Morgan's Grip Log

maidenfan

Felt motivated today - went to the pool

Alternate 100m w/paddles and a pull buoy and kicking with the Jet Fins and a kick board - 1min rest between sets.

1000m w/buoy and paddles

500m w/Jet Fins and kickboard

Finished with some chest flys and delt flys w/the swim paddles - 1 set ea for 1 min as hard as I could go - kicked my ass.

Weighed in at 280 flat today - my new goal is to be in the best shape of my life (strength and cardio) before I turn 40 - including my 195lb Marine Corps days. I have 1.5 years to go.

Edited by maidenfan

03-04-08

Front Squat - 70K x 5, 120K x 2 x 5 sets

Rope Pullups - Body x 5, Body x 3

Chins - Body x 4

Pullups - Body x 3

Double Kettlebell Front Squat and Press (squat and press ea rep) - 32's x 5, 40's x 4, 40's x 3

HS 4way Neck - 45x15 (pause ea 5th rep)

Couple of circuts on the Lat pull/rear delt machines

30 mins Elliptical

06-05-08

45 mins in the Pool - Hardest drill today was holding a 4 gal bucket of water over my head while treading water with Jet Fins on (bucket drains via 5 x 1/2" holes in the bottom) - 1 min rest x 10 sets or so

30 min elliptical

just saw your double beast press and squat, thats crazy, bet there arent too many people who can do that :blink . awesome :rock

I"m sure there's a few here that could pull that off with ease - thanks though.

06-07-08

Pool - Bucket & Fins drill and some sculling w/paddles

Squats - 70K x 5, 120K x 5

Rope Pullups - Body x 3

Double KB Squat & Press - 40's x 5

HS 4way Neck - 45x20

06-09-08

Front Squat - 70K x 5, 120K x 2, 120K x 1

Rope Pullups - Body x 3

Double KB Squat and Press - 40's x 5

Pullups - Body x 5

Sandbag Clean and Press (1 clean/strict presses) - 186 x 5 + 10 back squats

Double KB Floor Press - 48's x 5 - lots harder than I thought this would be

KB Renegade Rows - 48's x 20 (10 ea arm)

Chins - Body x 5

Squat - 120K x 5, 150K x 1

KB Side Press - 32K x 1, 40K x 1

KB Olympic Snatch (no swing) - 40K x 10 (5 ea arm), 40K x 10

HS 4way Neck - 45x20

1 arm G-Rex - 55 x 20 (10ea arm)

30min Elliptical

Pretty good workout today

06/10/08

Pool Day

Pull Buoy & Paddles (1 min rest between sets) - 200m, 100m x 5 (500m total)

2 min rest

Jet Fins & Bucket Drill (hold 4gal bucket over head while kicking w/fins - bucket drains via 5 x 1/2" holes) - 10 sets - usually 30-45sec kicking ea set - 1 min rest between sets

2 min rest

Pull Buoy & Paddles (1 min rest between sets) - 100m x 5 (500m total)

2 min rest

Sculling w/Paddles (basically max effort rear delt and chest flys) - 25m x 4 - 1 min rest between sets (100m total)

About 50 mins in the pool - felt good

06-11-08

Overhead Squats - Bar x 10, 40K x 5, 90K x 5

Rope Pull-ups (2 ropes) - Body x 5

Front Squats - 120K x 5

Chins - Body x 5

Double KB Squats & Press - 40's x 5

Sandbag Clean & Press (1 clean/strict press) - 186lber x 4 + 10 back squats

HS 4way Neck - 45 x 10

Formulator - Flex - 35x20 Ext - 25x10

Sandbag Clean & Press (clean ea rep) - 186lber x 1 - wimped out

Elliptical - 40 mins

I've been reading a lot about the OHS lately... it seems to be a great exercise that many strength athletes praise, and say they regret not doing it enough!! The "milestone" in this lift, from what I've read, seems to be BWx15 reps. Once my shoulder (had surgery 16 days ago) fully heals I'm gonna try to see how on earth I can incorporate some OHS.. I don't have bumper plates :( heh. Nice workouts!!

OHS are a great exercise - great for those like me who dont stretch normally as they'll keep your body somewhat flexible. I'd be happy with BW x 1 rep! One of my short term goals now is to double sotts press my 48kg kettlebells - I can barely do the 32's right now because of my poor shoulder flexibility.

06-12-08

Pool Day

Pull Buoy & Paddles (1 min rest between sets) - 200m, 100m x 4 (500m total)

Tread Water (w/20lb weight belt) - 1 set x 1 min (tuff - going to add a few seconds each time)

Bucket & Jet Fins Drill (1 min rest between sets) - 10 sets (about 30-40sec sets)

Pull Buoy & Paddles (1 min rest between sets) - 100m x 5 sets (500m total)

Back at Home

Double KB Swing & High Pull - 24's x 10, 32's x 10 x 3 sets (good exercise)

supersetted with/

Incline Sit-ups - Body x 10 x 4 sets

06-13-08

Rope Pull-ups (single rope) - Right/Left - Body x 3, Left/Right - Body x 3

Pull-ups - Body x 5 x 3 sets

Power Rail Handstand Push-ups - B x 1, B x Neg, B x Neg

Sandbag Overhead Carries - 186 x 150', Keg 2/3's Full of Water x 150'

Rock Clean & Press - 190 x 1, 186 Sandbag x 1

Single KB Clean & Press - 40K x 10

Chins - Body x 5 x 2 sets

KB Curls - 24's x 10

45 mins in the Pool

06-14-08

HS 4way Neck - 35x20x2sets

Overhead Squat - 70K x 5 x 2 sets, 90K x 1

Double KB Clean & Press - 24's x 20, 24's x 20

BTN Pulldowns - 120x20, 120x20

Preacher Curls - 55x10

Elliptical - 30mins

06-16-08

Front Squats - 70K x 5, 130K x 1 x 3 sets

Overhead Squats - 70K x 5

Pull-ups - Body x 3

Double KB Floor Press - 48's x 10, 48's x 10

Rope Pull-ups - Body x 3

Rock Ring Pull-ups - Body x 3

Renegade Rows - 48's x 20 x 2 sets

Sandbag Clean & Press - 186 x 4, 186 x 1 + 150' overhead walk

Machine Preacher Curls - 55x10, 65x10

HS 4way Neck - 35x20

~45 mins in the pool

30 mins Elliptical

Ok, I can't help but say something. It might be totally useless and I know that a weak guy's opinion could easily be ignored by strong fellas :P But still, I'll say it.

What is the deal with all that time you spend in the eliptical ??? It is, in my opinion, nearly useless!! (PLEASE keep reading!).

Back in February 2006 I was 240lbs of fat, and by June I reached 200, that was 40lbs in 4 months.. just eating South Beach Diet and doing 45-55 minutes of eliptical, 6 days a week. So how on earth is it that I say it's useless?? Well, it just is. If I could do it all over, I'd do it differently, you can bet on it! I still am no guru but at least I know a thing or two I didn't know back then, when I thought that a lifting routine were mostly isolation, etc.

The eliptical's only good thing is that it doesn't have impact and saves your joints (compared to running in concrete while landing on your heels, like nearly everyone who runs, for example). But you would think that after so many months and so many hours of eliptical work, in which I was doing always levels 16-18 or so (out of 20) and for those long periods of time... you'd think my endurance in other stuff would be good, or leg strength or whatever... well, when I finally decided to try other equipment (like treadmills), I noticed I SUCKED, and at a slow pace I'd be totally out of breath in 10 minutes. Stationary bike? The same. Step-master? The same, 10 minutes was harder than 60 on the eliptical. I think the eliptical has a very short ROM.. I mean, your shin and your femur never form a close angle, your legs are almost straight the entire time. I think it's comparable to doing as many squats (no weight) as you can, but only lowering yourself 6 inches and up.... then try another set, but going to parallel and up.. there's a world of difference. Needless to say, I never did eliptical since then. Eliptical was too easy, even for an out-of-shape guy like myself. I think the only reason many people include it at the end of their workouts "for some cardio", it's because it's easy, it's manageable, and they think that by doing 30 minutes of it, they're getting the "benefits of cardio". I don't know if you're one of these people though, I'm not saying you're wrong, because I could be. But I think that there are hundreds of better ways to do "cardio", if that's what you're after. I have seen you have kettlebells and stuff... haven't you tried some cardio-oriented KB workouts? Usually lighter weight, higher rep stuff? Or interval training or something.. or rope-jumping.. let me tell you that I've jumped a lot of rope, and still I can't jump for many minutes straight, maybe 10 on a max effort.. Last time I did like 30, but in sets of 2 mins with 30 secs rest and so.. but eliptical? I bet I still can do a ton, it's so easy :)

Sorry to waste your time!! :D

No waste of time man - everyone's entitled to an opinion. I started on the treadmill and found that I get a lot better workout on the elliptical - heart pumps harder and I sweat more. It really doesnt matter to me what kind of cardio I do, as long as I progress, which I have.

06-17-08

Pool Day

Pull Buoy & Paddles - 500m in 10min

Tread water w/Jet Fins

Sculling w/paddles on

40 mins in the pool today - felt good.

06-18-08

Front Squat - 70K x 5, 110K x 1, 140K x 1, 110K x 5

Pull-ups - Body x 5

Double KB Squat & Press - 40's x 5

Rope Pull-ups - Body x 5

Sandbag Clean & Press - 180x1, 180x3, 180x1+1 front squat, 180x3, 180x1

Cable Hip Belt Squat - 150x10

5 Gal Water Bottle Curl and Press - 10

HS 4way Neck - 35x25

Horizontal Machine Squat - 225x10

Elliptical - 30min

Glad I stumbled on this log. Your youtube vids are incredible. Ill throw my hat in the current elliptical discussion. Muscle is the furnace and fat is the fuel. The more muscle you have the more fuel you will burn all the time. for a muscular guy 30 min on an elliptical is a great way to burn fat. Arturo you said you were 240lbs of fat and earlier referred to yourself as weak. You will have to do a helluva alot more cardio than someone with maidens build to burn the same calories. You would have been much better off doing the nutrition change and use your gym time to build muscle so that you will always burn more fat. As far as the short stride you referred to... I know what you mean and short strides suck. they range from 16" to 26". Alot more muscle activation with a long stride therefore more calories expended. Stride length also depends on the intensity you are working out at. if you are going balls out you will want a long stride. just like when you run fast your brain tells your legs to take longer strides. I guess what im saying is use the machine for what its intended. Its intended to provide a ROM for your muscles to move through in order to activate them and burn fuel. Its not going to get you in shape if you dont have muscle on you. Gotta hit the iron for that. Ok im off my soapbox. Maiden keep up the good work.. ill be checking this one out daily.

Edited by Chris Mathison

I'll toss in a penny or two.

I didn't (and probably don't haha) have the muscular endurance to get a good cardiovascualr workout on a treadmill. Simple too taxing fro the legs. I could/can keep my HR up better and longer on the elliptical.

But, in my professional opinion, if possible stick to the old ground and pound or the treadmill. But you do what you gotta do to ge the work in, ultimately.

Also, for Chris's benefit, what was that 'One Handed 3" Bar Pull' of yours, Morgan? Like 170 or so...?

Mogan, have you tried HIIT or MAT like workouts.

I did them for a while to get my bodyfat below 8% for climbing, but in the end I got "fat" again.

Also, for Chris's benefit, what was that 'One Handed 3" Bar Pull' of yours, Morgan? Like 170 or so...?

sheesh.. Good story: Ive had one experience with 1hand 3". It was at jackals. he had a loadable circus dumbell with 3" handle. 140lbs empty. I got it about 8-12 inches up before it just rolled out of my hand. After a few repeats of this Karl walks over picks it up like a regular 25lb dumbbell and walks it across the gym. pretty humbling.

Chris Mathison: thanks for your input. I am 170lbs now, by the way, and trying to get leaner and stronger, just had some setbacks with injury and a surgery but I hope I'm fully recovered in a few weeks, after a whole year pretty much wasted dealing with the injury, trying to avoid surgery. If I could back to january 2006 and do it all over again, I would have spent those 45-55 minutes 6x a week on other stuff, not eliptical, but I didn't know any better back then... and it was working, after 10lbs off the first month, why quit? I just kept going. Of course, the fatloss was probably mostly due to diet changes anyways.. but I probably lost lots of muscle in that period, since I did not lift any weights! Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the comments - there are several of you guys here that make us all look like weaklings (Chris, Matt, Carusom, etc). I'm almost 40 now, so I'm trying to add some "fitness" to my workouts.

Honk - I guess I've been doing some HIT type training in the pool - 100m hard effort swims, 1 min break, continue - I'm not well versed in that style of training and I havent been doing the pool work long enough to notice anything yet.