Pinch Gripping

Guest Enigma

Guest Enigma

Pinch gripping. Something I really wanna work on. However, im pretty new to the grip training stuff and im still learning good ways to train.

My question is, what are some good ways to train the pinch grip? I know of taking to plates and having the smooth sides face out and pinch gripping it that way. However, I can do two 10's easily with one hand, but have yet to be able to do two 25's with one hand.

What are some other good ways to train pinch gripping? Anything would be of great help.

Thanks guys,

Jason

Guest Scott Clayton

Jason,

I have found that the best way to develop the pinch grip is with holds.  Take a set of tens in each hand, and hold them as long as you can.   I like to do holds of about 30-45 seconds to build strength.

Try pinching 3 ten pound plates.

Every once in awhile, grab a set of 25's, pick them up with 2 hands, and let go with one.  Try to let them fall as slow as possible.  

Occasionally try holding 2 35's with both hands.  I'd say that this would do you the most good.  The width of the 35's will make the 25's seem easy.

Add weight whenever you can.  If then 10's are easy, grab 35's with both hands.  If you can find 10's that are unusually wide, try them.  If you can find narrow 25's, work with them until you can do a normal 25.

And keep at it.  You can easily work your pinch grip twice a week.  With a little hard work, you'll be pinching 35's by September.

The other advice I would add is pinch grip blocks - either one block of wood (or whatever material you like) or two smaller blocks that can be pinched together to simulate trying to pinch two plates together. The advantage of this approach is that you can add weight in small increments for a long period of time.

If you have access to a set of thick handled bars/dumbells these also seem to help the pinch.

You can also read Nick's Tips on the GripPage - I found the advice on squeezing with the hand as well as the fingers particularly useful.

Chris McCarthy