I Folded My First Red Today

strongmitts

I'd like to say "thanks" to the GripBoard (for a constant source of motivation, and encouragement), my fiance (for supporting my gripping), Eric (for the first class bending advice, motivation, and various stock), Weldon (for encouragement, awesome grip togethers, and some perfect brass stock between the 267.5 K and the red), and all the other red benders that preceeded me for letting me know it is indeed possible. Thanks!! :rock:rock

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikael Siversson

• BJones

• strongmitts

• OldGuy

Congratulations, another world class bender/folder on the board.

Now an account of how it went down, literally. I came home today, and decided to bend although it was not a regularly scheduled bending day. I am a very regimented individual, (unlike me to perform workouts on days that aren't normally scheduled) but today I just had a feeling I needed to bend. Well, I warmed up and felt pretty good, so I decided to try the red. I wrapped it up carefully and slowly applied pressure, to my suprise I kinked it about an inch. Then I re-gripped and took it to about 90 degrees, then I re-gripped tightly and went a little past 90 degree. Next I performed the one handed crush Eric showed me (as I described before) with a little torque, and got some slight movement. Finally I interlocked my fingers and chest crushed it down to the gripper phase. I then finished with a right hand crush and a left hand push. This all went down in probably about 45 seconds. I still really can't believe I did it! I'm telling you guys, if I did this, then anybody can. Eric says he's not a freak, but he really is. I'm the farthest thing from a freak/natural out there. Also, I might mention I did this about 12 months post pec tear, with my best bench being 220X3 recently (my previous best being 402lbs w/a single ply poly).

If only you had bent it. Expect a visit from the GBI. The Grip Bureau of Investigation.

They've already been here! Came crashing in the windows and kicked down the door. It has been established by the GBI that it was in fact a "fold" and not a legitimate bend. Dang..........they must have tapped my phone! I knew I shouldn't have talked to Eric.

The GBI is also known to confiscate any bending rags exceeding 8 inches in length. Folders beware!!!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with folding (as long as we are aware of that it is less of a test of wrist strength than the underhand/old Terminator way of starting the bend) as it is probably the best way of turning a red into a U-shape. Once again, however, the technique will cause a change in the IM rules for certification, so this may be of some concern for future red nail folders. Congratulations anyway, as it is still a pretty good display of hand/wrist/upper body strength. :rock

Once again, however, the technique will cause a change in the IM rules for certification, so this may be of some concern for future red nail folders.

I agree 100%. I emailed Strossen about it when he changed the gripper rules and he never would come out and give me a straight answer. Once the Red list really starts growing the rules will change...again.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=8693&st=40

Bill Piche asked the same question not too long ago.

Will this have to be added to the FAQ?

Nice work strongmitts, you don't need to be a natural to excell, just be a worker. :cool

Nothing wrong with folding (as long as we are aware of that it is less of a test of wrist strength than the underhand/old Terminator way of starting the bend) as it is probably the best way of turning a red into a U-shape. Once again, however, the technique will cause a change in the IM rules for certification, so this may be of some concern for future red nail folders. Congratulations anyway, as it is still a pretty good display of hand/wrist/upper body strength.  :rock

Come on Mikael, jump on the folding band wagon, everyone's doing it. :laugh

I'm sitting here studying anatomy and drinking an ice cold beer, and I can't keep the smile off my face. I bent a freaking red today!

There is I believe a direct correlation between the number of grippers in a concentrated area and grip performance. The Diesel Crew, the Minnesota Crew, and now us down in Texas. We spur each other on to greatness. I am proud to call Eric and Chris my friends and training partners. Congrats to you amigo! You and Eric certainly are pushing me on to start bending again!

Cheers!

Weldon

You are the man. Great job.

-Jedd-

Maybe the normal size red will become like a #3 is now. With enough knowlege exchange on this forum, and the more guys bending, it just might happen. I am torn on whether to close this per Rule #4. ;)

Excellent work man! Geez, you're making me want to break my vows and bend something!

That's been my theory for a while (Red=#3). Go back 5 years and the #3 was still pretty much a world class accomplishment. Now it's just a benchmark of a good gripster. I think I made a thread a while back proposing that the Red=3, and that a guy has to go cut red to =#4. At this point I'll call the 5" Red a #4, and I think we'll see that go down within the next 6 months. (just a hunch)

Maybe the normal size red will become like a #3 is now. With enough knowlege exchange on this forum, and the more guys bending, it just might happen. I am torn on whether to close this per Rule #4.

He did not claim to have also bent it within the time limit, and to have fully bent it, so it doesn't quite warrant locking. Also he did say fold, not to be confused with bend, crease, or even kink! :whistel

Awesome, Chris! :rock

In a way, Chris shouldn't have bent the Red today. He failed with a grd 8 last week, and in fact has never bent one. His bench press is currently less than mine. His pec is still healing. I could go on. But gosh darn it, he DID IT!!!

There's a fire under my butt now!

Also, about this whole "problem" of the possibility of Randy changing the rules again: there was a day when a sub four minute mile seemed impossible. It was broken, and others soon followed, making this mark the standard for a world class performance. But after the "unbreakable barrier" was broken, runners continued to push the envelope to where we are today: where a four minute mile is going to leave you at the back of the pack in a world class race. But we didn't change the rules and require that athletes run with their hands behind their backs. So instead of changing the rules of performance, in which case Randy would have some explaining to do to Gavin for allowing his "crush" bend of the Red for certification, why not make tougher bars to bend. Simply put, the standard of world class is being raised. This is not a problem. It is reason for CELEBRATION! Some guys have been bustin their butts with the steel, and using their noggins for improving techniques and training regimens. So go figure, the Red Nail list is growing.