Hammer Levering Question

supersqueeze

All you overhead hammer levering aficionatos out there, what is the full range of motion for this lift? I am curious about both starting and ending positions. Also, if known, what was the range of motion of The Hammer Man's world record lift?

Thanks,

Mike

I do not know of a set of rules for this lift, it is not contested in contests that I know of.  Slim takes the handles from perpendicular to the ground to basically parallel to the ground (maybe a bit of an angle at the end).  His range of motion would be about 85-degrees.  There is a picture of him doing this in the first Milo and in the Mighty Atom book and he looks like he is slightly above parallel, maybe about 85-degrees from perpendicular.  It is also very critical that the hands remain fairly high; otherwise the angle is not severe.  Just having the hammerhead hovering above your head it not enough if you hand is down at waist level.  The torque in that instance would be substantially less than if you hand is at the level of your head.  This can be proven mathematically, but I don't want to bore you with the details (See my siteHERE, below the picture of the hammer lever for the math).

Thanks, this clears things up a bit. I was of the belief that the hammers started on the ground, were leavered up at full arms length for a range of about 180-200 degrees (floor to face) and then returned to the ground.

Mike

I’m not entirely clear how he gets them off the floor, but I’ve been told that he has a board on which the handle rests near the bottom.  He then pushes down, using the board as a fulcrum.  They are not levered from the floor in the weaver stick sense.  He would be lifting twice the world record compared to the weaver stick records!  The main part of the lift is as I described above.  I hope this clarifies this more.  I've tried this method to start the hammer lift and it works, it is not difficult at all, even with very heavy hammers.  The hard part of the lift is as described above.