Looks Like A Logistics Change Is In Order

Bill Piche

The MMG2 from Dave Morton appears to be MIA.

Looks like to cover potential calibration needed to match existing MMG's should they get lost, the USPS shipping fee will have to be increased so that the gripper can be insured for about 250-300 dollars. That way, it covers the expenses needed to get multiple test grippers made and calibration to match existing MMG2's.

Not sure how much it is yet for that level of insurance.

Comments?

How long ago was it mailed?

It probably would not be a bad idea to have a spare or two made up

in advance. Be sure to have a receipt stating the cost of the custom

gripper. The USPS is a pain in the butt with claims.

When I was dealing on Ebay, there were times when Priority Mail

took a week to get to my buyers. Not often, but it happened.

The tracking number would be borked during that time, then

"poof" it would arrive.

T

Edited by tspinillo

We had 3 made of each. Thanks goodness.

We should always have two in hand.

For 50 bucks insurance, it costs about 1.35. My guess is 250 bucks would be 6.75. So, the total shipping two day would be about 4.00+6.75. Or, 11 bucks.

FWIW, I think the insurance on $250-300 is $4.20 according to the USPS website. The thing about collecting on the insurance money as far as I know is that you have to prove that the lost item was indeed worth that much. It may be hard to justify to the USPS that the item was worth that much.

Yes, the USPS is a pain on the claim. I've learned that

lesson.

When I was shipping more expensive items, I always used

UPS. They toss in $100.00 insurance automatically. Their

tracking is much better also. I don't know if UPS would be an

option for some of the members.

My local Staples ships with no surcharge here.

T

FWIW, I think the insurance on $250-300 is $4.20 according to the USPS website. The thing about collecting on the insurance money as far as I know is that you have to prove that the lost item was indeed worth that much. It may be hard to justify to the USPS that the item was worth that much.

We could have Warren write something up as a letter of proof for how much it is worth?

Either that or the gripboard members as a whole buck up to the bar to fund whatever it takes to test select an equivalent to the current 2 we have?

Warren's receipt should be good. As long as it's on business form etc.

The item description should state it is a custom made, calibrated gripper.

T

Yes, I was very pissed off when I lost 2 grippers in the mail that I insured. The post office manager was drunk, and then told me I needed proof that the items were worth $40.

I think that would be a fine idea. I don't see how a few bucks would break anybody. Do whatever it takes to keep the MMG process alive

There was no receipt. Jeff Peterson, please PM me on this for the future.

Looks like a "Confirmation of Delivery" number will need to

added to the return packages. ($.45)

At the very least it would aid the sending postoffice ( from the cert ) a chance to

track it down if the package was accidently sent to a different

zipcode than the gripper home base zipcode

At the very least it would aid the sending postoffice ( from the cert ) a chance to

I have used that in the past. It was pretty useless. Maybe you had better luck Rick?

Dave, are you going to track this thing down and beat on the PO?

How long ago was it sent fellas? I recent;y sent a gripper to Austin Slater in Washington and it took over a week.

-Jedd-

Yeah I would give it some time, Im betting it will show up. Ive had a couple of instances where it took longer then 2-3 days.

Bill-

I had some problems with mail getting "lost" with INzer. The delivery confirmation seemed to solve that problem.

After thinking about it further, I wouldn't be surprised if the mail was running especially slow this week, what with people mailing out their tax returns at the last minute. I talked to a lady at the post office today when I mailed some grippers out and she said that it always gets a little slow for a couple weeks but by end of the month it picks up again pretty quick.

QUOTE (zcor @ Apr 16 2004, 06:48 PM)

I have used that in the past. It was pretty useless. Maybe you had better luck Rick?

Actually over the years it has helped me 2 times to locate a misdirected

package, or should I say, helped the Postoffice locate a a misdirected

package. As Clay stated, sometimes even Priority can be slow..........

I say it is better to have the confimation of delivery # on the package

and not need it, than to need it and not have it on the package....

It's only 45 cents... Cheap cost for that little extra assurance or clues

to the whereabouts of a misdirected package...

Quit analyzing so much ya IN-GAH-NEER, and just do it :)

Maybe you should have the member that has certified and is sending

the gripper back, keep the confirmation of delivery # receipt to

help follow the gripper back to the homebase. ( incase it is needed, like now)

You should be able to take the tracking # tothe PO and they can tell you where it is. I sent PorkBone's BBE to Austin and it took forever, I had it tracked the whole time. There is also a limit on how long ithas to be missing, 60-90 days before you can file the claim.

I've also had really slow mail this week due to tax season, and the cheap delivery confirmation saved a package from getting lost once. It was sent in my business name, so the mailman didn't deliver it, and 2 weeks later, it hadn't gotten back to the shipper. I went to the P.O. and they were able to look it up on their computer and figure out exactly where it was. When we look it up via the Internet it doesn't show much, but apparently they are able to see a lot of detail. Just my $0.02.

I sent a package to Dave on March 10th. We had written it off as lost. On April 16th it arrived. I would not be surprised if the gripper is just slow in the mail. Dave's mail must go through the pony express and the horse isn't as young as it used to be. Damn horse needs a break every few miles.

I don't think it is lost yet, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it just takes 5 times longer than anyone would ever believe possible.

If it does indeed turn up missing, as someone who does want to try and certify in the near future, I'd be willing to pay a little extra to use a different carrier. Maybe UPS or FedEx?

If it does indeed turn up missing, as someone who does want to try and certify in the near future, I'd be willing to pay a little extra to use a different carrier. Maybe UPS or FedEx?

Part of the other issue....

FedEx is about 15 miles from me. :blink

Bill,

I'm pretty sure FedEx will drop by your home or office to pick it up:

https://www.fedex.com/PickupApp/login?locale=en_US

That would solve the distance problem. Also, you can open an account on their site that would automatically bill to your credit card or invoice you, and I think you save 10%, too.

Just an idea - since I'm nowhere near certifying, I'm just offering some info :)

Bill,

I'm pretty sure FedEx will drop by your home or office to pick it up:

https://www.fedex.com/PickupApp/login?locale=en_US

That would solve the distance problem. Also, you can open an account on their site that would automatically bill to your credit card or invoice you, and I think you save 10%, too.

Just an idea - since I'm nowhere near certifying, I'm just offering some info :)

Thanks.

This would not solve the potential hassle on the other end for sending back.

True - I was just trying to help you out. What you could do, though is have people pre-pay for the return shipping and send them a shipping label along with the MM Gripper. That way they could just drop by their nearest USPS P.O. (who accept FedEx packages), Office Depot, FedEx counter, or FedEx dropbox. That might make it simpler for them. Sort of the way NetFlix does it. Again, just my crazy ideas.