Inverted Grippers

David Horne

Have just started a new programme in preparation for the armwrestling in Poland, and have included an exercise with the CoC grippers, in which we hold them in a closed position whilst they are inverted in the hand (upside down). This really simulates the positions of the index and middle fingers in armwrestling, as it opens the digits in a similar manner and feels quite alike to the hand pressures on set up at a table. Luke and Mark, have you ever used this exercise to aid you?

Also, for anybody else, it seems to be a slightly harder way to close the gripper, and it might aid ability to close the gripper the right way round. Incidentally, I closed the #3 in this style tonight and held it for about 5 seconds.

David

Hmmmm..........That's strange Dave as I found the inverted method a bit easier when closing the grippers..only the #1 mind, just starting on the #2.

Best of luck in Poland.

Cheers

Paul.

Guest Luke Reimer

David, it's been awhile since I've seriously trained with inverted grippers, and I think my way was a little different than yours. I was using something like a pinch grip, except with the near handle seated against my palm instead of my thumb tip (I also did inverted gripper pinches with my thumb tip but this never got to be a prioritized routine). I get the impression you are gripping AROUND the far handle with your fingertips, i.e. a normal crushing grip except with inverted handles. Now that you mention it, I think your way might be better. The way I was doing it looked promising because it started with a more open finger position and direct fingertip pressure (as you would experience when armwrestling from the high grip), but now I think the lines of force were all wrong. More recently I have been training my forefinger isometrically (mainly against my other hand in various ways) for this armwrestling position. However, I think that your inverted squeezes might be a good complement to my isometrics (or the other way around).  Let me know what else you find!

Regards,

Luke

Luke,

I know exactly what you mean. I wanted a tough hold, primarly against my index and middle finger, and this inverted hold seems to fit the bill. I do a lot of pinching so I have no need to do that on the gripper as well. I'm going to even try strap holds (as mentioned to me by Simon Lodge), by turning my hand upside down. It may be too much trouble to get it set up, but I'll have a go.

Paul,

Everyone has tried the inverted grip here, and no one found it easier than a normal hold. But it looks like you are different, and of course everyone has different strengths. Good luck with the #2.

David

Guest simon lodge

Hi Davidhorne

I had a go, sorry i still cant put them bloody thing's down,  it was ok with # 1 holding a 2.5 kilo inverted was fine tried with # 2 closed it but not enought pressure to hold on to the weight mabey it time to have a rest i will try again next saturday.

simon

Simon,

Put your toys back till the next play day! Anyway, how did the hold feel? Easy to set up, or not? Remember only 2 times per week, max.

David

Guest simon lodge

Davidhorne

It felt quite easy to set up the gripper with doing strap holds with the inverted grip.

I called Joe kinney today he was very helpful and gave me some good tips on getting # 3 closed lets see what happenes over the next six months he is  a very determind person when it comes to training with a plate loader the thought of doing 50 to 60 reps ( negertives) sound very painfull with around 385 on it.

im after his video if some one is selling one please let me know.

Dave my toys let me play.

Simon