Horne Closes Jubinville Gripper

Roark

On September 2, 2001 David Horne became

the second man, so far as is known, to close

one of Ed Jubinville's grippers. Ed had about

100 of them manufactured; the company, now

headed by Ed's son has no more grippers in

stock, and no plans to reproduce the item.

I have been waiting for David to mention his

accomplishment, then realized he might think

it sounded boastful, so without his permission I

am mentioning it. (Hope you don't mind, David).

Richard Sorin was the first person to close the

J-gripper, which has a closing requirement some-

where in the neighborhood of the #3 CofC; of

course, I have never been in either of those

neighborhoods, so Richard or David will have to

be your tour guide for this very rare gripper.

One of the few things rarer than the J-gripper is

locating anyone with a bad word about Ed.

Anyone know where the gripper measures? From what I have heard, they are a beast. Definitely not comparable to an average #3!  Non-knurled handles too?

Richard Sorin's Jubinville was tested by PDA at 428 pounds-inch (See Number 19), which is above the average for a #3.  Wow, if there was no knurling that would make it very difficult.  

Thanks, Joe.

I have a nice collection of grippers, some 60+. Some beautiful and rare items such as the Jubinville, Iron Man (non knurled), Sandow, Dryer, Benny Leonard, 30's Terry's, etc, etc. They all have an area in my office allocated  for them. About 70% of them are used, with the weak ones being ideal for the small juniors. My youngest son Alex who is 9, has now graduated from the Henry Cooper grippers to the Terrys now, and loves them.

Anyway, I've kind of got off the subject. But they are great fun. The Jubinville gripper was given to me by Joe Roark for my grip memorabilia collection. It is a little bit tougher than the strongest #3 I've closed, which incidentally is on it's way to PDA to be calibrated. Not for any particular glory mission, but I wanted two grippers from PDA that will be tougher than that one. Although I do have 3 other grippers that are harder than this. These are #4 Ironmind, 1970's Super Ironman (no knurling), and a Super Ironman, which incedentally I closed whilst steadying my wrist with my other hand, the other day. Of course it's not official, but it's there very soon. Hopefully the PDA grippers poundages can fall between the two Ironman grippers, and between the #4 and the non knurled Ironman.

David

I don't view it as a glory mission at all. I think it's great actually.  Gives us all a target to train for.  Something a bit more meaningful.  As Tom Black put it into perspective, what's being done today will help clarify things for those that come in the future.  So, the "myth" aspect or speculation doesn't have to be the norm.  :)

The last Jubinville gripper I closed in John Brookfields presence shattered and wounded my left hand where we had trouble stopping the bleeding. This was in the early 90 s and it now lies in my mini museum.They were welded at the handle and spring junction very rough construction AND dangerous. Never will I try one again. I think... what if that was my eye?...RS

David,

Care to part with any of your grippers?  Give me a shout!

Sybersnott