Correction On Tom Inch Bio

Sybersnott

I like to set the record straight.  I can't remember who said that Tom Inch lived to be 90 years of age, or about that.  

In the book, "Sons Of Sampson, vol. 1" by David Webster, Tom Inch was born in 1881 and died about 1960.  If you do the math, he would be about 79 when he passed.  Tom Inch is one of my favorites to read about, and there is info. about him in David Horne's great publication, "Iron Grip".  

Just wanted to set the record straight about Tom Inch.

Guest InchDisciple

He did not die around 1960 he died in 1970 aged almost 90 . I was 20 when he died . I am from England and lived there at the time of his death . I read about his passing in Health and Strength a British publication .

Shortly before his death a news program showed him in

his backyard doing feats of grip strength and muscle control .

Inchdisciple,

Can you remember which Health and Strength you read about Inch passing? Have you got it?

Also can you remember the television programme that Inch appeared on?

Joe Roark,

Can you shed any light on this discrepancy?

David

Guest InchDisciple

I do not have any of my old Health & Strength magazines . I lost them and a lot of other stuff when my outdoor storage shed was vanadalized back in the seventies .The article said that he had passsed and few people cared . It also talked about the possiblity of some kind of award trophy dedicated to his memory . As for the TV program , it was one of those programs that used to follow the news at around 6 pm. I don't recall the name, or if it was BBC or ITV .

InchDisciple,

From the book, verbatim..... "Inch was made Health & Strength League President in 1960 and died soon afterwards but his wife asked magazine editors not to publish obituaries".

Contact David Webster.  His book, his facts.

Guest InchDisciple

His facts ? what does that mean ? People don't make their own facts . Just because Webster states tht Inch died in 1960 doesn't prove that he did . Also there are such things as mistakes and printing errors .

It is true that inspite of Inch having an incredibly long career that little is known of him . There are very few photos of him . I have not seen one of him lifting his dumbbell even though he did so in public for over 40 years .

Inchdisciple,

As I said before..."After Inch died, David Webster who knew him well, went to his house to salvage some of the valuable material and information for posterity. Naturally he left it a while so relatives could get over the bereavement. Unfortunately this was a miistake as Inch's wife had it all destroyed - everything." Everyone makes mistakes, but a decade is rather big. I'll chat to him soon, and I'll do a bit of checking myself at the Records Office.

As you said yourself we need facts. But the problem with the case you've brought forward is that you don't present any.

David

Guest InchDisciple

Nobody has presented any "facts'' so far . All we have is that Webster's book says Inch died in 1960 , and that I am saying it was 1970 . Only official records can prove anything . Not what Webster or anybody else says .

I will be checking this out.

The piece that I included was an article written be David W. for Iron Grip mag. I've also got the Health and Strength mag where Inch is made H & S league president, and hundreds , no thousands more mags. I want to get to the bottom of this, and I will.

David Webster's knowledge and love for this subject is incredible, he's still out there jetting around to events when most people his age have got there feet up in front of the television. He is the greatest strength historian without a doubt. It's always easy to knock someone when you have never published anything yourself.

David

Guest InchDisciple

I am not knocking anyone . Webster is the most knowledgable strength historian in the world . He goes back over 60 years . He has seen it all met them all . He has written many books and articles . He has been a

weightlifter , strand puller , hand balancer, judge , official . You name it he has done it . I have been aware of Webster for as long as I have been aware of Inch . I am only disputing the year of Inch's death . .I have no ulterior motives for being here . I am not a troll . I do train , including grip . I have nothing to sell and do not try to make money from other people on here .

Nobody, to my knowledge, has ever said that you were trying to make monet out of us. Anyway, I have been on the phone to David Webster tonight, who said that Thomas Inch died in 1963. It was not, after all, a typing error. As has been previously mentioned, he went down to visit Inch's family, after leaving what he has just told me was about a year. His wife prohibited the publication of the details of his death in any magazine. I also went through many Health and Strengths this morning, from 1960 to July 1962. Inch was a regular writer of articles and the Health and Strength league message until November 17th 1960, where nothing appears under his name afterward. I will look through the magazines beyond July 1962. I will also be going down to the records office, and will hopefully find the exact date.

I'm not being personal about this Inchdisciple, but as far as history is concerned, I'm a perfectionist. If you had had some concrete evidence to substantiate your claims initially, then there would have been no need to delve into this any deeper.

David

Guest InchDisciple

Webster saying that Inch died in !963 is not concrete evidence . It is recollection . An official record of Inch's death would be concrete evidence . You may like history , but do you really believe the lifts of the oldtimers such as Goerner  ? Photographs have been possible since the 1840 ,s  I have yet to see any photo of Goerner lifting , and few of any of the oldtimers lifting . Mostly they are posing in their pics . Old time strongmen are in the same category as pro wrestlers circus performers and magicians . A lot of what was done was showmanship and stunts . So take the claims made for Sandow, Saxon, Dinnie , Goerner etc. with a grain of salt . It is fun to read about however .

I am not trying to make money from people on here , but you are . Strossen at least desn't try to ingratiate himself with people on here . We don't need if you want my advice buy my magazine on here . I did not start this thread either Sybersnott did .