Millennium Dumbbell Lift

kimwood

To whom it may concern,

Recently, myself, along with Dr. Ken and kathy Leistner from Long Island, NY, Janet and Steve Balwin from Memphis Tennessee, and Roger LaPointe from Detroit , Michigan, witnessed John Wood lift one of the Millennium Dumbbells I purchased from Steve Gardener in England off the ground. I have seen him do this eight or ten times without warming up; the highest lift was about 6 inches off the ground. I was an NFL strength coach for 29 years. I helped start Nautilus with Arthur Jones. Pete Brown, Gary Jones and myself started the Hammer Strength Corporation. I have been lifting since 1958. I have been fortunate enough to see many of the great lifters perform, Norb Schemansky, Tommy Kono, Clyde Emerich, Ken Patera etc... I am 58 years old. I do not wear glasses.

Word is bond.- Kim Wood

Just the other day I was wondering what progress John is making on the MB! Knowing his penchant for succeeding and then talking, I figured he was getting it off the floor.

Too bad you couldn't come up with decent witnesses, Kim! :D

Congrats, John! Your name is on a very easy to scan list.

is that the same Wood shown db snatching 140 at Dr. Ken's?

Yes that would be the same Wood.

John, great work on a world class feat man.

I would call it an exclusive lift rather than world class, as the Millenum dumbbell is as rare as hen's teeth. :cool

Ugh, I don't think we need to start down the "world class claim?" road here... Pictures/vid would sure be cool, but let's not get too pissy for it until someone is claiming Full Deadlift.

Kim, was this the same lifting that was done nearly a month ago reported by Steve Baldwin on the GripBoard on May 3rd?

Or, yet another lifting session?

Folks,

If you can do it, you can do it. Every time John comes home he does it three or four times every workout. No warm up, no tilt. Big Deal. I DO have photos of him doing this. I'm not going to post them until he stands up with it.

Strong men are strong men, too much is made on your board about records and proof. There's too much talk on your board. The fellow from Britain is silly. Everybody should focus on working hard. What you do is what you do. Integrate strength training onto your life. Be a man. Word is Bond. -Kim Wood

Strong men are strong men, too much is made on your board about records and proof.

There are very good reasons for this and it actually sets this board apart from most on the Internet. On the Internet, everyone is a strong man and claims of strength feats are about as common as the sun coming up in the morning. Anyone can make a claim on the net. Talk is cheap and the Internet makes it even cheaper! :)

• Like 1

davekline: If you're trying to prove some kind of point, don't. :rolleyes You're the big unknown here, not the Woods. You wanna poke and prod until Rule 4 has to be invoked, don't you. Eh, now I'm being inflammatory, sorry. Not trying to start a fight, lets just keep the feat and who did it in perspective. We'll have video and pics when he succeeds at the feat, not fails. Yes I know that breaking it off the ground is a huge accomplishement. But for the sake of perspective, it's just a progress report.

Edited by CMunger

Folks,

If you can do it, you can do it. Every time John comes home he does it three or four times every workout. No warm up, no tilt. Big Deal. I DO have photos of him doing this. I'm not going to post them until he stands up with it.

Strong men are strong men, too much is made on your board about records and proof. There's too much talk on your board. The fellow from Britain is silly. Everybody should focus on working hard. What you do is what you do. Integrate strength training onto your life. Be a man. Word is Bond. -Kim Wood

The fellow from Britain has a name. It's Steve Gardener. This board requires proof - photos and video according to the rules.

If and I mean if a video is forthcoming I'll be among the first to post congrats and email John the same. Without it - nothing. I'm still waiting on images of the '3rd man' Joel Sward - 6 months later nothing. Even six inches of the floor is good.

As for the tilt. I tell you what I tell EVERYONE else (please feel free to look back through posts). If John Wood can be included in the list of those that have succeeded I wont care if he lifted it by the globe - he'll be one of just three men (four if Joel can eventually be included) and AGAIN it's not for others who lift nothing by comparison to decide how it should be lifted - level/tilted I don't care just pull it.

I obey this sites rules re proof and I follow the 'rules' others lay down for me with grippers and challenge bars - please do the same and remember it Steve Gardener. Thank you.

Good points, Steve. Very reasonable. I guess my reply in that light would be something along the lines of "OK, so it's not a certifiable accomplishment, but it's sure nice to know that John's getting some air time on it, and might just get it to full deadlift down the road."

I hate secrecy. I think it's cool that info is being shared. It does get messy when the subjectivity of "believability" gets involved, "in-crowd" etc. John's resume of past accomplishments makes this absolutely believable development. Some Joe Schmo who just joined up and no one knows doesn't have the same benefit. So like I said it gets messy, but only if people make it messy.

Like I said, my thing is that I appreciate the info, and I think it's great that we can all find out what people are accomplishing rather than having to either wait for video, or "Be at blank and blank and you'll see amazing things for yourself" or "You should have been at blank and blank, it was amazing. You'll have to go next year and see amazing things." BS. Just spill the beans already.

Edited by CMunger

Don't get me wrong. I neither doubt John or Kim Woods word - I fully believe the lift has been done and will be done. However, Kim is a great collector (he must be he brought several MDB's) and knows full well the importance of historical accuracy when it comes to world class lifts. He is, I beleive, very familar with Joe Roark's efforts and should be the last to full prey to talking but not showing.

I suspect his pride as a father and friend to his son John is what prompted his post and his pride in John's efforts is rightly placed but he paid myself and Alan Radley a great deal of money for the dumbbells, he knows of history and so can do me an honor by one not calling me silly, ignoring the board he posted on's rules and forgetting how many before, from history, have made great and grand claims but never provided proof.

Even though we 'know' Paul Anderson made a great back lift - it was never weighed and even though we know he could squat did he squat 1200 lbs? I can lift the MDB and have proved it, I think John can, or will do so - but has not yet proved it.

Lift weights, work hard, pay no attention to lists or to "history" especially strength history.

Never suffer fools or silly people. Question all rules.

Word is Bond. -Kim Wood

Dear oh dear. I was hoping for better. How sad. :cry

Still then by reading your post I see no mention of 'post on a site with strict rules on world class feats of strength but ignore said rules', or 'insult anyone I don't agree with'. Can I take it if ''history'' and ''strength history'' means nothing to you - within the Iron game - that you'll be selling your considerable collection which was brought at some expense.

It's kind of a shame because I have spoken to Kim in person and while he has never suffered fools gladly (ever I should think) and has passed this on to John I did hope that he would have a sense of his place in the grand scheme of things (as mentioned in his initial post) and indeed if, as per another post 'if you can do it, you can do it - big deal' why bother posting it here in the first place.

I suspect we weren't meant to question his 'word' - how daring of us!!

Kim, if you'll allow me, when you feel up to it and rightly so as per another of my posts, please allow yourself a moment to lower yourself down to the level of us mer mortals and provide us, please, with a nice photo - I did.

Well let me state for the record, I don't know who Kim Wood or John Wood are.

Dr. Ellington Darden in his book "High Intensity Strength Training" (ISBN 0-399-51770-7) mentions a strength coach of the Cincinnati Bengals by the name of Kim Wood in the chapter on hands and forearms. This book was published in 1992, so I don't know if the person mentioned is still a coach for the Bengals or if Tim Krumrie, a deffensive tackle who's name is also mentioned along with pictures, still plays football. I don't know if the person Dr. Darden talks about is the same person who is causing such a stir.

I do know that the names Wood, Kim, and John are rather comman. It is entirely possible that we are talking about different people. For example, take the names William and Smith, both are exceptionally comman. There is an actor/rap artist named William Smith. There is also a member of the Kenedy family named William Smith who was the deffendent in a televised rape trial back in 1991-1992. These people, though they share the same names, have absolutely nothing in comman.

Mr. Davekline

These are all the same people. All connected or related. Tim Krumrie no longer plays with the Bengals where Kim was his strength coach for his entire career. John is Kim's son. Dr. Darden is associated with with Kim or would at least know of him and Kim I'm almost positive knows of Darden. To what extent I don't know.

Kim,

Questioning rules is fine; following rules is better.

I have full confidence that John did what you said he did, but when he makes the full deadlift, please post the photo as you indicated you would- it will be a sight!

But if you really mean that we should pay no attention to strength history, then when that photo is posted, and becomes part of strength history, are you saying we should pay no attention to it? Perhaps what you meant was pay no attention to unproven strength history?

In regard to Anderson's backlift, I defy anyone to prove to me that he made a backlift on June 12, 1957. The highest backlifts for which I can find proof are those involving 4 to 6 men sitting on a 200 lb table.

In the hunch section of my brain, I foresee a full deadlift with the MB at the Arnold Classic next year. :D