I Folded My First Red Today

strongmitts

There is no "incorrect" way of bending a nail unless the bend conforms to a set of rules. These are usually in place for the purpose of competition or certification. The recent surge in bending popularity may have had its origin in my friend Arne Persson, who was the one who wanted bending to take the place of wrist event in the European Championship, replacing plate curls and the (hopelessly difficult to judge) table top wrist curl and (utterly boring) weaver stick. Soon afterwards David Horne started to offer challenge bars and everyone (well almost) started bending steel (besides those that had already done so for a while). The Holle brothers technique (by the look of it) was adopted by gripboard members and perfected by Eric the Red. I tried it myself and concluded that it was very effective, in part, because it placed less emphasis on wrist strength (I have weak wrists,relatively speaking). This is obviously of some concern from an allround grip strength competition point of view as we wanted bending to be,at least to a considerable degree, a wrist event. However, if everyone is happy folding nails (=applying full compressional force straight into the ends of the bar at the start of the bend), then it is obviously pointless for me trying to ban the overhand style in competions in which I am involved organising. I am still happy to include bending as a wrist event as it is very popular.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• BJones

• strongmitts

• OldGuy

Mikael,

Thank you for the thorough reply - I had gathered from other posts that your interest in the bending vs. folding was the competition aspect.

I have also been involved in choosing events for other types of competition and agree that judging an event can be a nightmare.

And I would add that bending would be a very difficult event to include as a test of wrist strength - now as a test of overall upperbody strength - bending is great.

But whatever force your upper body produces must be transfered through your wrists and grip to the nail. Impossible to separtate the two.

Personally - my current goal is the RED and I am close.

Thanks

Brett

BTW - have you switched over to double overhand?

Great bend my friend! Great bend! Just goes to show you don't need a strong chest to bend one. Just a big heart, and you my friend have a big heart.

Bravo!

Great bend my friend! Great bend! Just goes to show you don't need a strong chest to bend one. Just a big heart, and you my friend have a big heart.

Bravo!

It would be impossible to start a bend double overhand with what Brookfield described as folding a nail, without the extensive use of the pectoral muscles. I think Rick tried this style (with his recently torn pec.) and instantly realised this to be the case. The strain may just be less than during a benchpress.

Why wasn't my post locked?! Was it because I folded it? or maybe it's that I'm such a credible source? :laugh:laugh