Diet And Nutrition

Rick Walker

Right now I'm doing a cyclical keto diet eating greens and lean meats with EFAs and protein powder M-Thurs, carb loading Thursday night and Friday, and eating maintenance calories Saturday and Sunday. I have lost about 8 lbs over 4 weeks of dieting. I'm 6'1" @ 220lbs currently.

Normally, while bulking, I drink about a gallon of milk (w/ whey added) throughout the day, and eat 3 meals, usually pretty clean stuff. I generally try to avoid refined foods and trans fats. I don't eat much junk or hi-GI stuff unless it's PWO or during carb loading while cutting.

A good book that I've found for solid nutrional advice is, "The Schwarzbein Principle", by Diana Schwarzbein. It's a cheap book and worth the money. Her book does not advocate a "diet". It basically tells you how to eat healthy and how to combine foods. .

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Landon

• jad

• Bill Piche

• Patrik_F

Your understanding of trans fats is a little off.

Saturated fats can't be trans fats because a trans fat has to have an unsaturated double bond to be "trans"

A trans fat is a mon or poly unsaturated fat that has been modified through hydrogenation or overheating. The body tries to use them where it would use an essential fatty acid but the trans fat gets stuck in the receptor and makes a mess of the metabolism.

Also the body cannot change a saturated fat into a mono or poly essential fatty acid (thus why they are considered essential to consume). It can process it for energy or store it as bodyfat.

Not trying to be picky, just want to make sure people get good info.

As to how I would know, I have the misfortune to be the industrial chemist and quality control lab guy at a factory that manufactures margarine and bakery fats :whistel

No offense taken, I was just passing on what I thought I remembered from college chemistry and biology. I was assuming hydrogenation would saturate the fat by 'forcing' hydrogen into it and breaking the double carbon bond in the fat.

BTW, I sell pesticides, so health isn't my forte' anyway.

My understanding is that a saturated fats looks like this: C-C-C-C..., with every carbon containing a Hydrogen atom attached in the two empty spaces, while a mono unsaturated looks like this: C-C=C-C... The two carbons in the middle can only hold one hydrogen apiece, so it is not "fully saturated". Hydrogenation attempts to break the double carbon bond so that another hydrogen atom can be attached. That concludes my 'Reader's Digest' knowledge of biological chemistry. :erm

What I don't understand is what is the difference between a trans fat and a cis fat? :blush

Um..it's been awhile since I counted calories, but I estimate that I probably eat around 2500 to a little over 3000 calories a day. Just enough to maintain my skinny self at 5'11" and 170 lbs. I usually eat a lot of Korean food....rice, kimchi, that sort of thing, along with chicken and 2% milk.

I used to smoke a bunch when I younger, but I finally managed to quit (for good, hopefully) back on new year's day of 2002. I used to binge drink on a weekly basis, but that wasn't doing anything for me, so I usually only drink socially now (a bottle or two every couple of weeks).

I'm back on my diet now after a back injury and no training for 4 weeks added about 5 kgs and 6-7% bodyfat.

6am 3 Weet bix+ Milk

9am Myoplex shake(EAS)+ Water

12pm Pasta/Chicken and rice+ Water

3pm C/cheese + Yoghurt and raisins

After workout Pasta/Chicken and rice+ Water with Creatine

Last meal Egg whites with 1 yolk Omlette or Protein shake

I don't count calories, But would guess around 2,500-3,000

One day a week is free day, usually Saturday with a cheesecake for breakfast(My favourite)

Mon,Weds.Friday I get up at 4.30am and do 20 mins of hard aerobics before work.

Been back on for 3 weeks and have lost about 2kgs, but body fat has dropped from 16% down to 12%, Want to get back below 10% and down below 80kgs.

When my diet is on and I have lots of water my strength and recovery is great.

I used to smoke alot when I was a teenager(not cigarettes) and was close to borderline alcoholic, only drink around christmas and birthdays now.

Edited by Kiwi Crusher

To stay lean, one definitely has to adopt a lifestyle change. Get rid of all processed foods. Get rid of starchy carbs.

Allow yourself one cheat day per week.

what bill said.

actually doing this got my body fat down to 8%, before my body fat was at 13%.

drink mostly water and milk. and just eat lots of lean meats, egg whites, fruits and veggies. use a protien powder and one day in the week to eat whatever i want, usually at this point i give toxic hell a visit.

stay strong!! :rock

When I was 198 and lean my day looked like this:

6AM oatmeal, 10 egg whites, water

9AM 1 Myoplex plus deluxe with water

12PM 1 can of tuna in springwater-plain, water

3PM 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, can of beans( highest proiten I could find),water

5PM pre workout- Phosphagan HP and supplements, Post workout 1 Myoplex plus deluxe,water

7PM 2 bonless, skinless chicken breasts, 1 plain baked sweet potato or yam,water

I also drank a 20 oz bottle of water at least every 30 minutes.

worked out every day and ran 3.3 miles every night.

Now at 275 I eat anything and drink tons of milk( my favorite drink also).

now that I work 3PM to 1AM my eating schedule is pretty messed up.

just started using kettlebells to work out again. need to start running again.

Running in my opinion is the best and fastest way to loose fat and stay lean if your eating right. worked for me.

Drinking & smoking is one of my habbits :tongue

Other than that I usually eat beef,chicken,port,rice,milk(drink?),and egg.

I hate fishes. In future if I close #4, will I be the first one to close #4 drinking & smoking?

I am 6’ 3’’ now at 275lbs. After a string of injuries my weight rocketed to 325

Mainly due from inactivity while healing. I live in Thailand where most of the food is pretty healthy. If I stick to Thai food, avoid their deep fried dishes and eat only a small portion of rice once a day my weight drops. Fortunately my wife is a good Thai cook. I have one alcoholic drink before dinner and a few beers with buddies every other Saturday.

Also take fish oil tabs and whey isolate.

I was assuming hydrogenation would saturate the fat by 'forcing' hydrogen into it and breaking the double carbon bond in the fat.

BTW, I sell pesticides, so health isn't my forte' anyway.

My understanding is that a saturated fats looks like this: C-C-C-C..., with every carbon containing a Hydrogen atom attached in the two empty spaces, while a mono unsaturated looks like this: C-C=C-C... The two carbons in the middle can only hold one hydrogen apiece, so it is not "fully saturated". Hydrogenation attempts to break the double carbon bond so that another hydrogen atom can be attached. That concludes my 'Reader's Digest' knowledge of biological chemistry. :erm

What I don't understand is what is the difference between a trans fat and a cis fat? :blush

Dumnorix,

Hydrogenation breaks the double bond in a cis fat that looks like this. There is no rotation across a double bond so the gap stays on one side.

In the following diagrams I had to add underscores between the Hs because the forum software compresses the gaps for some reason. The Hs are bonded to the carbon above or below them.

H_H_H_H _____________H_H_H_H

C-C=C-C and makes it into C-C-C-C

H_____H______________H_H_H_H

If you fully saturate the whole batch of fat then you end up with no trans fat at all, just saturates, but if you only partially hydrogenated a fat then the heating process involved "loosens" some of the double bonds for a very short period of time and when they cool down some of them get stuck like this.

H_H___H

C-C=C-C

H___H_H

And there you have a trans bond

Last I heard, it is still pretty unclear what trans fatty acids actually does in your body. They do take the place of natural essential acids but what the effects are rather unknown. You would guess it could be very dangerous since essential fatty acids is located in the very most important parts of the body, like in DNA structures of cells, hormones, the brain etc.

I talked about milk before, here is something else:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/096...7420532-2404636

Friday's is usually my cheat day. I have pizza and overall eat many more calories than typical (not junk food per say).

I like pulling a sled for cardio. You do take the hit on strength with cardio, but I am not competing anymore so it doesn't matter.

Don't get trapped into the "strength excuse" with respect to bodyfat levels when you get past 40. In other words, calling fat gain muscle gain or justifying bad eating habits and excess tissue because you are worried you might lose strength.

This is all extremely interesting!

What I find especially strange is how grip is so much different than anerboic and aerobic training.

For example, you could not expect to make maximum muscle/strength gains if your diet was pepsi and fruit roll-ups. And, you could not expect to maximize your aerobic potential if you smoked and drank. Drug use effects both. I am not saying you cannot make gains, you certainly can, but you wont MAXIMIZE gains.

With grip, it seems many eat what ever, whenever, some smoke (things besides cigs.) and some appear to drink heavy, yet they still make gains in grip.

Are they making maximized gains? can they reach their full potential in grip with these "habits"?

As for myself: I eat every 2 to 3 hours. I have protein with every meal, usually from chicken, tuna, egg whites, lean red meats, wild game, or whey shakes. I also have carbs with every meal either from brown rice, potatoes, yams, or pasta.

I drink 2-3 gallons of water every day. This is higher right now because of the heat and my activity level.

I dont smoke or dip/chew. I used to drink pretty heavy on the weekends but I have stopped that as well.

My current weight is around 210-I am trying to get down to 185-190. I run 2 miles every M/W/F, I swim 15-20 straight minutes 4 days a week and bike 1-2 hours 5 days a week. I train with weights 6 days a week, and I train my grip 6 days a week.

Because of my high activity level, when i want a cheat meal, I take it. This is usually nothing more then a piece of deer sausage on a roll, or using cheese on my burgers.

Rick Walker :rock

I love training in general and reading Rick's posts reminds me of how I am looking forward to one day in retirement doing more daily exercise of various kinds I just don't have time for now because of that dang thing called WORK! :D

I also want to add I think low carb dieting is the dumbest fashion to come along in years. If you eliminate your #1 source of calories, you can't possibly compinsate with enough calories from fat and protien and that's why you lose weight. Any diet that limits any food group is unbalanced, period.

Absolutely :bow I work at a hospital and it is just amazing how many physicians and nurses fail to grasp this simple concept.

I love training in general and reading Rick's posts reminds me of how I am looking forward to one day in retirement doing more daily exercise of various kinds I just don't have time for now because of that dang thing called WORK

:laugh

Well, I have a job interview coming up, and if I get it, it will be a hour commute both ways, as well as an 8 hour shift.

To prepare for that, I am trying to space my exercise around an 8 hour workday. I get up early to get my run in, then I do the other stuff in the evening. It is tough, but doable.

I love training in general and reading Rick's posts reminds me of how I am looking forward to one day in retirement doing more daily exercise of various kinds I just don't have time for now because of that dang thing called WORK

:laugh

Well, I have a job interview coming up, and if I get it, it will be a hour commute both ways, as well as an 8 hour shift.

To prepare for that, I am trying to space my exercise around an 8 hour workday. I get up early to get my run in, then I do the other stuff in the evening. It is tough, but doable.

My time out of work is filled up. Part of it due to this site. ;) So, more time would be generated by not working. :mosher

To stay on track with this thread....

Crappy carbs are one thing. Good carbs are another.

Fresh veggies and greens are good carbs.

To stay lean, one definitely has to adopt a lifestyle change.  Get rid of all processed foods.  Get rid of starchy carbs. 

Allow yourself one cheat day per week.

what bill said.

actually doing this got my body fat down to 8%, before my body fat was at 13%.

drink mostly water and milk. and just eat lots of lean meats, egg whites, fruits and veggies. use a protien powder and one day in the week to eat whatever i want, usually at this point i give toxic hell a visit.

stay strong!! :rock

I have been doing like Vince and Wanna said for about 12 months. I lost weight (18lbs) for about the first 8 months. I have lost a little weight the last 4 months (maybe 4 lbs) but my body is definitely starting to strip fat slowly. My eating is as follows:

Breakfast:

Old Fashioned Oatmeal with Strawberries

1oz High Lignan Flaxseed Oil

1/2oz Cod Liver Oil

4oz Tomato Juice

8:00 Snack

1 cup Puffed Kashi

10:00 Snack

5oz StarKist Tuna Creations Hickory Smoked

12:00 Lunch

5oz StarKist Tuna Creations Hickory Smoked

Big Salad (Spinach, Romaine Hearts, Tomato, Peas) with Oil/Vinegar Dressing

2:00 Snack

1 cup Puffed Kashi

Tea

4:00 Snack

40g Designer Whey Protein w/ water

6:00 Dinner

2 cups Vegtable

8-12oz lean meat

Also, I drink 1/2 - 1 gal of water each day along with some nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachios) scattered through the day.

I inconsistently pull my sled. Need to do better.

Fresh veggies and greens are both great food choices but with the exception of a few (corn, peas, potatoes) are generally considered carb free. For example, an entire cup of raw veggies or 1/2 cup of cooked veggies contains only 5 grams of carbs.

Back to my second question:

With grip, it seems many eat what ever, whenever, some smoke (things besides cigs.) and some appear to drink heavy, yet they still make gains in grip.

Are they making maximized gains? can they reach their full potential in grip with these "habits"?

What do you all think?

I love training in general and reading Rick's posts reminds me of how I am looking forward to one day in retirement doing more daily exercise of various kinds I just don't have time for now because of that dang thing called WORK! :D

:rock I see another Bill Pearl or Clarence Bass in the making.

I don't think that bad habits like this really make much difference at least in grip performance.

Several big-time olympic lifters smoke. I think that unless you drink/get high so much that it stops you from having intrest/intensity in your workouts then you would see very little performance impact. It will catch up with you later in life, after you've been smoking 20 some years, but in the short term I doubt there's any impact.

Of course, that's not necessarily the way you want to live your life.

Edited by AP

I think it is possible but at a MUCH slower rate. If you're missing workouts because you're hung over, it's only going to take you longer to reach your fullest potential if you get there at all. Even those that push themselves through workouts while hung-over aren't training as hard as they could be if they had proper rest and hydration. Same thing with nutrition, if you aren't getting the proper nutrients you won't be able to train as hard or recover as fast so you will not be reaching your fullest potential. I think people can still make plenty of gains in the grip world without proper nutrition or abstaining from partying and maybe even reach their fullest potential but instead of taking say 2 years to close the #4 it might take 10.

Edited by jad

Several big-time olympic lifters smoke.

I remember when I first started Judo, we hit a USJF promotional

in Baltimore and the South Korean team was there. Most of them were

smokers. Their performance was incredible. Very fearsome.

But I often wonder how they are now :unsure

T!

Fresh veggies and greens are both great food choices but with the exception of a few (corn, peas, potatoes) are generally considered carb free. For example, an entire cup of raw veggies or 1/2 cup of cooked veggies contains only 5 grams of carbs.

Very true. My bad. But, you most need less carbs then they take in.

Back to my second question:

What do you all think?

I think in any sport where the body is used, you maximize gains by maximizing all aspects of health.

You forgot one important one: SLEEP.