Morgan's Grip Log

maidenfan

06-23-08

OHS Warm-ups - Bar x 10

Front Squat - 70K x 5, 110K x 1, 140K x 1 x 2 sets

Pull-ups - Body x 6, B x 5

Sandbag Clean & Press (clean ea rep) - 180 x 3, 180 x 1 + 1 clean, 180 x 1

HS 4way Neck - 35x25

Grip work (couple of sets on the G-Rex, 8lb hammer levers and TTK Thumbs)

Couple of Zercher carries w/my 6" x 10' slosh pipe - very hard

I've been using my re-stitched "ultimate sandbag" for a few workouts now and its held up okay - I'm getting the feeling the stitching is going to start giving away soon though - we'll see. The bag is long and very awkward to use - which makes it that much better.

45 mins in the pool

• 1 month later...

Haven't been posting much lately - but still working out hard. I got married a few weeks ago and have been busy with work.

Well then congrats on the wedding!!! :rock :rock :rock :rock

Congrats on the new Wife Morgan!!! I can't wait to come up there and hang out and show you how to pinch some stuff next week ;).

Thanks, we've been together for over 11 years now, so its nothing new - she can legally take half of everything now :D

08-01-08

Good workout today.

Front Squats - 70K warm-up then several sets of 3-4 reps with 120K

"Move the Rocks Drill" - 3 river rocks 97lbs, 111lbs, 120lbs - trick is once you pick up the rock you cant move your feet - moved all three ~120', no rest - need to time this as it got my heart going good.

Bear Hug and walk w/240ish rock - I was just re-locating this per the wife - was hard enough that I consider it part of the workout :blink

Overhead Press 187lb rock - 1 rep - hard

I've also been swimming 3+ times a week, but I also figured out that the Belgiums make good beer, so I'm still soft.

Edited by maidenfan

08-02-08

Did 2 circuits of rope extentions, preacher curls, 4 way sledge levers, Formulator and 4 way neck

08-04-08

Front Squats - Three sets of 120K - 4-5 reps

Pullups - B x 7,6

Sandbag C&P - 180x5 + 10 back squats, 180x5 + a couple of step ups onto my big tire (hard)

Arm work - Rope Ext, Preacher Curls, Sledge Levers, Formulator

4way Neck - 45x15

35 mins of swimming

08-11-08

Front Squat - 70K x 5, 120K x 6, 120K x 5, 120K x 4

Pull-ups - Body x 9, 5, 5

Odd Object Clean and Strict Press (1 clean) - 180 sandbag x 5, 190 rock x 1, 206 Keg x 1

DB curls (standing and sloppy) - 70's x 20 (10ea arm)

Rope Tricep Cable Ext - 90 x 10

Sledge Levers (supersetted with) sledge baseball and golf swings - focus on moving hammer with wrists

4way Neck - 45 x 25

30 mins Elliptical

Nice everything. Body x9 in pullups at your BW is great!!

Do you not OH Squat anymore?

Nice pressing overhead!!

Your video of 275 per hand on barbells on youtube is still awesome Morgan. You should work up to 315 per side!! :D

Thanks - I've been working hard on the pullups as they're a good indicator of strength and I should be able to do more than what I can. I OHS occassionally, but usually only for warm-ups. They're difficult and require dedication and concentration - I'm lazy - you do the math :D Funny you mentioned the suitcase dl - that was the last time I tried that. 315 would be pretty hard for me - I've tried one had dl'ing 315 with the bar in front of me and could not hang on to it.

Thanks - I've been working hard on the pullups as they're a good indicator of strength and I should be able to do more than what I can. I OHS occassionally, but usually only for warm-ups. They're difficult and require dedication and concentration - I'm lazy - you do the math :D Funny you mentioned the suitcase dl - that was the last time I tried that. 315 would be pretty hard for me - I've tried one had dl'ing 315 with the bar in front of me and could not hang on to it.

You could not hang onto it but you got air, I remember the video. You got PLENTY of air if I remember correctly. I think a slight increase in strength would let you DL that amount, I wasn't saying you can do it right now, buf if you trained for it it would take a very short time to achieve that level, I'm willing to bet. I just mentioned it because it's such a cool feat, very hard. And the bar in front might be harder than the neutral possition of the hands by your sides.. I thought the 630 total pounds would be the limiting factor and not your grip, since I don't know your DL numbers. This feat would require that the guy doing it can: 1) deadlift 630 pounds, and 2) have an awesome grip. I bet not many can do it. Some VERY strong-handed people can't get 300 pounds on a barbell, see the results of grip-contests where it's been an event for reference!! Anyways, was just not an idea, not trying to tell you what to do :)

Keep pulling up and start adding weight also!! Once you can do a couple of reps with weight, you take the weight off, rest two mins and go for another set, and you'll bruise your chest with the hard hit from the bar, you'll rocket to the bar, it's a cool feeling :)

I'm definately not a 630 DL'er (should be tho). I go in spurts with DL'ing and my best was 500 for a double - I prefer the round back lifting - rocks and such. I'll start throwing in the suitcase Dl'ing now and then and see where it goes. My leg strength has been my focus for the last month or so - right now my goal is a pistol both legs. I can almost do it right, but I have to stay on my toes or I'll fall backwards at the bottom.

08-13-08

Front Squats - 70K x 5, 120K x 7, 120K x 5, 120K x 2 (wide stance)

Pistols - Fail R and L (working on these - cant keep my balance when I get to the bottom - fall backwards)

Pullups - Body x 9, Rope Pullups B x 5, Chins B x 4

Odd Object Clean and Strict Press (1 clean) - 40K KB's x 10, 180 Sandbag x 5, 206 Keg x 1

10 mins of Rock Tossing (Rocks fm 100 to 240 and a 206 Keg) - just pick them up and try to press and toss - only the light ones got overhead and tosses - keep it going for as long as I can then take a break, continue for 10 mins.

Sledge Levers and Swings

MG Bell - 1 Right, Hover Left

Edited by maidenfan

You've got more than 100 pounds on me, so a Pistol is a different story, but I can tell you what worked for me (and quickly) when I was first trying to do one.

The first and obvious technique is to do negatives. But keep the weight in your heels.. toes = no good.

Very important note: Lean foward and extend your arms forward if needed so your weight is balanced, if you're falling backwards this could help. Also, you're a very strong guy, I bet you have the strength to do a pistol, just not the balance yet. So, if you're still falling backwards on your butt even if you round your back and lean your torso forward as much as you can, with your arms straight in front.... You can try holding weight (small weight) in front of you, with arms extended. Even 10-20 lbs make a big difference since they're being held in front of you at arm's length. This will add weight, but for some guys makes it easier due to the balance issue.

Now, onto the one exercise that helped me the most, is one that I got from beastskills.com ... It is very different from a "step up", yet from a distance, it could look similar: Make a big or platform, whatever height... say, 20 inches to begin with? Whatever you can handle for reps. Now, just step up on it. "Isn't this a regular step up?", you ask... here's the catch: 1) dorsiflex the feet of the leg in the floor, so your toes are pointing up, and only the heel of that foot is in contact with the ground. Keep this contraction hard, and you'll eliminate all the push you get from the calf muscles when stepping up. 2) flex the quad of that lower leg very hard also, locking your knees, thus eliminating the push you'd normally get from that leg. If you keep these two contractions hard, you'll realize how odd it feels, because your lower leg will feel like it's just a stick attached to your body, it wont help at all trying to step up to the box. Once you can do the desired number of reps (I did 10), just elevate the box height. Eventually, you'll be at a height that will very well simulate the bottom possition of a pistol. And once you can't go any higher, you can add weight too if you still can't do a pistol at that point.

I feel a bit odd trying to "help" someone so much stronger than myself, but I can do 15 straight pistols without letting the other foot touch the floor so I thought I'd share what got me from 0 to 15.

08-15-08

Front Squats - 75K x 5, 120K x 7

Pistols - one attempt ea leg

Pull ups - Body x 8

Clean and Strict Press (1 clean) - 48kg KB's x 3, 206 Keg x 1, 190 Rock x 1, 180 Sandbag x 5

Sledge Levers

Hot and tired today - weak workout - have to do some more tomorrow morning

I feel a bit odd trying to "help" someone so much stronger than myself, but I can do 15 straight pistols without letting the other foot touch the floor so I thought I'd share what got me from 0 to 15.

I need all the help I can get brother - everybody has their niche.

08-18-08

Front Squat - 70K x 5, 120K x 8

Pull-ups - Body x 8

Clean and Strict Press (1 clean) - 190 Rock x 1, 240 Rock x Clean Only, 206 Keg x 1, 180 Sandbag x 150' Overhead Walk

Rock Cleans - 240 x 2, 250 Sandbag x 1

Rock Tossing (Pick up and two hand standing put) - 120 x 20 (blasted shoulders and got my heart pumping good)

Steve McGranahan Pinch Device - Two hands x 10 (havent used this one in a long time)

Standing DB Curls (sloppy) - 70's x 20 (10 ea arm)

Cable Rope Exts - 100 x 8

Lower Arm Work (sledge levers, sledge swings, formulator)

Hammer Strength 4way Neck - 45 x 25 ea way

20 mins elliptical, 15 mins Treadmill

08-20-08

Front Squat - 70K x 5, 120K x 8

Back Squat - 150K x 5

Pull-ups - Body x 8

Kneeling Clean & Strict Press (1 clean) - 180 Sandbag x 1 (hard), 32 KB's x 5, 40KB's x 5 (clean was a bitch - had to do it one at a time)

Grippers - #2 x 1, #3 x 7 right/ 1.9 left (dbl stamp/black spring/no set)

Sledge Levers

HS 4way Neck - 45 x 25 ea way

I havent used the grippers in a long time so I was suprised at the 7 reps. Cleaning and pressing while kneeling with a sandbag would really make a guy strong - gonna keep up with these for a while - makes you realize how much one uses their trunk and lower body - I'd bet this would be a great exercise for a greco roman wrestler.

Thanks man - great variation if anyone is interested - just like seated good mornings, etc. You really dont realize how much you use your lower body until you start trying to KB swing while kneeling.

08/21/08

30 mins swimming (100m/45sec rest/100m repeat)

You really dont realize how much you use your lower body until you start trying to KB swing while kneeling.

My wing span is like 6' 8" at just under 6 feet tall...this would be hilarious!

But I'm definetely trying some kneeling pressing and such. Great work in here, man.

08-23-08

Squat Warmups - Front/Back Squat - 70K x 5

Front Squat - 120K x 10 (PR)

Back Squat - 160K x 1, 160K x 2, 170K x 1, 170K x 1, 180K x 1

Pull-ups - Body x 9, 5

Kneeling Sandbag Wrestling (Pick up bag, try to overhead press, cant touch ground for 1 min - 1 min rest) - 180 SB x 2 rounds (very, very hard - gassed quick - need more fitness)

Standing Sandbag C&P - 180x3

Bending - 1 x 60P (ends cut off) reverse style

Dumbell Hang Snatch - 90 x 20 (10 ea arm) - gassed quick on these too

HS 4way Neck - 45x10, 55x10, 65x10

30 mins swimming

Edited by maidenfan

08-25-08

Squat W-ups - F/B 70K x 5, Sissy Squat x 1

Front Squat - 120K x 9

Back Squat - 160K x 4, 160K x 2, 160K x 2

Pull-ups - Body x 9

1 Arm DB Hang Snatch - 90 x 100 reps in 14:26 sec (50 ea arm)

30 mins swimming

25 min Elliptical

10 min Treadmill

DB Snatch totally gassed me - very good anerobic work here. I understand all the KB hype now!

08-25-08

1 Arm DB Hang Snatch - 90 x 100 reps in 14:26 sec (50 ea arm)

DB Snatch totally gassed me - very good anerobic work here. I understand all the KB hype now!

Hey maiden, cool workouts you've been doing! Almost double digit pull-ups though, cool!

I just wanted to ask: have you tried, instead of "DB hang snatch", a "DB hang squat snatch"? I did this (obviously with much less weight than yourself) and it was unbelievably tiring. It's basically the same, but instead of "dipping" only enough to catch the dumbell, you squat fully, all the way below parallel to catch the dumbell in the snatch possition, then stand up erect with the DB overhead before letting it come down again. This makes a HUGE difference, providing you're going low on every rep. Just in case you want some more of that "anaerobic work" or something :D