Bruce White

Guest NickMcKinless

Bruce White is one of the all time greatest grippers, particularly at pinching. He is 67 now but Frank Lamp of All Round Weightlifting Australia, tells me he is still training hard.

Bruce was a phenomenal deadlifter doing 632lbs as a middleweight lifter and 611 1/2lbs as a lightweight. He had some unique training methods that he developed himself. He trained alone and with amazing success despite the lack of local competition.

He pinch lifted over 55kg, could do repetition pinch chins on rafters and also one of the VERY few who could do them on one rafter. He also pinch lifed a 147lbs anvil by the horn. This info was all gleamed from an article in Ironman circa.1976.

David Horne does have more information than this but I figured I'd throw some input in as I believe that Bruce was and possibly still is one of the best ever.

Nick

Thanks for the info Nick.  Thats some pretty impressive stuff he did!  I hope David will be kind enough to share some more info with us about Mr. White.

Michael Falkov

An old article I have has a couple of pictures of Bruce White pinching 115lbs on a smooth plate and pinching 60lbs between his index finger and thumb only. It also states he squeezed 308lbs on his bathroom scales at bodyweight of 148lbs.

If you assume that he didn't fluctuate all that much from 148lbs bodyweight, lifting a 147lb anvil by the horn is truly a legendary feat. Also pinching 55kg or more on smooth plates is also incredible considering that that was equal to pinching approximately 82% of his bodyweight. Also a pinch of 41% of his bodyweight between his thumb and index finger is incredible as well. I'm sure these percentages would be even higher if I knew his maximum figure for those lifts.

To top it off a 623lb deadlift would have been well over four times his bodyweight.

Arthur

Mr. White really is a well rounded grip

guy....one of the best I have ever heard

about . His tremendous feats have long served

as an inspiration to me, my grip goals, and

training. I wish I had the honor of meeting

him.RS

In Muscular Development mag Jan 1965, Bruce is shown pich gripping 90 lbs in each hand, and is shown chinning

performing a pinch grip chin-up on very wide rafters (much farther apart than his shoulder width) with an

additional 70 lbs strapped on!

Bruce is certainly one of the greats. I had him at number 11 on my all time list. He was, and still is an inspiration to us all. It was reading about the likes of Bruce many years ago that got me into this type of training - thank you Bruce! Nick's hopefully going to try and visit Bruce. I think it could be better than our road trip to Scotland, wish I was there with you mate.

David

Guest scotte

Knowing nothing about Bruce, are there any web sites, book etc I could look at to learn more about him?  Sounds like a real inspirationial person!

Had (real name?),

David Horne is fourth on my all time list (published in Iron Grip #3) behind Goerner, Louis Uni and Thomas Topham. It's difficult to really say how David would do against these guys but they were never really pushed to their limits and still managed astounding feats of strength. IMO David is the best of our time.

Nick

Nick,

Where are some of the other best's of our time placed, e.g. Richard Sorin, Gorilla Hands, Stephen Gardner, you etc...

HAD (Peter Shaddock)

Peter,

If you order David's Iron Grip mag you'll see David's full list in issue #2 where he has Richard Sorin 3rd, John Brookfield 7th, Magnus Samuelsson 9th, Bruce White 11th, Chris James 13th and yours truly at 15th.

I had Sorin 7th, Chris James 11th, John Brookfield 12th and Elizabeth Talbot 15th. I also included reasons for having each person at which position but please remember this is only my opinion and not a general concensus.

The others that you mention have a great future and will I'm sure make a dent into that list at some time.

Nick

any other "Nick's tips" planned?

I enjoyed them very much, so please do not stop because you feel there is a lack of interest!

the swiss (name?),

The third installment was e-mailed to Bill on sunday but I asked him to hold off posting it because Tom had only just posted his latest Black Log. It'll go onto the Grip Page in the next day or so.

Don't worry I wasn't worried about lack of interest - I can see how many people have read each one so I know they are being appreciated and if some don't like what I say I don't care anyway! Thanks for the input though and enjoy the next article.

Nick

• 1 month later...