My Progress

Guest JimT

Hello all,

I posted here about four months ago (under the name 5fingersofgrip, which isn't working for some reason - so i re-registered), when I received the #1 and #2 - - Thought I'd post my progress and ask a couple of questions.

Well, first the big news... I closed the #2!  I clicked it twice during two seperate sessions (once each session)...  Definitely a huge rush... I've been doing a basic workout with the grippers every three or four days, doing a couple of sets with the #1 and then trying the #2 a couple of times each session, along with some plate flipping... My first close came roughly four months after I received the #2... Unfortunately, I haven't been able to repeat that during my last two workouts.  I think I haven't had the same emotional intensity that I had during those attempts (I was really up for it), or maybe I haven't recovered fully.

So now to my question... I have real trouble holding the number two closed for even a short period of time.  Even on forced closures, it basically forces my hand open a small fraction when I take my other hand away.  It was the same when I closed it for real... I basically heard it click, saw it closed for a second before it opened ever so slightly

What is the best way to work on this last 1/8th inch holding power?  From my reading it seems like I should start strap holds with the number one, rather than continue with the forced holds - or do I need to keep working on holding the #2 closed even though it forces my hand open so quickly?  Basically, would it be better to switch to the strap holds due to the fact that I don't get much work in that position with the number two, since I lose that fraction of an inch so quickly... Any advice would be appreciated.  This is with the goal of getting more consistent with the number two in mind.

Thanks,

Jim

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I think you hit the nail on the head with the strap holds. I am working on my #3,so I have also been taking my #2 and clossing it and then letting it open about 1/2" then clossing it again.I do make reps on this to finish my gripper workout.You might try this with your #1.Also work on exploding from start to finish when you are doing your workout. Good job on getting your #2 !

Guest Jay Ansuini

Jim-

Nice work with the #2!  Don't worry that you can't keep it closed too long just yet.  If you just recently closed it for the first time, you probably shouldn't be able to hold it closed that long.  It is different for everybody, but when I first closed it I couldn't keep it closed very long either.  I strongly agree with Harlan Jacobs and his training strategy.  Strap holds and partials with the #1 are the best plan of attack.

Also, one thing I liked that Scott Clayton told me about were penny holds.  The are the same principle as strap holds, but use a coin instead of a strap.  In other words, put a coin flat in between the handles of the gripper and squeeze the #### out of it.  When the coin falls, let the handles open halfway and try to squeeze them closed again.  If you can close it again, put the coin back in.  You know you are doing it right when you think your hand is going to fall off.  It is a killer, but once you get good at it you will absolutely mash the #2.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice, guys,

At first I was a little discouraged, because after I posted this, I didn't succeed in closing the 2 again for almost a month... BUT

I tried the coin holds first... I really think this helps with the concentration of really trying to crush the gripper - very good advice!

then I moved to using a staphold device that I made which worked well - - I made it by making a strap from duct tape around the neck of a two-liter bottle.  This way I could make the area I grab onto extremely thin, but still wide enough to make it easy to position between the handles.  Over the last month or two, I have slowly been filling the bottle up with water during each training session and doing strapholds.  Meaning, when I could easily hold the weight with either hand for 10 seconds for a couple of sets, I would add a cup of water (it is now full).  This did the trick - I have consistently closed and held the #2 during the last seven or eight  sessions - no problem!

I'm thinking of sending an order for the number 3, soon.

Also, has anyone ordered the Ironmind bag o' nails?  For someone who has an interest in bending and wants to get started, would you recommend it or will it be too advanced/expensive? - - i.e. should I go to the hardware store first?  - or work on some preliminary skills?

God Bless