• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• EricMilfeld

• Mikael Siversson

• amaury

You will know if you are not doing it right if the nail Gendarmes visit your apartment!

Stop!!! I can't catch my breath... :laugh

As a non-bender, my guess would be that such a distinction is not even possible to judge just based on what's been written here. ???

It would be hard for a judge to tell if someone is pushing into the ends of a straight nail. Although it is hard for some of the self-appointed comedians here to realise, I am far more interested in bending techniques than in your personalities.

hmmm...i will probably catch some heat for this, but i think it needs to be said. i mostly bend JB style, sometimes underhand, sometimes terminator.....IT DOESN'T MATTER. JUST BEND THE FREAKIN STEEL! everyone is different, so they will have their own preferences........i bet if half the people staring trouble over this tried pats or JB's stunts, the only way they could accomplish them is with a hydraulic press. take up a style, perfect it, conquer steel, and then shut the F*** up.

Mikael is a true HERO! :bow

Some lack both a personality and a sense of humor. The rest of us are characters who just enjoy grip and bending inspite of it's deadly serious nature. :tongue

Are we bending the rules or folding them?

I have to ask, what make anyone think that pushing on the end of the bar is the reason that the technique is effective? If I were to put a red nail in a vise and only apply pressure to the ends of the nail ( in a straight line) I dont think I could ever get the nail to fold.

Isn't it more likely that by moving your hands out you get more leverage with the torque your wrists are applying to the nail? Seems pretty reasonable to me that that is why it works.

I was a little embarassed when the gripboard raced to change the rules because some people thought that a tea towel was helping to bend a red nail. (Dont remember the gripboard liking the strossen rule changes mid stream) Seems like the rule change was accepted before any proof was made that there was in fact an advantage. Now since that rule is in place and Eric can still bend the hell out of the reds it would seem that the towel had nothing to do with his success and the rule change was not needed. Perhaps those who dont like the technique can wait until they can bend the sub 7" reds using the technique to call the technique into question.

I use one towel to bend and depending on the length of what I am bending some of it hangs over. So before you call the towel police on me realize that I bend for fun and I think I will keep it that way. I bend underhanded, and now I wonder if I am a folder :D I am certain I dont care... If only I could fold a red :D

Those of you knocking over reds like you do are amazing, :bow and an ispiration to me to keep at it until I can too. :rock

Obviously some techniques are easier/more effective, since they are used more frequently. If it, over time, will show that the terminator/eric style of unbraced bending is the most effective, so? Just bend bigger steel!

What's the beef anyway? That it ceases to be a show of wrist strength?

I personally can only kink using variations of the vertical style. Overhand or underhand make my wrists feel like they are going to snap.

I agree however that the crushdown is mainly pec strength. But nevertheless it is still a matter of supporting the bend with your wrists. There is NO way of removing the wrists/grip from a bend. Literally. :cool

Why not simply distinguish between the different techniques, in a relevant manner?

I would suggest the only two categories that seem reasonable to me:

1. above waist and below chest level (i.e. slim style, or similar, removing the possibility of overly relying on upperbody strength)

2. above waist level (i.e. overhand, underhand, vertical with overhand/underhand crushdown)

Edited by nagual

I was a little embarassed when the gripboard raced to change the rules because some people thought that a tea towel was helping to bend a red nail.

The "GripBoard" did not race to do anything. It was David's challenge bar rules. He started it and as I understand it will end soon.

Only one person is concerned about the rules and criticising the way people (one in particular) are bending. Very, very few people have ever even bent nails in a competition. It is a minutely trivial concern.

Which is why you spend an awful lot of time reading and responding to my posts. A bit of a contradiction Old Guy. Why not just ignore my postings?

I read all post even yours. Why do you not post on something else other than Eric and his bending technique? I read your posts in the vain hope of learning something new.

Since we're talking about the whole folding/bending thing here, I was thinking what the hell do you call it when you bend long bars cause it sure doesn't resemble "bending" like you do for nails. Is scroll work and coiling now to be called "wrapping"? Behind the neck, on the head, in the mouth, across the thigh, behind the back, I mean they can't all be bending, they're just too different!

There's unbraced bending, and there's braced bending. Either way the steel will deviate from a straight line by the use of force, also know as bending.

man all this again. I though it was agreed upon that Bending was about bending metal, changing its shape, feeling the bar resist you and fail NOT a test of wrist strength. Some styles stress the wrist more then others, but regardless one must have a solid level of hand strength to be succesfully bending at all.

I like Belding nails, but I also enjoy fonding them aswell.

If belding and fonding are about making steel submit to you, and there is certain styles that allows one to do that more successfully, then so be it.