Dave Ostlund Bends The Red

Slayer

Awesome work you guys.

The Minnessotta gang seam to have a great strongman and grip community,which is why prs are continually being set :bow

Did Matt and Brian do any bending.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Ostlund

• terminator

• EricMilfeld

• bballdad

I knew the Red had to come soon after seeing Dave bend the bolts he bent last week. Dave trains with more intensity and focus than anyone else I've ever trained with. Congrats to all of you guys! And keep in mind folks that Dan P. is 16 years old (soon to be 17?)

Gary, I suck at bending and I'm nursing an elbow and wrist injury right now anyway...

BC.

Thanks for all the replies. All the training advice and videos I've seen on this board has helped my bending tremendously. As far as how long it took me to get to the Red, my first bend was about a year ago at this time. I tried some IM nails that Matt and BC brought to the boiler room. I was able to get the blue with considerable effort and then, not knowing any better, thought maybe I could do the Red. Needless to say, it didn't budge. I bent sporadically from then until about late Feb this year. Once I got a 220k bar I started getting serious about bending and since then have bent about 2 or 3 times a week and spent hundreds of dollars on nails, bolts, and stock. I'm an addict and am going to continue bending. My next long term goal is to get a 6"x5/16" Grade 5 bolt. I don't know how ridiculous this is, but I intend to find out. I'm looking forward to the bending party this sunday.

I'm also going to make a prediction that in the next year there will be at least 10 more Red benders.

Just one of the really exciting aspects of all of this is the fact that David is tremendously gifted AND he's super motivated! There's not much that seems impossible for you Mr. Ostlund.

And I agree, the Red will be conquered by more of us, very soon. :rock

Edited by EricMilfeld

Outstanding guys.

Dan...I've been watching your progress on your training journal, and knew this would be soon. But, damn your progress was quick :blink

Sweet :rock

I don't know how ridiculous this is, but I intend to find out.

Aren't these the exact words spoken by pretty much everyone who has paved the way by breaking records and acheiving crazy feats?

thaibox I think you meant to say you have been watching dave's bending journal. I do not have one yet but was actually planning to make one today.

Congratulations Dave, Jeff and Dan! So Dave, how long from your first Grade 5 to the RED?

Pat has/can probably bend anything he can bend with minimum padding also.

I think Pat and Steve use the ironmind pads for alot of there bending or used too.

It will be interesting to see how much of a difference to most people how there bending suffers once David brings out the 2"x2" leather cloths,but i think given time most peoples hands will adapt,i cut up one of my wifes old leather handbags,okay it was mine really :D Lets just say my hands didn,t know what hit em lol,and i aint exactly got pussy hands having worked on building sites most of my life.Like the grippers and KTA the hands need to adapt again,i suspect that PAT and a few others have always been bending with minimum padding thats why he is able to bend anytime,his hands have super adapted,but this aint the only reason why hes top dog,but there are lots now nipping at his heels :D

This is no disrespect to ERICS bends as i myself have been useing lots of cloth,but looking over the recent posts on bending wrapping etc,i do feel that bending with

something like the ironmind pads or davids soon to be leather pads will be bending at its purest,I remember being at the 2002 british nail bending champs and 69 year old BEN REID gave a nail bending demonstration useing only tiny leather pads and i think at 69 this man new a thing or 2 about bending,its just took me all this time now to realise it,i probably wont be able to bend as often or with stronger materials but hopefully in the long run when my hands compensate it will make me a better bender as thats what we are all after,wether it be for fun,competition,what ever :D

I've done it using the IM pads alone, not something I like doing all the time. Dave should be applauded for his minimalist approach.

I have tried with 2' *2' leather pads, and I have to agree with Gazza, its bloody HORRIBLE! very painful for me at least.

I have started using lately 2 leather cylinders (about 2.5' inches long) that I put on my nails so that they only just cover the ends of the nails (i.e. adding no leverage, as they are pretty solid). pretty cool. you guys may want to try that if you haven't. also very practical: easily put on and off.

Edited by the swiss

I like the IM pads myself. It's a consistent way to make sure all are using the same equipment.

Insane bend!! That looked way too easy!

I thought for a minute that his hands were going to break off at the wrist during the underhand portion of the bend! That looked painful man, but a great bend!