NOW I get it . . .

Guest DavidHW

Guest DavidHW

After closing my No. 1 CoC grippers after I received them in the mail last week, I ordered the No. 2. It arrived today. Took it out of the bag, and got it to within 1/8 inch. Huh, I thought. I just need to go warm-up, stretch the fingers, chalk up, and all that. 40 minutes later, not only had  I not succeeded in closing the #### thing, but I couldn't get it any closer than I had on the first try. Total embarrassment.

Lesson? Like everyone says, treat these things like a max attempt lift; your first try may be your best (or last) for the day.  I *will* close the No. 2 soon, just definitely not today. :-)

Best,

David

Dont worry man.  I'm the same way.  I get one shot at the really hard grippers.  If I miss it the first time, there is no second chance.

JD

I seem to react differently.  I can't crush a straw first thing.  First time I tried the #2, I had warmed up with the Trainer two sets, waited 20-30 minutes, then did my usual 3 sets of 5 with the #1.  Of course, the #2 arrived in the mail an hour later, and I wasn't waiting 2 days to try it.  I closed it 3 times!  An hour after that, I closed it 4x!  Two days later I skipped my normal workout so I could compete with my brother on the #2.  I did a tiny warm up, then tried.  I could barely close it once.  I believe I need a really good warm up, then a rest period before I attempt any maximums.

Don't give out, and Don't give in !!!

Guest DavidHW

I wonder how much of this is dependent upon fast/slow twitch muscle fiber presence in the hands. For instance, I'm one of those guys who, say, can do X-poundage for a 1RM on bench, but maybe can only do 80%(x)-poundage for 5RM; not a lot of slow-twitch fiber for that exercise. I don't see why grippers would be any different. Some of us might be able to pound off 50 reps with a No. 1, and not close the No. 2 immediately, while others might barely get the No. 1 closed for 5, and then be able to close the No. 2 for one rep immediately out of the bag. Comments?

Guest StrongerthanArne

I always perform better on the CoC grippers if try them after a regular workout with weights. It is not a big difference though. With a warm up comprising a couple of sets on the #1 I can do 7-9 reps on the #2, whereas after my squat+pec+triceps workout I would be able to do 9-11 reps on the #2. Another difference is that each one of the reps in the first scenario feels extremely heavy whereas after a regular workout with weights the first few reps on the #2 feel really easy.