Morgan's Grip Log

maidenfan

03/12/13

AM - 1350 yards of swimming intervals

PM - 1hr 52mins on the mtn bike (including 15 miles of hill intervals at Mt. Tabor)

3/13/13

Rest day - 1 hr of walking

3/14/13

2400 yards of swimming intervals & 10 mins of treading water

45 mins of walking

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, talk about resurrecting a dead thread ;) Currently training to compete in the 2K indoor race at the world police and fire games in DC this July. Not much grip at all lately as I seem to be very susceptible to elbow tendonitis in my old age. Lots of rowing, skierg, some swimming and lately, squatting. All I can say about rowing is that it's the most challenging thing mentally that I've ever done, which is why it's good for me.

Wow, talk about resurrecting a dead thread ;) Currently training to compete in the 2K indoor race at the world police and fire games in DC this July. Not much grip at all lately as I seem to be very susceptible to elbow tendonitis in my old age. Lots of rowing, skierg, some swimming and lately, squatting. All I can say about rowing is that it's the most challenging thing mentally that I've ever done, which is why it's good for me.

I've recently started a little light rowing to maintain some cardio health (and it's fun). What kind of of time are you shooting for in the 2000, Morgan?

I've recently started a little light rowing to maintain some cardio health (and it's fun). What kind of of time are you shooting for in the 2000, Morgan?

Eric - Morgans erg times are .....well........fast as h...

My current best is 6:18. I've got eight weeks left, so I'm hoping to do 6:15 or a bit better. The second day I'm pairing up with an Aussie to run the doubles 1000m (500ea for a combed time). Fortunately for me, erging favors big lugs like me. Big, fit guys like Andrew D and others would do very well.

Chris was right. You're incredibly fast! You are almost maintaining my 500 pace for four times the distance! Well, good luck in July. Let us know how you do.

Chris was right. You're incredibly fast! You are almost maintaining my 500 pace for four times the distance! Well, good luck in July. Let us know how you do.

There are some incredibly fit and mentally strong people in the rowing world. Just recently, a Canadian set the full marathon record (42,000m and change), averaging a 1:41 pace for 2hrs 20 some minutes.

There are some incredibly fit and mentally strong people in the rowing world. Just recently, a Canadian set the full marathon record (42,000m and change), averaging a 1:41 pace for 2hrs 20 some minutes.

Good lord.

I never knew indoor rowing was a sport until my step-dad mentioned it recently. He's been a long distance runner and avid rower on the Colorado River down in Austin for decades. I knew about rowing machines but never gave them a second thought until he convinced me to try it out. Unlike treadmills and stationary bikes, I actually find it fun! I like the full body aspect.

Yeah, it's quite popular, especially in Europe and the UK (over 1/2 million sold in UK).

4/29/15

Bench press - warmup to 185x5, put on sling shot, 225x5, 275x5, 295x3, 225x10 (narrow), 225x9n, 225x9n

Couple miles of walking

Squat 245x20, then a lot planned on the rower. Ended up with a 500m, 1'r, 1000m in 4:45.4 (1:35.1), 132df, 33sm. Was happy with the squats, but no so with the rowing - felt gassed and still not quite over being sick.

Bench press and a strapless 10k in 36:57.8, df 120. 25sm. Been sick the last week or so and was starting to get depressed about training and how I felt. Decided to do an easy, strapless 10k that was finished with a better effort the last bit. Felt pretty good afterwards.

20x1'on/1'off - skierg - max drag, 20sm, 5332m. Good workout - great machine.

Gone are the days of strict pressing that huge sandbag for reps (was it 200#x5 or 250#x5 ??), TNSing those awesome grippers, and suitcase deadlifting 275# per hand on barbells.

Now you are a rower! Hope all is well :)

Nice to see you again, Arturo. As I've gotten older, I've realized that carrying 250+lbs into my later years is not a wise decision.

Thanks Morgan, nice seeing you back at it too. And just to clear things up: anyone who followed your log already knew you had a different perspective last time you were logging too (prior to this), as I remember reading a ton about bodyweight stuff (handstand stuff, pull-ups, etc.) and you were also sometimes logging your meals if I remember correctly, so we all knew you weren't striving for the "HYUGE!" thing anymore :)

I realized the same thing without getting too old yet (I'm 31) or even too big, but just from observing many others I also reached very similar conclusions.

That said.... what about grip!? I bet no matter how lean you get, you'd still have tremendous grip power. I assume you have lost the desire to train it specifically... but if the bug bit you again, I know you'd be pretty good.

I did get back into some grip with the climbing board and some atomik brand pull-up devices (some grippers, too) and I quickly developed a good case of tendonitis. Back to some high rep band assist stuff now, but I have to take it easy.

Today: 4 rounds of 1250m row & 12 band assist chin-ups in 24:42 (drag 120).

Row1_zps1b0ype0r.jpg

Short bench press workout, then 4 rounds of: 1250m skierg & 30sec wall handstand in 23:24. 18:38 ski (1:51.8), DF95, 39sm. Was happy with the ski as I was hoping for a sub 2 avg. Fantastic workout.

Bench press workout then the plan was a good effort for 30' on the rower. Stopped at 5017m in 17:46 (1:46.2), DF125, 21sm - still a bit tired from skierg TT I guess.

5 rounds of: 1000m skierg & 10 band assist chins in 24:24.1 (1:51.5 avg, DF95, 39sm)