Heavy Neck Work

climber511

Lifting the weight with the neck locked and supporting it throughout the lift.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• SHRUG

• mossman

• maidenfan

Top Posters In This Topic

What are some good full range lifts?

Pulling the weight all the way back starting from head on chin. Pulling the weight all the way forward to head on chin. I am now using a low pulley to hook the neckstrap to.

Full range I am good for 225 for several reps.

Full range I am good for 225 for several reps.

I can only do about 70 pounds full range for about 8-12 reps. The most I've tried is 90 pounds for one full range rep. I'm curious to try to see how much weight I can lift without going full range.

Do you use a barbell or do you just use a whole lot of plates?

I use a 10lb plate loader with lots of plates, 370 is 8 45lb plates. To clear something up, the way I do them with my neck locked is still very hard on the neck. In fact supporting that much weight with my neck strains my neck much more than full range reps do with less weight. I start with my head down as far as it can go and I lift the weight from there. It gives me much better results doing it this way and I gain alot of mass from it. I have come a long way in a short period of time on this lift. I think it is because I have increased volume and have started doing lots of massive negatives. At the time of the arnold classic I was only doing 275lbs in the locked neck position, I have gained 100lbs on the lift since then and I am still gaining strong.

• 5 weeks later...

Standing using a 12'' loading pin on the floor. I do not know how to do the seated version which may be harder for all I know. A friend who has also been doing the neck support feat has increased his neck size noticeably after only 3 sessions and had a huge neck to start with.

Standing is a lot easier as your neck is not at an angle like it is when you are sitting. I like doing the standing version as well however sitting decreases the weight I am able to do by a huge amount. Try it sitting and see how it goes, it is much harder.

Shrug, I suspected that! Please describe how you do the seated version from start to finish. You were right when you said in an earlier post that the heavy neck support was superior to conventional neckstrap work. It is a very potent movement.

I did take pics, but they do not clearly show how far the stack is off the floor, or the plates being used. I will adjust the setup for a higher lift, and also increase the amount of light in the room. I will try for another 20 lbs on top of the 415. A good idea might be to alternate grey and black plates on the loading pin to make it easy to count them.

Old Guy,

I tried the neck harness on the low pulley and it works great for the rear. It was very awkward to get setup for the front though, so I just went back to bands and plates. How do you set it up for the front?

Oldguy, sit on the edge of a bench or a military press. Lean forward so that your body is at a 45 degree angle or slightly greater that than. You should be sitting on something high enough that you have to lower your head as far as it will go to be able to hook on to the loading pin, your neck will be at a 90 degree angle at the least. Take the strain of the weight and burry your head back into your traps as hard as you can, this is hard to get used to because your neck is sometimes angled down. Get your whole body as tight as you can and then pull the weight to full lockout until your back is straight and your neck is fully locked at a 45 degree angle, this places maximum strain on your neck throughout the entire lift because the weight is never resting on bone or tendon strength. Hold the weight for at least a 2 count and then lower it back down, any questions?

Old Guy,

I tried the neck harness on the low pulley and it works great for the rear. It was very awkward to get setup for the front though, so I just went back to bands and plates. How do you set it up for the front?

I will get you some pics of the setup, and it being used. What neckstrap are you using? I have modifid my Everlast strap. I will post a pic of that too. Pics will be sometime within the next 7 days.

• 4 weeks later...

I perform neck supports, which I use a neck harness/load pin. I stand up, then squat all the way down, put the harness on and elevate my chin upward someward, then stand up with the weight, hold, then back down, I make sure to hold the weight coming and and go slow. Anyone else do it like this???