because I never said that wrist strength wasn't required. I never said it didn't stress the wrists. I just think it's a poor choice for wrist work because like it or not, 'folding' is still bending.

I'm not gonna address your comparisons to pinching or one hand lifting, because those are really dumb comparisons. My sentiments echo Old Guys. Bending = Card tearing, phone book ripping, etc.

Edited by CMunger

Maybe it would be better to fold rather than endure tremendous stress or even pain and injury to the wrists. Nothing smart about self inflicted pain and injury. :calm

like it or not, 'folding' is still bending.

This got me to thinking....

For those of you that truly believe that folding and bending are different: Is Gavin Holle not a world class bender but just a world class folder? He started this whole Double overhand movement when became the second person to bend a Red Nail and shook up the bending world by using a technique not many seemed to understand. Depending on who you talk to, Pat or Gavin are generally considered the two best benders in the world, so is Pat the world's best bender and Gavin the world's best folder? Can either of them match Slim's best with Slim's style?(just asking, I don't know) If not doesn't he deserved to be mentioned as a candidate for the world's best bender? What about Shrug or Big Steve...can Pat or Gavin bend the same steel as them using the double underhand?(again I don't know just asking). If not they should rightfully be mentioned too.

Don't get me wrong I can "fold" a lot tougher steel than I can with a non-folding style but either way I'm bending metal.

My distinction is simple. Once you rip a deck of cards/tear a licence plate/bend a nail I cannot then perform the same feat on EXACTLY THE SAME apparatus, Even with the well known variances in grippers, you can close it then hand it to me to attempt.

Anyway, this thread is getting perilously close to completely forgetting about the new IM rule. :(

I think all of the mentioned feats become "party tricks" when either weak material, tampered material, or suspect technique are used to give the impression of greater strength.

If you are bending real stuff properly, I have yet to find a better wrist developer.

press = bending

jerk = folding

The press and jerk are both overhead lifts, but one was viewed as a pure test of shoulder strength, and the other viewed as test of overall strength (or a party trick, depending on who you ask). So they were contested as separate lifts. Of course a strict press was hard to define and judge so it was eventually dropped from comp. Some stong parallels to bending...

Nice analogy suterp!

I have always looked at bending as a feat of strength. The difference between a feat of strength and a party trick is that anyone can do a party trick once they learn the secret. A feat of strength requires not only technique, but lots of training and well above average strength. People are impressed by both, but a party trick can be taught quickly. A feat of strength requires years to perfect.

Now back to the new IM rule. In my opinion it's cheaper to add a line to the rules than it is to start selling a new nail. That's why they're doing it this way. I certainly don't think it will cut down on the number of people certing on reds. It just might take some who are close a little longer to get used to the different pads. When I eventually focus on bending again I'll be sure to buy their pads. They're cheap and from what I've heard fairly effective. So what's the big deal?

There's no reason for us to get all worked up over this. :calm

I think the party trick reference is being taken a bit too literally. I just mean that it's fodder for viewing spectacle. And for what it's worth, bending can be taught in a relatively short period of time. Hand a newbie a 60d nail and tell them to bend it, and you can sit back and enjoy the fruitless show. I did it last week. Then I taught him some proper technique and he managed a kink/wobble. I think he'd have gotten a 40d. So now he knows how to do "the party trick" That doesn't mean he's going out and bending Grade 5, 8's Reds, cut Reds, etc. That's what takes the time and training, getting REALLY GOOD at it. Juggling is a party trick. Does that mean that anyone can be taught to juggle 2 chainsaws, a bowling ball and a live chicken? No. Can anyone be taught to bend cut Reds? No.

I kinda like where Suterp's analogy is going, although I think the Jerk is too radical a comparison. I'd say that the double overhand is maybe more of wide grip vs. narrow grip pressing.

I'm gonna add that maybe leather is kinda like the bench shirt controversy, and I like that IM is making a simple but strict definition for their certifications. So for the IBF (Ironmind Bending Federation), the rules are clear on allowable gear. End of story on that particular facet.