A New Black's Log

Tom Black

I just posted a new Black Log.  I did some different things last week that I have not done before.  Check it out HERE on the GripPage.

Guest woody36

Tom,

do you have any pictures of jack chains so

that us people over the pond can get some idea

of what type of chain this is.

Also on the nail bending front,i read about some

guys straightening nails back out once they had

bent them.I tried without much success its much

harder than bending them at least to me, i was wandering if you had tried.

thanks.

Woody.

Guest Russell Latterman

I also had an injury similar to yours durring christmas break.  I ripped open my the palm of my right hand on a fence, the padded area between the thumb and the index finger.  It was a gut about an inch long and 1/4 in deep and it pulled a lot of fat to the surface!  There was no pain, but I looked at my hand and emediatley said "Nooooooo, my grip is gone!"  I thought it would be at least a month before I did any training with my right hand again.  I went to get a tetnis shot a week later and the doctor said I should have gotten stitches, but oh well.  It actually healed in two weeks.  Three days later my strength was back to normal, and a week later my strength had improved a lot.  What is hard to believe is that I actually lost stregth in my left hand and never regained it until a couple weeks after my injury healed!  I must have used my left hand too much when my right hand was hurt.  Oh well, no both my hands are stronger and I'm doin fine!  I do have one problem though.  Now my right hand allways feels a little bit cold.  Some kind of nerve damage or something.

Get Ultimate Grip!

Guest woody36

Strongman,

Thanks for the link much appreciated.

quick question if i may,have you yourself tried breaking

chains yet.If so how did you do and what gauge

chain did you use.

thanks in advance.

Woody.

Yep, that’s the stuff on the web site.  Mine was definitely zinc plated gauge 12.  Boy, those max load limit pounds look kind of wimpy, but the breaking limit is probably quite a bit more.  I’ll have to do something similar to my nail test on these chains and just keep adding until they pop, it must be over 100 at least, but the hard part is gripping the small chain, not the pulling force (the grip gives out before the full strength is applied).  I notice they don’t mention “Strongman Feats” in the lists of uses on the web site :)

I’ve straightened some nails, but mostly bars.  You can never get them fully straight because the metal does deform when bending.  When straightening nails the point is very dangerous, much more than when doing the initial bend (Sadly, I know this from experience).  When I bend those little “scroll” bolts and bars on my web site I bend them backwards over the initial bend to create weird looking bends and bumps.

Guest woody36

Tom,

Thanks for getting back to me much appreciated,

i have found some i have checked the width on my

tape and its 1/16 of an inch.I broke this easily

scattering pieces across the room,the pieces that

broke off resemble the letter J  the eye on the other

end is left intact.This is my experience with the

jack chain i dont know if its the same as yours.

again thankyou for your reply

Woody.

1/16th of an inch must be the gauge 16,a bit smaller than the gauge 12.  Gauge 12 looks to be almost 3 times stronger.  I had something else happen when I broke it.  You may have to do it more than once to notice the effect.  I had a couple pieces fly away too, found one a couple of days later!

Guest woody36

Tom,

If the size chart on the web site Strongman

suggested is to scale, my jack chain is the same

size as the 12 at 7/8 of an inch.Could you measure

your chain so i know what size i am looking for,

this was the only gauge they had.

sorry to be a nuisance but you did start me off with

all this. thanks Woody

My rough measurement was 3/32, which is 1/32 thicker than 1/16 for the thickness or the chain.  Although it's hard to measure this small, my chain is definitely bigger than 1/16".   The length of my link is 1", slightly bigger than your 7/8".  Sorry, you may have the smaller gauge.  If the chains are anything like the nails/bars, that 1/32" more in thickness makes a big difference, especially spread out over the many links that bend while performing the feat.  I'm no expert on this, maybe we can all hack it out together :)

Guest woody36

Tom,

thanks for getting back to me,i new yours had to be

a bigger gauge than mine.Your much stronger than

i am on all your lifts,i will try get the bigger gauge

and work up to breaking it.

thanks again.

Woody.

Woody, I have not tried to break Jack chain, yet - but it does sound very challenging! I'll let you know if I ever get around to trying it out.

Strongman