Archer pull

BarBender

If you know how to draw a bow like an archer, you should already be familiar with the hand position for this two-fingered lift.

The necessities for this lift is a thin object that does not bind the fingers and a means of placing a load on the thin object that doesn't excessively spread the fingers. Here is my setup. Slip a 16-penny nail through one eyelet of a short length of #12 jack chain. I use a six link length. Attach weight with a loading pin via a thin S-hook. I use a scrolled IronMind #1 white nail for an S-hook. I loaded thirty pounds on a loading pin and walked around with this setup without any apparent deformation on the jack chain. I suspect that 60 pounds could be easily supported by the chain but I haven't tried it yet.

Tom, have you tested your #12 jack chain? I suspect that the posted load limit is 40 percent to 50 percent (maybe less) of actual load limit. John Brookfield mentioned that #6 jack chain did not deform until he hanged 600 pounds from a length of it.

(Edited by BarBender at 2:49 pm on May 30, 2001)

BarBender

Thanks for the interesting idea: no doubt we'll be having a play with this in the not-too-distant future!

David