Morgan's Grip Log

maidenfan

Thurs 07/27/06

4way Neck (bands) - Greenx30sec, Bluex25sec

Neck Rotations (bands) - Bluex8

~15 mins of kettlebell flipping w/24, 32, and 40kg bells

Figured I'd try out the kettlebell flipping I saw you guys doing. I took a tip from the dieselcrew and wrapped my bells w/electrical tape for an added grip workout. Did real crappy, but got a good workout (cardio/grip/posterior). Only managed a few singles w/the 40 (tuffy) as my grip was fried by the time I got the guts to try it. I did manage a short string with the 32kg bell though. Awesome fun - try it, I was sweating bullets when I was done.

Fri 07/28/06 BW - 284

Standing Overhead Axle Press (strict) - 30x10, 120x8, 170x15, 210x5

Axle Pull-ups (thumb over grip) - Body x 6

CSR Row - 135x10, 180x8

Bench Press (start fm bottom off pins) - 225x6, 315x3

Pull-ups - Body x 5

Formulator - 55x9 (flex), no extensions

My body aches all over from yesterdays kettlebell flips - everything today pretty much sucked. My back was too sore to do any squatting or sandbag work

Thurs 07/27/06

4way Neck (bands) - Greenx30sec, Bluex25sec

Neck Rotations (bands) - Bluex8

~15 mins of kettlebell flipping w/24, 32, and 40kg bells

Figured I'd try out the kettlebell flipping I saw you guys doing. I took a tip from the dieselcrew and wrapped my bells w/electrical tape for an added grip workout. Did real crappy, but got a good workout (cardio/grip/posterior). Only managed a few singles w/the 40 (tuffy) as my grip was fried by the time I got the guts to try it. I did manage a short string with the 32kg bell though. Awesome fun - try it, I was sweating bullets when I was done.

I have been fighting the urge to buy a Kettlebell($$$), your video doesn't help! :angry:

Dont go to the Dieselcrew or Farmstrength sites then - you'll definately buy 'em then :) . If you do, check out www.gillathletics.com - nice quality and cheaper than most (shipping is the crapper though).

Edited by maidenfan

Sat 07/29/06

4way Neck (bands) - Greenx30sec, Bluex30sec

Neck Rotations (bands) - Blue x 8 ea way

Kettlebell Tosses - 24kg x 5, 40kg x couple singles only

Its obvious to me if I want to improve my kettlebell tosses I'm going to have to cut out some grip work - the tops of my forearms are still blasted from the other days work. It'll take some strong mitts to toss that 40kg back and forth for 45sec or more rounds. Good stuff! Heres a quick vid on how I do my neck rotations with the bands if anybody is interested. These is a good exercise for contact sports.

Thanks to Rick Walker at the Dieselcrew for the idea.

Mon 07/31/06

Axle OHP (strict) - Barx10, 120x8, 210x5 (felt weak)

Rolling Thunder (plates only) - 180x1, 240xHover right (also felt weak, suprised to do this)

Axle DL (DO) - 210x1 (stopped here)

KB Flips - 24kg x 3-4 flips, 40kg x lots of drops, strings of 3-4 catches in a row, 40kg x a few drops, strings of 5-7 catches in a row.

This workout really sucked - felt very tired and drained. Gonna take a day or two off and maybe switch things up a bit. I'm really liking the KB flipping. I may even incorporate some other KB exercises as I'm not losing body fat as fast as I'd like. My diet is as good as its gonna get (within reason) so I need to start burning some more calories. Well see. I was happy to get some strings with the 40kg bell though - hands are toast.

Tues 08/01 BW - 281

4way Neck (bands) - Greenx30sec, tweeked neck on second set - stopped here

Formulator - 55x14 (flex), 25x13 (ext)

Kettlebell Flipping - 24kg x 5, 40kg x lotsa drops, 3 in a row, 40kg x nice long string (PR)

Ok workout - tweeked the neck a tad - sucks, but it happens from time to time when you train the neck hard. KB flipping was really good - major improvement - 40kg still throws me around a lot though. Gonna keep these and probably start adding some other KB exercises too

Since you are thinking about doing more kettlebell stuff, you might want to check out Dieselcrew's e-books about kettlebells if you allready haven't, I just got them both and they have loads of good ideas that had never crossed my mind. Well worth the money.

Allways great to read your log, gives me ideas as I like to train pretty much in similar style. Keep up the good work! :rock

Edited by Teemu I

Weds 08/02/06

Sandbag Shoulder and Carry - 150lb x 150' (2 shoulders)

Sledgehammer Tire Striking (Hands stay at end of shaft/1 min rest between sets) - 16lb x 10 overhand strikes ea side x 6 sets

Tire strikes felt really good - keeping the hands at the end of the shaft throughout the entire swing absolutely kills the wrist and forearms - I can barely type right now. I need to get used to these as my 30lb War Hammer from Torque Athletic is on its way!

Thurs 08/03/06

KB "Bell Catch & Forward Flip" - 16kg x 2, 24kg x 3, 32kg x a few, 40kg x a few, 32kg x various throws and catches.

KG Swing Variant (finish w/a bell-up snatch) - 32kg x several attempts

Pinch Grip Farmers Walk - 25kg Bumpers x 80' (no drops)

Then next few days are going to be "mess around" / rest days as my shoulders are a tad sore. I'm really enjoying the KB stuff. I purchased the KB e-books from the dieselcrew site - good stuff. The bell catch, forward flip exercise was from it. I've never really focused or tried swings for an extended period of time until today - gets the heart pumping real good. I sorta nailed one rep w/the bell up snatch (only thing I could think of to describe it) - try them out, its a fun variant of the swing. Heres a video

Took a few days off - didnt take enough though

08/07/06

One arm KB Press (2 kb's in one hand, strict press) - 16+24 x 1, 32+24 x Fail

AA DL (Knuckles forward) - 210x1, 300x1, 440xTo knees (PR), 390x2 and change

RT (plates only) - 180x1, 225x1 (right only), 240 x Fail bad

Band Pushups - Green x 10

KB Bottoms Up Swings (one hand) - 32kg x several, 40kg x some

Formulator - flex - 60x10, ext - 35x1, 45xFail

Sledge Levers (To nose then out from body) - 8x1, 10x1, 12x1 (nose only), 16x1 (very sloppy, nose only)

My workouts are going south, I really need to change it up. My big hammer will be here tomorrow so I'm gonna hit some KB/Sledgehammer workouts for a while - I need the gpp anyhow

35 x 1 on the formulator extensors is just plain crazy!!!

Tues 08/08/06

4way Neck (bands) - Green x 30sec

Sledgehammer Tire Striking -

Overhand Strikes

16lb x 10 ea side

30lb x 10 ea side (last 5 hands at end of shaft)

30lb x 6 ea side (last 3 hands at end)

16lb x 10 ea side (last 5 hands at end)

16lb x 10 ea side (all ten at end)

16lb x 10 ea side (all ten at end)

30lb hammer is a beast - threw me around a bit. I need to do a bit more striking w/a normal hand position as doing it with the hands at the end really fries the forearms. I'm gonna make a BIG hammer real soon - like a 100+lber. Torqueathletic has big ones, but they too expensive for my blood. Heres a vid of part of the workout

08/09/06 BW - 283

Reverse Band Bench Press (start fm bottom off pins) - 135x8, 225x6, 315x5, 405x1, 495xFail, 455xDarn close (couldnt quite lock it out).

AA DL (knuckles forward) - 300x1, 390x2 and change

2.5" DB C&P (one clean, strict press) - 110x1, 130x1 (push press, right only)

KB Swings - 32kg x 8

KB "Bottoms Up" Press - 40kg x 1r/close left, 40kg x 2r/1l (quick one)

Formulator - Flex - 60x9 Ext - 35x5

Forearms feel good after todays workout. The KB stuff was fun.

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

8/10/06

4way Neck (bands) - Green x 30sec, Green+1/2green x 30sec

Sledge Tire Striking (one min rest between rounds)-

12lb x 10 ea side

16lb x 10 "

30lb x 10 "

30lb x 10 (last 5 hands at the end)

16lb x 10 (all ten hands at the end)

16lb x 15

I'm definately out of shape - the sledge striking totally kicks my ass.

08/11/06 BW 284

2" DB Snatch - 60x2, 110x1, 130x1 (sloppy form - good PR tho)

BB Row - 155x5, 245x6, 335x3

Sandbag Shoulder & Carry - 150x300' (switch shoulders at 150')

Formulator - 60x12 (flex) 35x7 (ext)

Short and sweet today - DB snatches were fun.

08/12/06

4way Neck (bands) - Green x 30sec, G+1/2G x 35sec

Standing Cable Crunches - 80x15

Sledgehammer Tire Strikes (~1min rest between rounds)

12x10 ea side

16x10 "

30x10 "

30x10 "

30x10 "

30x10 "

16x10 " (hands at end)

08/11/06 BW 284

2" DB Snatch - 60x2, 110x1, 130x1 (sloppy form - good PR tho)

BB Row - 155x5, 245x6, 335x3

Sandbag Shoulder & Carry - 150x300' (switch shoulders at 150')

Formulator - 60x12 (flex) 35x7 (ext)

Short and sweet today - DB snatches were fun.

Heck, I have to check your log more often, Morgan!!!

That was a very fine lift you did there.

I'd be proud to get 130# on a standard bar but 2"?? :blink:bow

Thanks buddy. My hands are long enough that using a 2" bar isnt as much of a difference. My problem, especially with the olympic style lifts, is technique and speed.

08/14/06

Military Press warmups - 45x15, 135x10

River Rock C&P (one clean, strict press) - 190x6

Reverse Band Bench Press (start fm bottom, off pins) - 225x8, 315x3, 405x4

Lots of practice w/my KB cleans and snatches

KB "snatch, squat, sotts press" - 40kg x 1, 40kg x 1

I was working out in the national forest today and found a great river rock - weighed in a hair under 190lbs. I also got Steve Cotter's KB DVD series - awesome resource for new KB lifters (and advanced) like me. My forearms are a tad sore from all the snatching (getting better though). The second video is an exercise off Cotter's DVD - a very good one. KB experts please chime in with some tips.

No, that was just one rep, bout all I was good for. I'd actually like to pair up my 32 and 40 before going any higher. Do you know of any company other than max kettlebells and dragondoor that makes cast kb's 48kg and heavier? Thanks for the suggestion on the Cotter DVD - its very thorough and he does a very good job explaining the lifts. I really liked the snatch, squat, sotts w/2 kb's - even Cotter looked like he strained doing that one. The pinky clean and press w/the 32kg bell by the Russian lifter was good too.