Morgan's Grip Log

maidenfan

Morgan, I just watched your video. I'm not saying my form with snatches is that great and you are heck of a lot stronger than I am, but here's my suggestion based on what I found very helpful (helped me to get one arm snatch with 50 kg kbell). You could try to do snatches with preswings, that should help you to get your hips more involved and to get that hip action more explosive.

I do recommend pairing up those 32kg and 40kg kbells, I found it to be surprisingly heavy training when I got a pair for my 34 kg kbell.

Great job with that rock!

Nice Kettle Bell Work Morgan.

Did you yet try juggling KBs?

Morgan

Stan Pyke at www.intensefitness.co.uk makes the best kettlebells bar none up tp 85kilos and any handle thickness.

Teemu - will do - I think thats a good idea.

Franky - I've messed around with some flipping hand to hand and a few things off the diesel site - not very good though. Theres a vid or two of that a few posts up in my journal.

I know Stan makes awesome stuff, but the shipping is bad enough already, cant imagine what it would be from the UK.

Hah, I just want you to get a heavier kettlebell so I can see some even freakier stuff. I've not had the chance to play with paired KBs yet. I decided I'm going to focus on single kettlebells for a long while before getting in to pairs. Otherwise, I'll go overboard trying to collect them all.

The only other place I've seen with kettlebells heavier than 40kg is new york barbells, they go up to 100lbs:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0350wh.html

I haven't heard much about the NYB ones either way. Probably not as nice as dragon door. I know dragon door is expecting heavier russian reds in the late fall of this year, not sure what weight they plan on going up to though.

The pinky clean and press looked really painful. I thought that DVD set had everything, but Cotter is coming out with a second encyclopedia. There's a thread about it on the dragon door forums, with pre orders for $90. I decided I'm going to need awhile to learn what's on Cotter's first DVD set before I even think about that one.

Same here Scott, it'll take me a few months to get through the first dvd's. I'd like to buy a big kettlebell, but the cost is very high. I can pair up my 32kg and 40kg bells (powermax bells thru gillathletics) for about the same cost at one 48kg bell from dragondoor. I'm going to have to sell some stuff to get a big one.

08/15/06

Formulator - (flex) 35x10, 60x13 (ext) 35x8

4way Neck (bands) - Greenx30s, Green+1/2G x 30s

Neck Rotations (bands) - Green x several ea way

Sledgehammer Tire Striking (~1 min rest between rounds)

12lb x 10 ea side

16 x 10 "

30 x 10 "

30 x 10 "

30 x 10 "

30 x 10 "

30 x 10 "

30 x 10 " (hands at end entire set)

08/17/06

Reverse Band Bench Press (start fm bottom off pins) - 135x5, 225x8, 315x5, 405x1, 455xFail, 405x5

CSR Row - 135x8, 180x8, 225x5

Various KB swings

Grippers (no set) - #2x1, #3x3+3 narrow misses (right only), #3x1, #3 straphold IM large pin+5lbs (ironmind strap) right only

My workouts are getting really stale - I'm pretty sure the 3 day a week, whole body routine is getting to me. I'm going to take a few days off and go back to my standby, one day legs, one day pressing and one day pulling. I have no idea how I'm going to incorporate the KB's and sledgehammer striking. I broke out the grippers and had a little fun today - was still able to crush my #3 pretty good even tho I havent trained grippers since the grippermania cert.

Wow, that was an annyoing easy looking close. :bow

Your videos are great Morgan, I really appreciate watching them. :mosher

Some questions:

Whats you all-time best on the RH from Clay?

Whats your best in the 1-Arm snatch (on a DB, any handle)

Did you ever try bending?

Thanks.

Wow, that was an annyoing easy looking close. :bow

Your videos are great Morgan, I really appreciate watching them. :mosher

Some questions:

Whats you all-time best on the RH from Clay?

Whats your best in the 1-Arm snatch (on a DB, any handle)

Did you ever try bending?

Thanks.

Havent used Clay's handle in a long time - iirc, it was in the 180s when I did. I remember Clay saying 200lbs was an awesome lift on that handle - I think he's right. I think I'll start using it instead of the RT as its a more precise way to measure progress.

That was my best as I'd never tried it with a DB before. I tried it once before w/a BB and did a very sloppy (like the DB video) 135.

I got into bending a year or two ago and worked up to a 60d/IM blue. I bruised my thumb pad which took six months to heal - havent done anything serious since. I only bent dbl underhand - never tried anything else.

I switch up my training all the time - I'm very unreliable with sticking to a program for long periods of time - I get lazy and bored. My latest fad is kettlebells and sledgehammers. I'm making myself a 100lb (or so) sledge now - it'll be fun trying to swing that thing around. I like the kettlebells as they add an athletic/gpp aspect to my training which I need greatly.

I switch up my training all the time - I'm very unreliable with sticking to a program for long periods of time - I get lazy and bored.

Yes, same problem here.

Thats the reason I try to attend as many contests as possible which garantees an 'ok' all-around strength.

If I signed up for a contest I train my arse off.

Thats cool Franky - there isnt too much in my area for grip stuff, or I'd probably train grip more. Over the last year or so my grip specific training has really tapered off. I just try to incorporate some thickbar and such into my normal workouts now. Once in a while I'll have my own little grip competion (pretty sad huh?) to see where I stand.

Mon 08/21/06 BW 283

IM Hip Belt Squat - 115x10, 135x8, 155x4

BB Lunge/Step-Up - 45x8, 45x8

GHR - Body x 10

Grippers (TNS) - Tx1, #1x1, #2x1, #3x1 (barely miss left), #4xHard Squeeze

Formulator - (flex) 35x10, 60x10, (ext) 35x7

A few KB swings

Short workout. My back is sore from packing a new 240lb river rock I picked up out in the forest the other day. Formulator is getting stale, gonna have to switch to something else for a while. The lunge/step-ups are an excellent exercise - my quads are still sore today (8/23).

08/23/06 BW - 281

Reverse Band Log Bench (start fm bottom/green bands) - 165x5, 255x5, 345x5, 435x5

River Rock Clean & Press - 190x1

One arm BB Snatch - 95x1

Seated Log Press (start seated, roll log from lap to start position) - 75x5, 165x3, 215x4, 235x1, 255xFail, 215x1

Dips - Body x 10

Sledgehammer Tire Strikes - 100lb x 3 ea side, 100x3, 100x2, 30x10 (hands at end)

Sledgehammer Wrist Rolls - 100lb x 6 ea way (lay hammer flat on tire, roll side to side around top of tire)

Not a bad workout - not great. Getting the log to the start position while seated was quite a chore - felt weak pressing. My left shoulder is tweaked so I'm going to keep my pressing palms turned in for a while. The 30lb slede felt light as hell after swinging the 100lber

That hammer looks like fun. I'm gonna be in Oregon soon can I come play too?

- Aaron

That hammer looks like fun. I'm gonna be in Oregon soon can I come play too?

- Aaron

Absolutely! Iirc, you were a thrower - if so I've got a nice 28lb shotput for you :blink Seriously, your more than welcome to stop by if you're ever in the Portland area. It'll give me a reason to clean up my pit of a gym.

Edited by maidenfan

Looks like a good amont of cardio also. :blink

Looks like a good amont of cardio also. :blink

When I watched that video, I was also thinking that you probably won't have to do that long to get your heart rate sky high! I liked that, now, I just have to get a tire from somewhere and steal a sledge from Thor himself... oh yeah I forgot that Morgan already did that.. :D

I found a piece of roundstock in my shop that weighs about 45lbs, which should be a perfect weight for now. Gonna use 1.5" thick-walled pipe this time for the handle this time. I also contacted Line-X (spray on bedliner company) and they told me they'd spray the hammers for about $25 or so.

08/25/06

AA DL (DO) - 140x3, 230x2, 320x1, 430xknees

Pull-ups - 8, 5, 4

Cinder Block Pinching (2x38lb blocks) - 76x1, 76x1, CleanxFail, CleanxAlmost

Blobs - 50x1, 50x1 (15sec hold right/5sec left), 50x1 (20sec hold right/5sec left)

CSR Row - 180x8, 180x8, 180x8

Good pinch workout today - loaded 30 blocks at Home Depot today pinch style - great workout. The cinder block cleans were fun - the blocks really force you to pinch hard when they're upside down. The AA DL's felt good, I thought I could've nailed that 430, maybe next time.

Great stuff Morgan!! Let alone the AA DL ,but a 20 sec. hold with a 50 lb. blob! Dang! That's strong!

Wooohooo!

That A.A. DO attempt was mighty impressive. :bow

If you get 440lb this year I'll send you a can of fine german beer.

GO, Morgan!!!!!

Wooohooo!

That A.A. DO attempt was mighty impressive. :bow

If you get 440lb this year I'll send you a can of fine german beer.

GO, Morgan!!!!!

Wow - I may hold you to that Franky. $5.00 beer + $30.00 shipping :blink

08/28/06 BW-281

Safety Squat Bar Lunge/Step-up - 65x8, 65x8, 65x8

superset with

GHR - Body x 10, Bx10, Bx10

Grippers (no set) - T thru #3 x 1, RB330 x 2 hard squeezes

Safety Squat Bar Wrist Curls (set in J-hooks of rack, grab bar and twist) -

Flex - 10x8, 10x8

Ext - Bar x 10, Bar x 10

The SSB wrist curls were pretty cool. Bar is set in J-hooks of rack about chest high - simply grab the bar and flex/ext. The bar is cambered so it makes it quite difficult - very little weight needed and my forearms are fried.

Tues 08/29/06 BW-281

Log Bench w/mini bands (start fm bottom) - 165x8, 255x3, 345x4

CSR Row - 180x8, 180x8, 180x8

Dips - Body x 8, +24kg x 8, +32kg x 8, +40kg x 5

2.5" Bar Pull-ups - Body x 4 (shoulder sore)

2.5" Bar Chins - Body x 2, Bx1, Bx2

Log bench felt really good. The 2.5" bar chins REALLY blasted my thumbs - this is a great exercise.