The Stacker

Guest JD79

Guest JD79

I just ordered a Stacker from Ironmind.  It was on sale so I decided to give it a shot.  Anyone have one?  What does it work?  What do you do with it?

JD

JD79,

The "Stacker" is somewhat of a grip stunt.  Let me explain.  What you do is put the stacker on a table or some similiar sturdy object.  Then put some weight plates on it, slide your fingers into the device (palms up), then lift the whole thing up by just using your fingers only!  Ouch!  It's a real test of finger strength.  I don't know what the record is but I believe it was Goerner lifting 40 kilos (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this one).  Anyhow, have some fun with it!  Just be careful.  I had an injury to my fingers about a week ago, and it's NOT something I want to experience again!

Sybersnott

(Edited by Sybersnott at 11:35 pm on May 22, 2001)

Guest JD79

Thanks Sybersnott.  Like I said it was on sale and I can always use a new grip toy (like I dont have enough already).  BTW, you are right about Goerner lifting the 40 kilos.  He stacked bricks on top of one another to perform this feat.

JD  

Guest JD79

Well the Stacker arrived.  I was a little disapointed that there were no directions but I guess the thing is self explanatory.  You just load up the end with the pin, stick your fingers in the space in the other end and lift.  I'm sad to say that 30lbs stopped me cold.  A neat little toy and I'll play with it as time goes by.  I can't believe that Goerner did 40 kilos, oh wait yes I can.  

JD

Guest JD79

"One of Hermann Goerner's many mind-boggling feats of strength involved stacking nine large bricks crosswise on one end of another brick. Sliding his four fingers under the other end of the bottom brick, Hermann then lifted the 40-kg affair clear of the table"

Heres what Ironmind has to say.  I think you would have to put your hands in it, otherwise it would be a real pain.  Like I said, no instructions or pictures were given.  What does everyone else think?

JD

Your fingers are on the outside of the block, and not inserted inside.  It is meant to imitate the brick lift that Goernner did, and his fingers would have been on the outside of the brick, just as you would pick a plate up from a table with your thumb on top of the plate and your fingers underneath.  The stacker can also be envisioned as a plate loaded version of a plate curl held in the static position with your lower arm parallel to the ground.  I hope this helps.

Guest woody36

I thought the same as Todd,it wouldn't really simulate

a brick lift if your hands were not on the outside.

Surely some of the difficulty involved is the thickness

of the brick it would only leave a small portion of the

thumb on top of the brick requiring greater wrist/grip

strength.Making Goerners lift all the more incredible.

Guest JD79

Thanks guys.  I got to thinking about it and it wouldn't make sense to out your fingers on the inside.  I guess I'm not as smart as I think I am.  A plate loaded plate curler?  I never thought of it that way but awesome, now I can plate curl in my apartment.  Thanks again.

JD

Ironmind: "One of Hermann Goerner's many mind-boggling feats of strength involved stacking nine large bricks crosswise on one end of another brick. Sliding his four fingers under the other end of the bottom brick, Hermann then lifted the 40-kg affair clear of the table"

3Crusher: "The stacker can also be envisioned as a plate loaded version of a plate curl held in the static position with your lower arm parallel to the ground."

So I take it Ironmind forgot to mention that Goerner put his thumb on top of the brick, and not only his four other fingers underneath. Is that correct?

Guest JD79

You are correct Solan.  I guess they just figured that you would figure it out.  Being the ding dong I am, I was putting my hand inside the device.  Another good reason for them to include picture instructions with all their products, or at least for the ones I buy.

JD

Guest woody36

JD,

What length is the stacker,presumably you can

only put small plates on/how much weight can it take

thanks Woody.

Guest JD79

The Stacker is 8" long.  With a 10lb standard exercise plate you have around 2.75" of space for your thumb on top.  If this is not enough then you could use 5lb plates and then you get around 3.5".  I loaded mine with 5 10lb standard plates and there looked to be room for 4 or 5 more.  So you can use some significant weight.  If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

JD