Diet And Nutrition

Rick Walker

Curious what everyone's thoughts are.

We obviously have some BIG boys here and some BIG eaters! Some gripters on this board go over 300, while others who are just as strong, are in the 160s.

So, who eats what?

How do you eat?

Do you think nutrition can have a positive or negative effect on grip?

what are your other habits like? Do you smoke? Drink? Other?

Thanks-

Rick Walker :rock

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Landon

• jad

• Bill Piche

• Patrik_F

Last year around this time I was between 5-6000cals a day, and weighed a solid 275. After a couple back surgeries I got into some habitual trouble with some pain killers and my diet went to piss making me lose a lot of weight. I'm just now getting my dumb ass back into things the way they should be again. 5-7 meals a day meeting between 4500-5k fairly clean cals.

I think nutrition is just as important for grip strength as it is for any other training. If your body feels like crap from not eating enough or good enough, there's no red or #4 in your future.

My only vice is good cigars :cool

Eat whenever I'm hungry, keep sugar, white flour, and cholesterol to a minimum, and have some sort of fresh fruit or vegetable and whole grain with every meal. Lots of lean meat, protein supplement, and vitamins. Anywhere from 2500-4000 calories a day, depending on what I'm doing. This seems to keep me full of energy, keep the gains coming, and keep the body fat from getting out of hand.

For overall health, one needs to assess nutrition and bodyfat levels. Fat will kill you as you get older...

I've never drank. Never smoked either.

I, like many other people, made a new years resolution in 2003 to lose some weight and actually followed through with it. I adopted a high protein, low carb lifestyle, worked out regularly, and went from 370 to 278 in about 8 months. Talk about a drastic change! Then I started slipping because I got bored with the low carb food choices and crept back up to where I started at 370. At some point, I just gave up eating right and ate whatever. It would not be uncommon for me to go *weeks* without eating a real meal - I ate breakfast at the gas station, fast food for lunch, and junk food for dinner with a couple sandwiches for a bed time snack. No wonder I gained it back so fast! When gaining weight, my bench increased but other lifts did not. I don't think my grip work was affected by the weight gain or loss, since I was still making strength gains.

The wife and I have vowed to start taking our health more seriously and have been eating better, taking brisk walks in the evenings (I sometimes bring my dexterity balls to spin along the way), and generally get back into better shape. The added weight gain has really hindered my ability to throw in the scottish games because while I may have a better technique, having to move 370lbs + a 56lb weight around is difficult.

I've never smoked anything, but I do enjoy the occasional drink in social situations. When I was at the AOBS dinner, I didn't eat much all day and had a couple drinks, so when it was time to start tearing cards again, I got a big cramp along both sides of my obliques which let me know I was suffering from poor nutrition that night.

Another input...

To stay lean, one definitely has to adopt a lifestyle change. Get rid of all processed foods. Get rid of starchy carbs.

Allow yourself one cheat day per week.

ive lost some lately, now at about 250ish. ill eat whater is put in front of me. favorites are hot dogs/hamburgers. i normally only eat supper, but when i eat, i make up for not eatin all day. its not unusual for me to eat 10-12 dogs from the drive-in, or 10 cheesebrurgers from Mcdonalds in a sitting.ill eat 1/2gal. ice cream a day if i got it in the house. ill drink a gallon of milk a day just about every day. its my favorite drink.

i only drink beer occasionally, never smoked, but do chew/dip constantly. i would bet my eatin habits are some of the worst on the board.i could do better, but.......... maybe tommorrow?? :)

my nutrition is kind of wierd.....i take protein supplements , fish oil, a multi vitamin, Glucosamine Chondrotin, and garlic pills daily. i eat mostly lean meat, with plenty of vegtables and apples thrown in. one of my favorite meals must be very lean steak tips with steamed brocoli. sorry if i didnt spell that right. im very big for my age, at 220-225, but my fat started to get out of hand. i resorted to combat conditioing after my lifting. one of my favorite things must be jump roping and hill sprints. anyone tried these?

my nutrition is kind of wierd.....i take protein supplements , fish oil, a multi vitamin, Glucosamine Chondrotin, and garlic pills daily. i eat mostly lean meat, with plenty of vegtables and apples thrown in. one of my favorite meals must be very lean steak tips with steamed brocoli. sorry if i didnt spell that right. im very big for my age, at 220-225, but my fat started to get out of hand. i resorted to combat conditioing after my lifting. one of my favorite things must be jump roping and hill sprints. anyone tried these?

ps-almost forgot....i usually drink a quart of milk or more a day and close to a gallon of water.

ive lost some lately, now at about 250ish. ill eat whater is put in front of me. favorites are hot dogs/hamburgers. i normally only eat supper, but when i eat, i make up for not eatin all day. its not unusual for me to eat 10-12 dogs from the drive-in, or 10 cheesebrurgers from Mcdonalds in a sitting.ill eat 1/2gal. ice cream a day if i got it in the house. ill drink a gallon of milk a day just about every day. its my favorite drink.

i only drink beer occasionally, never smoked, but do chew/dip constantly. i would bet my eatin habits are some of the worst on the board.i could do better, but.......... maybe tommorrow?? :)

You lost some lately.... Then your wife must be keeping the ice cream hidden if that is how you eat. :D

I eat very little meat, some chicken and occasionally fish. The main part of my diet is non fat milk. I eat 3 eggs a day and maybe 5 slices of bread. No sugar no butter or margarine. No desserts no candy. Rice potatos and a few vegetables. For snacks I eat a lot of apples and grapefruits with some bananas. Once a week I cheat and eat a few chocolate chip cookies with milk that day and nothing else. Many days I eat only one meal. My weight is 260 to 280. I am anything but a hardgainer.

I'm 17, 230 lbs

I eat whenever I'm hungry, tons of meat, lots of whole grains, some vegetables, and lots of junk. I drink tons of milk and water.

My weight fluctuates(sp?) a lot, from 180-230, depending on whether food is around (right now I've got food so I'm at 230).

I slowed down on coffee and cigarettes because they're bad for circulation, but I still do other stuff, none of which seems to hurt grip strength. I have no phsyical addictions because I moderate everything.

Nutrition probably has an effect on grip but not much because I can still gain grip strength when I don't have good food.

My caloric intake varies with the time of year. When I am guiding and hiking during the summer I am around 2500-3500 per day. Mostly protein bars, sandwiches made with multi-grain bread and lean lunch meat, and some kind of fresh fish or hamburger for dinner.

During the school year I am at 2000-2500 when my schedule is regular I will eat small meals every 80 minutes while the students are coming into class. This helps a great deal beacuse when wrestling season starts I am eating a lot more because I do all their workouts with them.

Rick, I can notice when my food intake turns to crap my overall strength is not there and that filters down to my grip training.

I take a daily multi vitamin and I haven't put table salt on anything since 1994. I will drink a 1/2 gallon of milk a day and 1 gallon+ of water a day also. Water has affected my overall fitness more than food to my recollection.

I am 6'1" 200lbs and try to always maintain 180-200 grams of protein everyday regardless of what my other food intake is.

My two cents,

-SMP

Carb cycling when cutting weight.

Normally, lean cuts of red meat, chicken, etc

Carbohydrates are always low-gi (veggies, oats, etc) and pre/during and pwo are high-gi

Fats are from meats, oils, eggs, etc

Antioxidants are from blueberries mainly and other assortments of berries

Keep calories higher on ME days, slightly lower on DE days, and little lower on rest days. Keep insulin spikes to a minimal during the day.

Supp w/ whey/dex/creat/vit e/vit c post workout

Supp w/ bcaa blend (ICE) pre/during workout

Also 3-4 grams of epa/dha

50mg of CoQ10

ZMA @ night

Nootropic blend when reading usually.

Occasionally on ME days, I'll take a shot of apple cidar vinegar before my pwo drink to raise insulin sensitivity

btw, eating cholesterol doesn't raise your cholesterol.

At work I have more food in my desk drawers than I do work stuff. Work days food is always the same: Milk, oatmeal and egg whites for breakfast. Fruit & beef jerky at 10am. Leftovers or Subway/Chik-fil-A for lunch. Fruit & protein bar at 2pm. Dinner could be anything and there's usually a blender bomb (frozen banannas, berries, milk, PB & whey) thrown in sometime in the evening as well.

Weekends are a lot more lax. Whatever I feel like. Usually stop off at a all-u-can-eat buffet at least once. I don't pay too much attention to my diet unless I'm getting uncomfortable with the flab. When I start getting around 250 it's time to back off a bit. I'll cut out bad foods before alcohol, but I don't drink on work nights or if I'm training the next day.

Never liked drinking, smoked a little before but never got addicted.

I eat lots of whole grain products, any meat I can afford, eggs, pistachio nuts sometimes, bananas, fruit juices, soy milk, natural oils. I use whey protein too. I take a vitamin/mineral pill and some extra vitamin C.

I used to drink lots of milk before but I don't do it anymore since it contains lots of hormones, especially IGF-1 growth hormone. That sort of explains why people tend to gain weight when drinking milk, it's a natural weight gainer.

I'm a junk food addict! Next to grip equipment I would have to say that the budget for fast food is my biggest expense in the year :stuart

That being said, I am quite proud of myself as I haven't had any fastfood this week.

One small step at a time as they say

Jon@han

My best gains were made when my food was approx:

breakfast - cereal or waffle/pancakes w/toast orange juice

10am - 2 PBJ sand w/quart milk

1230 - Subway sub or equivalent

3 - two Ensure drinks or equivalent (gma would get me whatever at grocery store)

4 - workout, gatorade during/after

post workout - milk, banana, yogurt blending together

dinner - whatever gma cooked, typical southern stuff

8 - glass milk and fruit

10 - bowl cereal, raisin bran whatever

I was recovering better and was up to a fairly lean 230. Now I'm 220 and fatter. Damnit. I was 18 and a student, perfect conditions. Now I'm 25 and have to pay bills, not so good. Oh well. I really need to eat more protein and drink more water. I can definitely feel it when I drink more water, recover better.

I'm glad you posted this Rick, I was just getting ready to post about positive nitrogen balance. I think a protein drink thrown in @ 3pm and before dinner would help me alot in the recovery department. Then normal meals @ 8am, noon, and 6pm. Plus hot showers, walking in the evenings (get dogs!) and lots of agua...

I've thought a lot more about the health aspects of diet and my training since retirement. I've always been tall and lean with low bodyfat without any effort and tried to gain weight for most of my life. Walking 6 hours a day on the mailroute no doubt helped a lot. I find it's harder to eat well now than when working; simply because I have no real structute to my day like when working. I normally eat 4 to 5 times a day now versus 6 to 7 times a day before. Before I had this automatic aerobic workout each day, now I have to make sure I plan some sort of aerobic conditioning into the day. I eat pretty clean, lots of good natural foods, plus basic supplements, multi vit and mineral, fish, flax or Udos choice oil, protein mix and creatine before meets for 6 - 8 weeks. My bodyfat is up to 11-12% from 9 to 10 before, strength is up some but strength per pound seems down a little. I had really good blood work last time, so between genetics, diet and work outs; something must be going right.

Dave, no one can eat 12 dogs or 10 hamburgers at one sitting. Rule #4 lock this thing down! HEHEHEHE ;)

Dave, no one can eat 12 dogs or 10 hamburgers at one sitting. Rule #4 lock this thing down! HEHEHEHE ;)

HA! We want video proof!

Dave: Your schedule is a lot like The Warrior Diet book I just ordered from dragondoor.com. Fast during the day, and eat all you want at night. Maybe you should have your lawyers contact them :D

As for myself, I try not to eat anything except refined carbohydrates and TRANS FATS. Partially hydrogenated oils, shortning, and other solidified oils raise bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol. The fat, which your body assumes is a straight saturated fat, is actually a 'crooked' fat. Your body then uses the crooked fat where a straight one belongs, and the result has been compared to dropping sand into a Swiss watch. Eat too much saturated fat, and your body will convert it into a 'good' fat. Eat too many trans fats, and your body cannot convert them to anything.

Oh yeah, I am 22 years old, 157 lbs, and have a 31" waist. Being an Ectomorph sucks when strength is your game. :angry:

Oh yeah, I am 22 years old, 157 lbs, and have a 31" waist. Being an Ectomorph sucks when strength is your game. :angry:

Don't worry about it man, I was 6'1" 135 lbs when I started training. Hammerhead knew me then, and will be happy tell you what a runt I was. Keep busting your ass and you can conquer the heavy stuff just as good as any meso or endo.

As for myself, I try not to eat anything except refined carbohydrates and TRANS FATS. Partially hydrogenated oils, shortning, and other solidified oils raise bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol. The fat, which your body assumes is a straight saturated fat, is actually a 'crooked' fat. Your body then uses the crooked fat where a straight one belongs, and the result has been compared to dropping sand into a Swiss watch. Eat too much saturated fat, and your body will convert it into a 'good' fat. Eat too many trans fats, and your body cannot convert them to anything.

Your understanding of trans fats is a little off.

Saturated fats can't be trans fats because a trans fat has to have an unsaturated double bond to be "trans"

A trans fat is a mon or poly unsaturated fat that has been modified through hydrogenation or overheating. The body tries to use them where it would use an essential fatty acid but the trans fat gets stuck in the receptor and makes a mess of the metabolism.

Also the body cannot change a saturated fat into a mono or poly essential fatty acid (thus why they are considered essential to consume). It can process it for energy or store it as bodyfat.

Not trying to be picky, just want to make sure people get good info.

As to how I would know, I have the misfortune to be the industrial chemist and quality control lab guy at a factory that manufactures margarine and bakery fats :whistel

17, 160 pounds

I'm always pursuing a greater understanding of physical health and my most recent study has been in this book called Super Foods I loaned from my Aunt. Good solid, straightforward, nutritional advice. I know a thing or two about this stuff so I'm not lapping up any propaganda this book may or may not be pushing. I'll list the superfoods for you:

Beans

Blueberies

Broccoli

Oats

Oranges

Pumkin

Soy

Tea

Tomatoes

Turkey

Walnuts

Yogurt

Salmon

Spiniache

I really hate fish and don't ever see much salmon but other than that I try to eat these foods when I have the opportunity. I always used to hate tea, started drinking it just because it's good, same with the oatmeal you have to cook. Now I can drink unsweetened green tea and have oatmeal everyday. I drink alot of milk and I really like cereal. Because I do a good job of getting alot of healthy foods in my diet and cut down on bad snacks, I don't really worry about calories.

I also want to add I think low carb dieting is the dumbest fashion to come along in years. If you eliminate your #1 source of calories, you can't possibly compinsate with enough calories from fat and protien and that's why you lose weight. Any diet that limits any food group is unbalanced, period.