Pain in left hand

Guest todd_xxxx

Guest todd_xxxx

For awhile now, I have been having pain in the back of my left hand when using the grippers.  My strength doesn't seem to be less, but the pain keeps me from being able to close tougher grippers without a very extensive workout.  Even the trainer hurts so much I can barely close it.  If I do half a dozen sets with the trainer and soak my hands in hot water between every set and slowly go up the grippers, the pain goes away almost completely and I can finish my workout.  Anyone have any insight?  BTW, I can close the number 2 with my left hand, but not real consistently.  Maybe half the time.

Guest AghastGrip

I've had the same problem before, where either my hand or wrist would hurt when closing the grippers, but there would be no apparent strength loss. The only solution to this really is to let it heal and rest for awhile. I know it's hard not to touch the grippers when taking a "vacation" from them, but it's the only way your hand is going to recover! You don't want to continue training when there is pain, because you could possibly injure your hand further, which could cause an even longer setback in your training.

Good luck!

-Zack-

Guest kINGPIN

Aghastgrip is right.  you have to give the injury time to heal.  If you injured your knee you would'nt carry on squatting heavy and risk ruining your training career.  If you are on this board then grip work must be important to you so you cirtainly don't want to risk that.  Hade the grippers away for a while and give it time.

Guest kINGPIN

You could also try using putty to assist with blood flow and speed up recuperation time.  But still give it all the time it needs or it could get more serious.

After two months of grip training, I had pain that interfered with grip training.  I took a three week vacation, and came back with a PR.   I also reduced my training from three days a week to two, with heavier workouts.  I am still gaining and progressing.  Take a break, and try some different non-crushing exercises during the recess.

I had the same problem a little while after I started using the grippers. It probably had many reasons, but the most important one was that I simply progressed too fast. The ligaments and the bone structure of my hands weren't prepared for it.

The only cure is to rest your hand from grippers for a few weeks, and concentrate on other gripwork. Then work your way slooowly up the gripper chain again, staying off max work for at least a month. Retreat at even the slightest hint of the old pain. Ligament injuries take the longest to heal, as anyone who has "stepped over" knows.

Take it as an opportunity to explore grip beyond the world of crushing.

Guest Scott Clayton

I agree with what the others have said.  Maybe you need to take a short break.  

Also, I agree with Solan that you should probably try a few new grip exercises.  Often, I start to feel pain in my hands after a few weeks of a new exercise.  I think it has to do with certain muscles of the hand getting too much stronger than other muscles.  A couple weeks of good training on a wrist roller always takes care of any imbalances I may have.

Guest Jay Ansuini

I have never had pain in my hands from the grippers, but I have some extensive research with long term injuries.  Three years ago I herniated 2 disks in my back and the injury lasted 9 months because I didn't rest it properly in the beginning (they didn't start out herniated).  Additionally, this past Friday (8/31) was the first time I could lift a weight after a 20 month layoff with torn cartilage in my sternum.

I know this post doesn't deal directly with your problem, but I hope it might serve as a precaution.  Stay as far away from injuries as you can.  If it turns out to be serious you could have a VERY long time to kick yourself for it.  If you are at all concerned with this pain in your hands, please let it heal.  One to 4 weeks off is far better than several long months/years.