Culmination Of The Evolution

EricMilfeld

You guys have fun making rules and such. I'm just going to bend.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• austinslater

• Mikael Siversson

• EricMilfeld

• David Horne

You guys have fun making rules and such. I'm just going to bend.

Probably the best post on this whole thread :bow

You guys have fun making rules and such.  I'm just going to bend.

Probably the best post on this whole thread :bow

Finally

;)

T

God bless you Clay

Bending with 2" x 2" leather pads sounds fun and I'd like to give it a try but I have a few questions.

What kind of leather and how thick is it?

Also, how stiff? I've seen wide variances in leather stiffness.

Is there a good place to buy these or do you need to have someone make them?

You guys have fun making rules and such.  I'm just going to bend.

How true...

However, this also means one should not be trying to certify or compete in a contest that has specific bending rules. Otherwise, you may find yourself out of the competition. Unless you follow the rules.

Kind of like squatting half way down and then going to a meet and expecting to do well and you bomb due to depth. And bombing, I can tell you, is no fun at all. :)

Gaster,

Use an old weightlifting belt and cut the 2" x 2" pads off this-it's perfect. Any thicker and you won't be able to hold the bar properly, and thinner and it may not protect enough. My hands are fine today after last nights bending with the leather pads. I also think for strength shows it will look great, as I was told last night that it was excellent to actualy see the steel bend!

David

I just wanted to add that I am in no way putting down people who are climbing the challenge bar ladder or who take this very seriously. My hat is off to you guys who are pushing yourselves to the next level by getting certified on these bars. I am anxiously awaiting my own challenge bars to get here sometime next week, but certification is not on the menu.

Second addendum: the leather I use is 10oz vegetable tan. It is thicker than I need, but it helps protect my hands. Most of the time now when I am bending something, I get it to 90 degrees and then finish it off with just the leather pads because I like to see and feel it bending as well!

Edited by ClayEdgin

One last question guys. Assuming you all are right and that allowing that pushing into the nail brings too much chest into play. That would then seem that the stronger the bench press and thus the chest and shoulders, the better the bender right? I can out bench Eric by quite a bit right now. Probably due to his torn pec, but regardless i'm stronger. Wouldn't that seem that I would have better results using this method?

I don't. By a lot!

Just my 2 cents.

W

Why is the arguement being made about too much chest being brought into play? Wasnt this the same thing Brookfield said and everyone got mad about?

I'm an amateur and weak bender at best, so I probably shouldn't talk, but I do have a strong upper body, and even using all of my pec/shoulder strength, etc., I'm a weak bender. Also, I find the double overhand takes the least advantage of my upper body strength compared to Eric "bender" Godfrey's style. I have long arms so that along with other biomechanical factors may also come into play.

I guess it's like JB says, if you can't connect the (upper body) strength to the hands with strong wrists, it's useless for bending.

It is almost as if some people do not want to be at a disadvantage, because their upperbody strength is lacking, and they want to limit things to hand and wrist strength as far as possible.

Make no mistake about it. I have very strong pectorals, far stronger relatively speaking than my wrists. You guys don't pay attention to the details in my argument, do you? My objection was against starting the crush down basically at almost 180 degrees (i.e., straigth bar).

Why does it matter whether you use pectoral strength to crush it from the beginning (no kink just straight into the double overhand) or if you kink it first and then use the pecs to crush it? Either way the bend is hardly a world class feat of wrist strength. If we are trying to swing nail bending back to wrist strength than people need to bend slim style or double overhand at the waist. Kinking it certainly requires some wrist strength but I'd bet people can kink A LOT tougher steel with the Terminator method than with the Slim method or double overhand at the waist. For example, can any of the Red benders put as big of a kink or even a kink at all in the Red Nail using the Slim style or double overhand at the waist?

You do it your way, and we'll do it our way. Very few people compete in grip competitions anyway. They prefer informal gatherings with their grip friends.

I had to edit a couple posts. It's gone on long enough. No need to get personal.

I relayed to Heath tonight that bending is going thru some growing pains just like gripers and all the long threads we've had on setting (dead issue now) and how "hard" are grippers, etc. :cool