Blobs

GordonV

I just noticed you uploaded pics of the replica in your gallery. They look great! Just like the real thing. How does the texture compare? Whenever you find out the final price, let us know. Thanks for your work on this.

Check it out! I just saw the samples from the foundry and gave the green light for the first production run.

The pictures of the BLOB50 next to an actual York Blob are in my gallery. Link.

So far I have 25 guys who are "signed up" to a first crack at buying a BLOB50 when they are ready to ship. T

The BLOB50 is "naked" in the pictures. I will be priming and painting the finished BLOB50's before they ship.

The samples came in at 2.5% over weight (51.5#) but on the production run I am having a bit more of the flat spot on the bottom milled off so the finished weight will be very close to 50#

The foundry said two weeks before the casting is done. I will start taking orders when I have a final product from the foundry. :rock

Right now it looks like the price will be $10 higher than the earlier estimate due to the foundry costs coming in higher than expected.

Edited by GordonV

ClayEdgin Posted on Jul 23 2004, 12:21 PM

I just noticed you uploaded pics of the replica in your gallery. They look great! Just like the real thing. How does the texture compare? Whenever you find out the final price, let us know. Thanks for your work on this. 

The process and materials from York Blob to BLOB50 are identical.

Right now the surface of the unpainted BLOB50 is a bit rough (think cast iron cookware) but the texture will be identical once primed and painted.

$90 is still fair. I would be interested in a blob that was not primed and painted. The blob I have now is smooth as silk and hard to lift!

WOW! It looks great. I cannot wait until these things are ready.

Thanks for the effort,

T!

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I may have to order one. :rock:cool

They did a damn good job casting these.

-HH

Put me in for one bro!They look sweet!!! What date will they be Ready???I already own a few original blobs,but the BLOB50 looks so nice!!! :D

So, 90 dollars a piece will be the cost?

It would be safe to say that's NOT including shipping, right Gordon??

I'd prefer them to be a bit heavy. I'd even be interested in some in the 50-60lb range. Probably too expensive tho.

So, 90 dollars a piece will be the cost?

It would be safe to say that's NOT including shipping, right Gordon??

I know this is the case. It's without shipping.

There's so much interest, I am pinning this for now so Gordon can provide updates front and center.

Can't wait to get mine!

I'm collecting money from interested parties at the gym.have about 5 guys interested in chipping in.(I think a few of em will lift it quick...but yya never know pinching ain't thick bar)

Where do we send the money.

That is awesome!! :blink

The "GordonV BLOB50". I can't wait to see these things getting shipped out. I hope you are making some cash off of this Gordon. You have made this thing happen and deserve to reap some benefits for your efforts.

I went over and saw this thing. It is everything I hoped it could be. I advise everyone to buy one!

I should have the production run BLOB50's at the end of next week (by 8/6/04). After that I will need to prime and paint them before shipping them out.

I will start taking orders as the paint is drying. When this happens I will send PM's to those guys who have expressed interest in getting a BLOB50. Once I have made it though the list I will make a general post to the board to open it up to everyone else.

Clay for one expressed an interest in getting an unpainted BLOB50, I don't plan on sending out any of them unpainted. After playing with the sample for a couple days it now is starting to develop a coat of rust. I would rather send out something that is going to continue to look nice rather than something that will rust after a couple days.

I plan on using a bare metal primer followed by flat black paint. This should not be as slick as some of the epoxies or heat cured enamels used commercially, but it will still be a durable finish and will prevent rust.

Thanks to everyone for their continued interest. Updates will be provided as new info becomes available.

Edited by GordonV

Thanks Gordon. I will be more than happy with a primered and painted blob :)

Gordon,

Great initiative on doing this, way to step up to the plate! :bow

One question though. How wide is the blob50 edge-to-edge? I have small hands (just over 7") and would love to buy one, but not if I can't even grab the thing :blush

thanks