Bending V Folding

gazza

Bill

Well said on your last post,however yet again another post/topic is locked due to one persons rudeness and negativety :angry:

Alot of people on this board bend just for the hell of it and we then feel that we have to step upto the mark because of 1 persons contineous negativety and outbirsts,we are not even able to discuss a persons accomplishments before they are tarnished and the thread is locked.

If this carries on in these bending threads(the contineous locking)i for one will remove myself from this forum as i am getting a little pissed off with not being able to congradulate and talk about my fellow benders achievements. :angry:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• mobsterone

• SHRUG

• Bill Piche

Alot of people on this board bend just for the hell of it and we then feel that we have to step upto the mark because of 1 persons contineous negativety and outbirsts,we are not even able to discuss a persons accomplishments before they are tarnished and the thread is locked.

Lets stick to the facts. Mr Meat did not post that he after long and hard work finally had overcome a nail he had been aiming for. What he said was that someone told him to basically stop using his wrists and instead, by using super tough padding, push hard into the end of the nail, which is about as far away from the original oldtimer way of bending steel as you can get. So exactly what achievment was I pissing on? This bending style will cause major controversy (with or without me) as it will be used in competitions to come so it is certainly not just a matter of people doing it for the fun of it. I could not care less about who is doing what to a nail if this style never made it to contests. People originally convinced that all overhand styles with various wrappings were legit are now having second thoughts.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Moderator discretion: Sorry, but this post needed to be completely

edited out. Extreme language and the personal attack that was written,

was unnecessary and inappropriate.

Fact: It wasn't what Meat said. It was what you said, having ingnored a poll where the vast majority said they did not care for it to be discussed again and again. You are more than familier with posts regarding pinching machines and how that carried on.

Why not wait until u can say 'I told you so'?

mikael,

let me suggest something to you?.....who cares how they bend as long as it was unbraced? things change with time......we may not bend like the old time strongmen, most of whom bent UNDERHAND, but the point it we are still carrying it on......you must be strong all over your entire body to bend steel.

Moderator interjection: This reply was edited for personal attack

keep pushing it and this thread will be locked. Thanks

Mikael, how about this: you bend the way you like and we'll bend the way we like, imagine that :whacked

I was very pleased to see how popular bending became after it started to be incorporated into grip strength competitions and I want it to remain as an allround grip strength event. This new style threatens the very existence of bending as part of gripstrength competitions. Most of you don't seem to understand that now, but that may change soon.

I'd really like to reply with probably the same thing Hammerhead said, but I will keep it civil.

Mikael, just relax man. This topic doesn't require all this drama. Just bend the way you want and leave it alone.

If we don't "understand", then some day you will get your chance for a big "I told you so." Until then.....let's play the silent game eh?

Good thread btw gazza

Edited by Thaibox

This is like arguing between no chalk, high hand placement, no-set grip strength and a deep set with chalk and hands...maybe. Not an exact comparison, but the way i was bending before was hands very close together and/or terminator style. When i did the good bending was when i placed myhands far out just like all the other great benders here!!!!!!!!!! :angry: The hands farther out was just leverage. it was 1 foot long, 3 inch wide leather. it wasn't that damn thick.

MEAT

People need to stop acting like this folding issue ia so big. Folding isn't the death penalty or abortion, its just a way to bend steel leave it at that. Last time I checked most people don't like fascism.

Folding can not even be compared to Bending, the two feats are totally different. Folding takes almost zero wrist strength and should not be considered a legal way to bend in competition. It is so much easier it is not even funny.

I was one of the minority who voted in the poll to let the discussion continue, I assumed it would be in a constructive manner and was obvious mistaken. Meat had a PR, regardless of style, and should be congratulated. There have already been numerous threads regarding this argument, so why hijack his thread and ding him on a great day?

I may not be a captain of crush, but I am a captain of search. I have read a lot of history on this board, and am frustrated by how childlike some people get when using a keyboard. Here's an example, wanna locks a thread pending proof of a 'world class feat', Mikael tells him to 'get a life' and accuses him of enforcing rules 'depending on what side of the atlantic' one is one!! I sense a pattern.......

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=3185&hl=

Come on Mikael, I appreciate what you're trying to do but take the hint that you need to go upon it in a different manner. You want to change everyone's style in a day, it ain't gonna happen. I 'fold', can't even bend a timber tie double overhand at waist level, but it sure is fun and exciting to see the progression and set PRs!! Maybe some day I will make you proud and bend in a manner that you approve, but for now make sure you enforce the style that you want to see when you're running comps, and let others bend how they want in their own homes.

Now, IMO a credit card rule close is a much harder feat than a 1" set and is more faithful to how the close was intended long ago. I could easily duplicate the spirit of your reply to Meat whenever someone acheives a PR with a set, and the flames would be unreal. The important note is that i would never do that, since I respect everyone who isn't sitting on a couch all day wasting their lives away.

I just started my own log, I make no excuses to the style I use, and hope I can get constructive feedback to help me progress without being told 3 times a week that I'm not actually bending, and actually taking the easy road :cool btw, let the folders take a u shaped nail to 100 people and say 'is this straight?', 100 people will say 'no its bent' and 0 will say 'no its folded'. I fold my pants and sheets, and bend my nails :mosher

Must be fun to be a mod right now ;)

Hehehehehehehehe.....

I was suprised my post was rubbed out.

That's ok, I can see how it could be taken wrong.

M.S.: I wasn't attacking you personally, and I hope you didn't take it that way. Sometimes, nautical terminology isn't taken well.

Lets see.......how does it go?....... what I was trying to say was: "If you can't say anything thing nice, don't say anything at all."

I understand your point, even though I dissagre. Don't matter. Let's keep negative shit to ourselves.

-HH

Plain and Simple: Folding is cheating

It is not the same as bending by using lower arm and wrist strength and anyone who thinks that it is even remotely as difficult is kidding themselves.

Been out of the loop for awhile, what makes up a fold? Is it strictly doubkle overhand and that's all?

Replying to Shrug, that is another way of describing it. For competition, we either need to standardize wrapping, making it impossible to push hard straight into the ends of a straight bar or ban the double overhand style as a way of starting a bend. Double overhand can be a great wrist exercise if done properly but moving the hands to the end of the bar and start pushing turn it into something of a joke if the intention is to demonstrate fore arm strength.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I still cornfused. Is Pat's double overhand considered folding? How much has to be out to be considered folding?

Using multiple layers of leather is a joke in itself.

Using multiple layers of leather is a joke in itself.

So is using a big thick ass towel.