2"handle for everything?

Fatboy250

Would I be overtraining my grip if I used a 2" bar for everything? Like Pull-ups everyday, Deadlifts once a week, and all the bar pressing movements.

Jason

again, it depends.

I think not if you use it for pressing movements, or for pull-ups, because I then I feel that they do not make such a difference (thumbs not too stressed).

But if you use 2'' dumbells everyday for curls or whatever, your thumbs may tire and you might overtrain.

again, you have to try it for yourself, because everyone recovers differently.

train hard,

david

Do you really do pullups every day? If so, you may be overtraining more than just your grip.

My understanding is that your grip should be trained pretty much like the rest of your body. You have to give it time to rest. Look at your overall program. If you're using a thick bar on an already grip intensive exercise (like pulling movements) - more than say twice a week, you may be doing a little too much, especially if you're doing specific grip work in addition to this thick bar training.

I'm fairly new to grip training and don't pretend to know a whole lot, but that's what struck me.

Jason

Guest John Thorpe

By no way would I consider myself a grip expert, but I train everything on a fat bar. I'm 35, and just recently acquired an apollons axle and some pda farmers bars. So I ditched the regular barbell and have been using them exclusively for all my workout which is simply squat, deadlift overhead press and some farmers walks, pinching blocks and grippers. I actually have better luck deadlifting with this bar vs. the regular barbell. It doesn't chew up my hands like a reg barbell during deadlift with heavy weight.  I pulled more weight with this bar last week simply because it didn't hurt so much in my hands.  So go for it.  Just get enough rest between workouts.

John

Orlando, FL

Guest matureironman

I have been doing all of my barbell training with a 2" bar and have noticed a thickness in my wrist structure as well as definition and size in my forearms. My grip is also noticably stronger. Word of caution, don't try to replicate the weights you are currently using. Your tendons and ligaments will scream. Work up to the weights.

Guest Luke Reimer

Jason, about a couple months ago I put some 2 3/8 inch thick handles on my dumbbells and started using these dumbbells for virtually all my upper body training, including my biceps workouts. This regimen is additional to the exercises I have been doing specifically for my fingers and wrists (IronMind grippers and one handed dead lifts once or twice a week; wrist plate curls, regular forearm curls, and leverage bar once a week; and plate pinching the odd week). On top of this I have armwrestling practice once a week. Now I'm wondering if the the extra work with thick bars is responsible for a chronic soreness I've developed in my inner right forearm a few weeks back. It seems like I'm aware of the pain whenever I do anything with my arm now, and especially during workouts or armwrestling. Surprisingly, I am still making marginal gains on my grippers (with some pain) and maintaining with deads and pinches, but today I couldn't do anything with the leverage bar, and sometimes I have to cut short "normal" upper body routines (benching, pulldowns, etc) because of the pain. I took a week off from almost everything not long ago, but without any improvement. If you go with the thick bars for everything, let us know what happens. I've been weight training for almost a year,  grip training for two or three, and armwrestling for almost four, and this is my first experience with ongoing discomfort. I have to say those thick bars are looking kind of suspect. I might have to take them away and use them only for dedicated hand workouts.

Hi Jason-

So there you have it... the broad spectrum of responses.  Now you'll just have to choose the one that you agree with and give it a whirl.  Also keep in mind, while you experiment, that what works now may not work in the future.  And what doesn't work now, etc.

Personally, I don't think that a 2" bar is going to be that much different than a 1" bar, but as Luke may have found out, that extra 3/8" makes all the difference in the world.  Give it a try an see how you like it, although I wouldn't recommend a high volume routine with a 2" bar.

BC.

Thanks for all you guys input. I've decided to give the 2" bar a try for a while and see what happens. So far I haven't had any problems other than trying to use the amount of weight that I was previously using on the 1" bar.

Jason